My Grandfather and the Purple Heart

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

24 June 2008 14:57

Jeremy Hammond;59775 wrote:

Argent, a cross quarter-pierced, the horizontal/pale(?) arms vert, the vertical/fess(?) arms tenne.

I think you could also blazon that, "Argent a pale Vert, overall a fess counterchanged Tenne and Argent."

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

24 June 2008 15:02

Do pales come before fesses?  That is, any particular reason it couldn’t also be Argent a Fess Tenne, overall a Pale counterchanged Vert and Argent?

P.S.  An excellent design.  Clean, simple, and highly meaningful.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 June 2008 15:07

George Hammond is my mother’s father and my mother is not an heiress. Otherwise, I would have designed arms for him first and then mine with a slight difference.

I have my mothers last name because there is no father in the picture (and if any one was worried, it’s not a sensitive issue.) But I can see why you may have tripped on that one.

OK—sorry to have jumped to conclusions. I’d plead in mitigation that we’ve had several people before who wanted to design different arms for everyone in their families, and it drives me NUTS!

Quote:

Here are the potential arms of George Hammond:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/jeremy6857/george_hammond.gif

The design is taken from another symbol used to indicate him in life. George has been a lobster-fisherman forever. You may or may not know that in order to tell which lobster buoy is yours from far away on your boat, it is painted differently. Every lobsterman has his own design, and I could be mistaken, but I’m fairly sure they have to be registered. They even post one of their buoys on the top of their lobster boat, much like a flag. (Neat little heraldry link there.) At least, that is the tradition Down-East Maine.

His buoy is white with two perpendicular orange and green stripes.

I think this is a brilliant source for an armorial design. If I’m reading you right, the buoy looks exactly like the shield (except for the shape)?

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

24 June 2008 15:19

I like the design, and after reading your reasoning it seems like a great fit.

Would the crest be a demi-lobster?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

24 June 2008 15:38

Quote:

For a Christmas gift (yep, I’m an early bird) I’ve been thinking about designing arms and emblazoning them for my grandfather. I’ll hit a couple birds with one stone too, because my Uncles (or at least the eldest) would appreciate an heraldic tradition as well.

Any ways, George Hammond, my grandfather, served in World War II and received the purple heart for injuries he received in Normandy. Now, I’m not confident that his good conduct medal, or European campaign medal are worthy of note, but I was wondering if his Purple Heart was of a high enough caliber to include in his armorial achievement.

Here is where this apple, me, will upset the applecart. By and large I support the guidelines. But, this is a place where I part company with it and not because I want to be a jerk.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I believe all military medals awarded to a serviceman/woman could be displayed beneath their shields allowing for good taste of course. I understand the difference between personal and not, and I never served, but, come on here! Any time a medal is given it should be honored. And a military medal should be allowed to be honored beneath the shield of the armiger. I also hold that true for any police/law enforcement medal that can be awarded. No I do not believe including Boy Scouts medals as well…then again the Parvuli Dei medal I got while a scout would look nice…nah… J/K smile

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 15:40

Joseph McMillan;59778 wrote:

OK—sorry to have jumped to conclusions. I’d plead in mitigation that we’ve had several people before who wanted to design different arms for everyone in their families, and it drives me NUTS!

I understand pet-peaves. wink And if I do a roll of arms for the descendants of George Hammond, they will be arms that are derived from his. (Except for the children of his daughters such as myself, and my cousin who’s arms I posted a couple messages down HERE My cousin wanted his, and my grandfather deserves his.

Joseph McMillan;59778 wrote:

I think this is a brilliant source for an armorial design. If I’m reading you right, the buoy looks exactly like the shield (except for the shape)?

Thank you very much. The buoy isn’t quite the same. Where the orange and green stripes overlap, (which are actually neon on the buoys)  there is an ugly reddish color from where the paints mixed. I thought I’d leave that out. Also, when you turn the buoy, there is a point where all you see is the green stripe.

As for the shape, two dimensionally, they are quite similar. The shield may be a bit fatter.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 15:41

Dale Challener Roe;59779 wrote:

I like the design, and after reading your reasoning it seems like a great fit.

I’m not quite sure yet. I was trying to think of a way I could honor is efforts in Normandy. I’ll get back to you on that one.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 15:53

Madalch;59776 wrote:

I think you could also blazon that, "Argent a pale Vert, overall a fess counterchanged Tenne and Argent."

With this blazon, is there any risk the pale and fess would not be the same width? I’m not necessarily partial to the cross, but for aesthetic purposes, I would want to ensure they remain equal.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Joined  08-02-2008

24 June 2008 15:53

I suppose if you wanted to go non-traditional, you could use a WWII-era G.I. helmet for the helm.  Going back earlier, for an interesting cant as well as something a tad out of the ordinary, you could use a lobsterpot helmet. :cool:

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 16:02

David E. Cohen;59786 wrote:

I suppose if you wanted to go non-traditional, you could use a WWII-era G.I. helmet for the helm.  Going back earlier, for an interesting cant as well as something a tad out of the ordinary, you could use a lobsterpot helmet. :cool:

Kudos to the gentlemen in other threads who would like modern helmets to mount their crests on, but call me old fashioned. While I’m the artist, and have control, it will be something less anachronistic.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Joined  08-02-2008

24 June 2008 16:06

Just a thought.  I actually tend to be of the same mind as to modern helmets, but with a lobsterpot, you are looking at something from the early to mid seventeenth century, if not earlier.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

24 June 2008 16:31

Dale Challener Roe;59779 wrote:

If you decide to go this way, I would make sure the lobster is Proper, not Gules.  You don’t want a "cooked" lobster for a crest!  (Or at least I assume you don’t!)

Kyle=

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

24 June 2008 16:33

Kyle MacLea;59789 wrote:

You don’t want a "cooked" lobster for a crest!

Well, what do you think happened to all those lobsters his granddad caught?  wink

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 June 2008 16:34

I’m not positive how to describe the arms with different colors, but I’ll give it a shot.

Argent, a cross quarter-pierced, the horizontal/pale(?) arms vert, the vertical/fess(?) arms tenne.

Wasn’t it in this forum that we recently had someone quote a communication from one of the English officers of arms to the effect that arms should, if possible, be blazoned to conform to what they look like, if possible?  To me, this design is obviously a cross, and should be blazoned as a cross, as you have done, not with some complicated circumlocution.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 16:49

Joseph McMillan;59792 wrote:

circumlocution.

THAT… is a new word for me. I’ll be back. :D

... I do agree with you. If we don’t go with the pale-fess route as previously suggested… what would need to change with my blazon?