COA design - round 2

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

17 March 2008 21:33

Joseph McMillan;55545 wrote:

Personally, I still like the asymmetric look of two or three pallets in one flank and the roses in pale in the other.

As usual, I agree with Joseph.  It’s much more unique, perhaps a switch of tincture since you seem to be a fan of the Argent shield.

Perhaps: Argent the dexter flank charged with two pallets Gules, on a chief also Gules three roses Argent barbed and seeded proper

Slakrking;55551 wrote:

I also prefer #2, its crisp, identifiable. the first depiction seems more appropriate to the hood of a hot rod

I was thinking the gas tank of a chopper wink

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

18 March 2008 20:10

Dohrman Byers;55558 wrote:

Terry—

Here is another version of the arms as blazoned by Joseph.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1850/terry01rj4.png

Oooooh…pretty! :D

Terry, I also like your #2, but feel it’s a bit plain compared to your previous examples.  I was kinda fond of the pallets and agree with Kevin that a simple tincture change may have improved it a bit.

Take care,

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

19 March 2008 01:06

just messing around with a thought

[ATTACH]415[/ATTACH]

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

19 March 2008 10:36

Kevin -

Thank you again for your help and input.  This is a very interesting thought.  I like the section where they "weave" together.

Let me post a few more things in a bit and see what you think.

hahaha….look - almost back where I started.  :D

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

19 March 2008 13:49

So….taking the blazon that Joseph posted above and the emblazonment by Father Byers I came up with this which includes a slight variation.

I know some of the proportions and alignment are off, but please be forgiving smile

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

19 March 2008 14:02

Terry;55706 wrote:

http://omega1.us/personal/new/perfess1.gif

It’s a tad busy in my opinion.  It’s a nice idea, but where the tressure and the rayonny come together, it gets a bit messy.

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

19 March 2008 14:06

werewolves;55708 wrote:

It’s a tad busy in my opinion.  It’s a nice idea, but where the tressure and the rayonny come together, it gets a bit messy.

Yeah - that is what I was referring to when I mentioned proportions and alignments.  I think if the rayonny was a bit smaller and a little lower it would remove the "messy".  At that point, the only thing that would cross the line of the rayonny was the single line of the tressure.

It ended up this way because as you know, my computer graphics ability is a bit limited.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 March 2008 14:17

Why the tressure at all?  You have several very nice designs in hand—I would try to repress the urge to complicate things unnecessarily.

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

19 March 2008 14:23

Joseph McMillan;55710 wrote:

Why the tressure at all?  You have several very nice designs in hand—I would try to repress the urge to complicate things unnecessarily.

True.  I liked the tressure for in my mind the overall elegance it adds.  I know everyone’s taste and view of things are different, just my opinion.

I am also attempting to rule out any possible idea or variation.  When I finalize my COA I want to be 100% certain.  I do not want to end up a "X" amount of years from now saying "I thought of this back then, wish I had gone with it instead of this"

I know I am most likely appearing to be very fickle and jump all over the place, thus annoying many of you.  This is not my intent.  I just really want to be sure.

Thank you all for putting up with me on this.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

19 March 2008 17:24

No worries, take your time and be happy with it, Terry!

Kyle=

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

19 March 2008 18:22

What about a bordure per fess argent and gules instead of the tressure?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 March 2008 18:56

By all means take your time.  I didn’t mean you shouldn’t look at new ideas for as long as you like.  As Mike McCartney (I think) says, blazon in haste, repent at leisure.  I just would advise that you keep things as simple as possible consistent with being distinctive.  Don’t do what Lord Lyon Innes of Learney did to Sir Gordon MacMillan before figuring out that he was the clan chief back in 1951 (the chief’s arms being this minus the three salmon and two cross crosslets fitchy):

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/MacMillan Armorial4_files/image003.png

Or this matriculation to a cadet of MacMillan of Murlaggan a few years later (the basic arms being minus the bordure, the crescent, the Lochaber axe, and the weaver’s shuttle).

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/MacMillan Armorial4_files/image019.png

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

19 March 2008 19:04

kmansfield;55730 wrote:

What about a bordure per fess argent and gules instead of the tressure?

I think this would be a much simpler route if you like the bordure effect (like the tressure) but would give it a better, cleaner look IMHO.

But it doesn’t seem that the bordure is necessary either!

BTW, I also like the woven assymmetrical design that was put forth by werewolves.  You seemed to like the assymmetrical approach, and this is something different but very nice.  I like it.

Kyle=

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

19 March 2008 22:47

Dohrman Byers;55558 wrote:

Terry—

Here is another version of the arms as blazoned by Joseph.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1850/terry01rj4.png

An excellent variation on the original offerings. Unique but still very tasteful in design. This version has my vote. Good thinking Joseph!

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

19 March 2008 23:01

Terry;55712 wrote:

I know I am most likely appearing to be very fickle and jump all over the place, thus annoying many of you.  This is not my intent.  I just really want to be sure.

Not at all, being sure is all important, and in the end your opinion is the only one that matters.

I saw your cleaned up version above, but I still feel it’s busy.  If you like the tressure, perhaps:

Per fess Gules and Argent within a tressure flory three roses all counter changed