Denny Heraldry Works

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

17 March 2008 12:23

These are some of the arms I have worked on for the past 40 days or so.

Ton de Witte - I am re-doing them as I ruined the whole while putting in the motto; I made these with an affrontee helm and therefore affrontee wings; and for these arms my inspiration for the mantling was, believe it or not, a green and white candy cane.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/tondewittearmsnewcolor.jpg

Discalced Carmelites - in this one I followed the Brunatre (brown) of the Discalced Carmelites instead of the ancient Sable of the Carmelite arms; I also tried to make the scroll work into a doorway.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/DiscalcedCarmelitearmsfianl.jpg

Assumption Catholic Church - this is the design that they and I have come to after these many years of design; they wanted the archdiocesan arms i chief to show loyalty to their new association from a Servite parish to an archdiocesan one; the arms are based off of the many wonderful paintings of the Assumption of the BVM where she is depicted rising up with a crescent beneath her feet and in this case that is done by her cross being fleury to denote her and her son our Lord Jesus; note how the shield looks like a chalice of sorts…not intended but brought to my attention as such.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/Assumptionparishnewarmscolortwo.jpg

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

17 March 2008 12:25

... continued ...

David Wooten - in these I chose to play tricks with the eye all through out it…that is why one sees the fretts raguly going both down and up so as to bring the eye back up from the bottom of the shield to the helm and crest…at the risk of being conceited I found it rather clever. wink

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

17 March 2008 12:28

... continued ...

Vanessa McGoff - my niece and we did them to show the pink knot.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/Rachelarmscolor.jpg

Bishop Sheridan - in this one I only wanted to do his personal arms - without diocesan arms - and to make it more personal I placed the Celtic Cross there as a reflection on His Grace being not only Irish, but a Hibernian.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/BpSheridanarmscolorfinal.jpg

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

17 March 2008 12:29

Denny -

As always, amazing work!  I really like the shading on both Tons and David’s.

Good to have you back smile

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

17 March 2008 12:30

I am currently working on two emblazons of the arms of a Knight of Malta, the arms of the EOHSJ for a knight of that order, and on the arms of a fellow artist. I will update this thread as I can. C’ya.

P.S. Thanks Terry. Yes, good to be back, Fr. Peter told me I can come back now without breaking my Lenten sacrifice, so here I am. smile

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

17 March 2008 12:31

I only have a moment right now for a quick run through of your work here.  Seems you have been quite busy during this Lenten season!  Nicely done!  One quick comment (for now):  I like what you have done with the motto scroll for the Discalced Carmelites.  (Gives me many ideas for a bookplate, as books are often the gateway to knowledge.)  I like it!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

17 March 2008 12:42

Thank you good Rev. I’m glad you took some inspiration from the scroll work of that piece. I look forward to seeing it when you have it done. C’ya.

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

17 March 2008 16:58

Beautiful work Denny. Clearly the desert air suits you - provides inspiration.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

17 March 2008 20:32

Thank you George. I appreciate it.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

17 March 2008 21:21

Welcome back Denny.  Lovely work as always, and as always I wish I could see them in person, as I suspect they loose some vibrancy in translation.  I am especially fond of the de Witte arms (in particular the wings and mantling).  Congrats.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

18 March 2008 00:01

Donnchadh,

Great work as always! I’ll echo Kevin’s post by wishing I could see them in person also. The amount of detail that is lost in the electronic version of my own arms that you emblazoned for me is quite considerable. Seeing this latest batch, I’m sure that each is a unique masterpiece! :D

As for a personal favorite…I like the Assumption Catholic Church arms best. The way the slender crescent cradles the cross and all of the shading and light is "spot on!"

BTW, I had your emblazonment of my arms matted and framed and hung it next to the front door. It never fails to catch my eye each time I leave the house and I’m always getting complements on it by friends and family. I will highly recommend you to anyone wanting a beautiful emblazonment of their arms!

Take care,

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

18 March 2008 04:20

Very nice work Denny, I especially like the first one but that is not a suprise wink

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

18 March 2008 11:46

Thanks Kevin, Phil and Ton.

Yes, they are more ‘alive’ in person. I wish I had a high end scanner, but I do not. I have a nice, functional scanner, but it looses a whole lot IMO in the scan. In fact, the white on gold is lost all together and in the scan it comes out pink and more often than not the gold colors I use (cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, tan, light brown, and sometimes canary yellow) always seems to not only pixel, which one can expect, but also to pick up the colors around it and then blend them together. From my perspective it is very, very frustrating. So, there is always something lost in translation with my works. I am considering, however, simply taking a digital pic of them and then posting them on my email ring and here.

I’m glad that your friends and family like it too Phil. It sounds like a nice place of honor to have it and I am very humbled. But as an opportunity to educate anyone who does not know of this, I ask if you’ve used UV blocking glass? I’m sure you know this already, but in case others do not … with all art – no matter what medium – you really must use glass that is UV blocking as nothing, and I mean nothing, is more harmful to all art, including my own, like UV rays. And if one places art in a place where more light can hit it – doorway, across from a window etc – you simply have to have UV blocking glass. If you do not have a UV blocking glass in your frame it will kill any piece of art you have in there in a very short time. Good, quality UV blocking glass is relatively inexpensive considering the photos, art, etc you are trying to protect. You don’t even have to get it from a custom framer, as I believe you can get it at places like hobby and thrift stores like Michael’s and Hobby Lobby, so you don’t need to break the bank to get it. Just telling everyone in case they don’t know that and if they did, well, then ignore this part. wink

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

18 March 2008 16:45

Excellent work, Denny!  You are indeed a talented heraldic artist!  :D:cool:

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

19 March 2008 01:53

Thanks Stephen. smile

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 March 2008 02:05

These are th begining arms I’ve done for my Irish Civic Heradlry Roll to compliment my Irish Chiefs Heradlry Roll. I will include the 4 provinces (yet to decide on Meath, which is really #5), as well as all 32 counties and the major cities and or ports.

This time the gold/yellow is much better, but the pixelling is worse. I’m sorry for the lack of quality scans.

Ulster

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/IrishCivicUlstertwo.jpg

Munster

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/Donnchadh37/IrishCivicMunster.jpg