Crest… (Terry S )

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

02 April 2008 01:07

Stephen - Thank you sir.

Kevin - thank you for the input and help.  I will make some adjustments then post again to see if it is more correct proportionally.

Fr. Byers - Thank you sir.  It is a saying a learned a long time ago and the chances are VERY good I forgot spelling, style and syntax.  I would be thankful for any and all help.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

02 April 2008 02:42

werewolves;56584 wrote:

As for your emblazonment, it’s really good.  I have only one small criticism.  The crest should be a little larger in relation to the rest of the design.  I would make it at least the same general size as the helm.

In many early medieval heraldic illustrations the proportions are about 1/3 crest, 1/3 helm and 1/3 shield. The Court of the Lord Lyon still tries to follow these basic proportions on their illustrations but this is not always possible with marshalled arms.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

02 April 2008 15:07

Nice arms, nice crest, nice emblazonment.

I tried making your sea-lion Or, to make him a little more vibrant, but my fill job was unsatisfactory, so I didn’t post it.

Looks nice, though!

Kyle=

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

03 April 2008 00:17

Vibrant, unique, and very much "alive"!  Nicely done!  And congratulations!

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

03 April 2008 12:20

Terrific job all around Terry. Congrats!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

03 April 2008 22:49

Terry,

I like the crest very much!  :D I would advise using the fridge test (tm) for a few weeks to a month before registering just to make sure you want to keep it.

Take care,

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

03 April 2008 23:24

I agree with Philip.  As the old saying goes:  "Assume in haste; regret at your leisure."  Try placing these arms on your fridge until you either come to love them, or until you come to tire of them.  If it turns out that you don’t like these arms, then please let me know.  I have a few family members who would love to assume arms like these!  wink

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

04 April 2008 10:49

Thank you all for your comments and compliments.  Looking back at the very first thread and the jumbled mess that I thought was heraldry, makes me very thankful for all of your help and guidance.  :D

Concerning the Latin….I had to reach out to the only Latinist I know back east.  I hope to hear from him today.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

04 April 2008 11:46

Terry;56747 wrote:

Concerning the Latin….I had to reach out to the only Latinist I know back east.  I hope to hear from him today.

Have you considered Greek?

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

04 April 2008 11:56

kimon;56756 wrote:

Have you considered Greek?

I have actually considered that.  But I would need your help.  My parents were second generation, Pappou and YiaYia were dead set on the kids (my dad and the rest) only speaking English as they were now American.  So sadly I never learned as a child.  I am trying to learn now, but it is a slow process.

I believe due to my Surname this would be very fitting smile

The motto is:

"Honour is the reward of virtue" or as Fr. Byers suggested "the honor of virtue"

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

04 April 2008 13:05

Terry;56757 wrote:

I have actually considered that.  But I would need your help.  My parents were second generation, Pappou and YiaYia were dead set on the kids (my dad and the rest) only speaking English as they were now American.  So sadly I never learned as a child.  I am trying to learn now, but it is a slow process.

I believe due to my Surname this would be very fitting smile

"the honor of virtue" would be "Αρετής τιμή" and it’s even mentioned in Aristotle’s "Magna Moralia"  ("Ηθικών Μεγάλων")

"Honor is the reward of virtue" would be "Τιμή η ανταμοιβή της αρετής" or "Αρετής ανταμοιβή η τιμή"

(unfortunately, I don’t have access to polytonic versions of the above except for the first one, though when capitalized it’s not needed)

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

04 April 2008 13:10

Thank you sir!  I am going to try to do a graphic version (something that could be on an emblazonment).  If you wouldn’t mind reviewing it to make sure I didn’t mess it up.

Knowing my luck, I would type it, make a mistake and it would end up saying "honor is the reward of a goat"  :D

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

04 April 2008 13:37

Terry;56763 wrote:

Thank you sir!  I am going to try to do a graphic version (something that could be on an emblazonment).  If you wouldn’t mind reviewing it to make sure I didn’t mess it up.

Knowing my luck, I would type it, make a mistake and it would end up saying "honor is the reward of a goat"  smile

Since all uppercase is the norm for mottoes, here are the capitalized versions:

"ΑΡΕΤΗΣ ΤΙΜΗ"

"ΤΙΜΗ Η ΑΝΤΑΜΟΙΒΗ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΕΤΗΣ"

"ΑΡΕΤΗΣ ΑΝΤΑΜΟΙΒΗ Η ΤΙΜΗ"

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

04 April 2008 14:27

kimon;56764 wrote:

Anytime smile

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

04 April 2008 15:06

Terry;56766 wrote:

Question for other members:  Is splitting a motto, top and bottom of the achievement an okay thing to do or is it looked upon unfavorably.

I believe that is more typically done when one is displaying two mottoes. There are customary placements (English, below the achievement; Scottish, above), but I don’t believe there are hard and fast rules on it - certainly nothing that would prevent it in an emblazonment.