How to politely say…

Vijay Kaul

Vijay Kaul
Total Posts:  68
Joined  18-07-2004

12 June 2008 17:04

"Your arms’re ugly!" Just kidding, of course, but seriously: Has the society developed any tips, tricks, and suggestions on how to approach an individual or organization with the unfortunate news that their pseudo-heraldic logo could be so much more with some proper design effort?

I ask because, in this age when petrol is in short supply, bio-diesel is becoming comparatively cheaper and cheaper. (Plus, I hear it makes your car smell like french fries. Actually ... is that a good thing?) Here, in Takoma Park, MD, there are some folk organizing to set up a bio-diesel pumping station. They seem like good people (ok, the one guy I talked to seemed like a good person), but, well, take a look for yourself.

It’s almost not terrible. More importantly, the group is just getting off the ground, and so they shouldn’t be entirely opposed to some changes in their logo. I was hoping that if the AHS could approach them with a supportive letter explaining the benifits of good heraldic design, they might be responsive. After all, they chose to pattern themselves a "guild" because "The name ‘Green Guild’ is a throwback to a time when people worked cooperatively to produce things to meet their own needs instead of merely consume them. Guilds were a historic precursor to both trade unions and cooperatives." So they have at least some appreciation for history.

Of course, these people seem business savvy, and may have invested in trademark type things already. I don’t know about that, and I’m not (yet?) a guildsman.

Just a thought for some AHS outreach.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

15 June 2008 16:23

Make I suggest the following:

Vert, goutty d’Or, fess a two dexter hands embracing Or (like the shaking hands symbol of the Odd Fellows).

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

17 June 2008 16:58

David Pritchard;59314 wrote:

Vert, goutty d’Or, fess a two dexter hands embracing Or (like the shaking hands symbol of the Odd Fellows).

The French blazon term for two hands "shaking" or clasped is a "foi".

David

ninest123