Request for ideas - 9/11

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

19 May 2008 23:35

In 2006 I created a website called Project 2996, dedicated to remembering the victims of the 9/11 attacks.  The basic premise is that I tried to get 2996 volunteers to each write a single blog post or website page to remember a single victim.  That year I got about 3400 volunteers, and most did what they said they would.  On 9/11/2006 my site got over 1 million hits before it shut down at 10:30 am.  Last year, for health reasons I did a vastly scaled back version.

Now I’m getting ready to launch this year’s effort, and I’d like to have a new logo to go along with the new effort.  And since I’m such a fan of the art I thought a heraldic design would fit the bill nicely.

I’d be very interested in help in designing arms for this website/movement, even if it’s just tossing out some ideas.

I’d like the arms to not be American-centric, and because the website focuses on remembering the victims instead on memorializing them I’d like the arms not to be somber (i.e., no candles or black fields).

I actually thought I had a good idea to make the field semy of flags, using the different flags of the victims nationalities…this turned out not to be such a good idea.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

19 May 2008 23:52

Sable, two candles issuant from base flamant Argent.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

20 May 2008 12:21

Uh, Michael he specifically said ,"(i.e., no candles or black fields)"....

I’d suggest green, since it is the color of hope.

My suggestion would be, Vert, a hand holding a torch proper from base, or something to that effect, as I’m not good at blazoning.

It’d represent the flame of rememberance and the statue of Liberty—> New York.

Cheers,

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

20 May 2008 13:11

MohamedHossam wrote:

Uh, Michael he specifically said ...

Mohamed, I think Michael knew that and was choosing to make a point.

Dale Challener Roe;58508 wrote:

...because the website focuses on remembering the victims instead on memorializing them…

Not to be pedantic, but what is the difference between remembering and memorializing?

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

20 May 2008 13:42

Joseph McMillan;58532 wrote:

Not to be pedantic, but what is the difference between remembering and memorializing?

Colloquially, in the context of people who have died I think remembering connotes thinking about the person and who they were, while memolrializing tend to focus on their death.

When I remember my father, I think of the times we spent together, vacations, his voice, his odd habits….When I memorialize him I think about how sad it was that he died at 45, the way he died, how I felt when he died…

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

20 May 2008 13:54

Michael Swanson;58509 wrote:

Sable, two candles issuant from base flamant Argent.

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is an image I’m staying away from for several reasons.  Not only is the image of a black background with two lit candles in roughly the same orientation as the twin towers copyrighted, but it’s also currently embroiled in a copyright violation lawsuit by a for-profit entity.  And while I have assurance that, as a not-for-profit .org, the copyright holder wouldn’t mind me using it, I don’t want to get into that fray.  Second, a small number of family members of the victims, who I occasionally exchange emails with have requested that I not use the somber imagery that has become so connected with 9/11.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

20 May 2008 14:34

Joseph McMillan;58532 wrote:

Mohamed, I think Michael knew that and was choosing to make a point.

Actually, Joseph gives me too much credit.  I read the message only part way and threw in my input to et the ball rolling.  Sorry.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

20 May 2008 14:38

Michael Swanson;58538 wrote:

Actually, Joseph gives me too much credit.  I read the message only part way and threw in my input to et the ball rolling.  Sorry.

Michael,

You may not be aware of this, but brainstorming has rules:

1. There is no fault

2. There is no blame

3. There are no Sorrys

4. There are no bad ideas

wink

Joe123

Joe123
Total Posts:  82
Joined  02-08-2007

20 May 2008 15:03

Interesting Project Dale - congratulations on such a strong online reception.

I would say first and foremost the design should incorporate symbols which reflect the American "values" that illuminated the lives of those that where attacked that day.  Sounds a little worn-out to some to talk about "freedom" (and as a word, it has been pretty abused) but that, in my view, should be the defining feature of your design.  Not "freedom" in the sense of a bunch of Colonial American men in white wigs performing their historical roles, but in the very real sense of the common individual daily exercising his "freedom" to work where he/she wants, pursue the dreams that inspires them, and/or raise a family in the city or countryside which makes them most happy.  I say this becuase I am genuinely shocked and saddened when I deploy to other countries (not the nice tourist destinations by the way) and see the people there actively and systematically denied access to these basic freedoms - it’s called oppression - and it’s a fact of life in most of the world.

The logo / Arms should celebrate our ability to move unfettered in any direction we chose… that is what the people in the towers and pentagon were doing when they were killed by people who hoped to dampen or extinguish that ability of ours.

Regarding the inclusion of all nationalities - one should not forget that while this was an attack which killed many people of different origins, it was first and foremost an attack on "America"  - very specifically in-fact.  It was an attempt to actually physically destroy and/or undermine the institutions which have defined us - our successful financial institutions (twin towers), our powerful and fine military (pentagon), and potentially, our civilian leadership elected by the people (the white house).  So I would be wary of including symbolism which may detract from the fact that this was an attack on our homeland and our soil.  Other "nations" were not attacked as we were that day, and it is our call to action alone, despite the generous help and assistance we recieved from others in our response to that act of war.

A few humble suggestions from someone not nearly as heraldically conversant as most on this forum - perhaps symbolism which reflects:

1)  Mobility - the ability to move forward, backward, to the side, or any other direction that we chose.

2)  Family - love, acceptance, protection.

3)  Religious Freedom - when you want it, how you want it, where you want it.

4)  Prosperity - as much is there as you can reach for.

5)  Might - we will defend these things that are important to us.

R/s,

Joe

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

20 May 2008 15:18

What about two stylized trees, budding with new life, their branches reaching out and entwining, perhaps rising from a mount of ashes?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

20 May 2008 15:25

Dohrman Byers;58543 wrote:

What about two stylized trees, budding with new life, their branches reaching out and entwining, perhaps rising from a mount of ashes?

This is an interesting idea but I believe that the Father meant sapplings rather than trees growing from the ash mound.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

20 May 2008 15:56

After some more thought on this matter, it came to me why I was uncomfortable with the idea of having a coat-of-arms associated with those who were killed on 11 September. Coats-of-arms have their origins in feudal militarism and when one considers how the deaths of these innocents were misused as political propaganda to justify the start of two poorly planned and, thus far, unsuccessful wars, I think that the arms that are designed should be placed on a roundel rather than one of the many traditional shield shapes. I see no advantage to your website to confuse what happened on that day and those that followed these incidents with the controversial political and military choices that followed.

A roundel would also have the advantage of being associated with the "Circle of Life", the "Wheel of Life" and the cycle of mourning.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

20 May 2008 16:01

David Pritchard;58548 wrote:

I see no advantage to your website to confuse what happened on that day and those that followed these incidents with the controversial political and military choices that followed.

As a matter of fact I take great pains to make clear that while I may have certain political views about the attacks and the wars that followed, my website takes no position on either side.  So I think the idea of a roundel is a fine suggestion.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

20 May 2008 16:03

David Pritchard;58545 wrote:

This is an interesting idea but I believe that the Father meant sapplings rather than trees growing from the ash mound.

I like this idea, particularly the use of saplings instead of full grown trees

Joe123

Joe123
Total Posts:  82
Joined  02-08-2007

20 May 2008 19:06

Gentlemen,

My much admired friend David and I actually feel the same way about the creation of Arms for this project - but - obviously come from different angles.  I too think the last thing that needs to be presented is an inappropriate heraldic treatment of such a meaningful event.  My comments were personal thoughts presented to contribute something to the discussion in the hope that my experiences in the aftermath of that attack might lend something of value.  I’m a proudly a-political officer in service to the country and don’t make or take political stands.

All that being said, Dale, I’m sure you will design something beautiful and fitting.

I’ll close my contributions in this vein as this is not the appropriate forum…

Best Regards, Joe

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

21 May 2008 09:10

Dohrman Byers;58543 wrote:

Fr.,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I’ve been playing with it and I’m having trouble with it, I think largely because I’m having trouble with the emblazon.