My Grandfather and the Purple Heart

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 16:52

Kyle MacLea;59789 wrote:

If you decide to go this way, I would make sure the lobster is Proper, not Gules.  You don’t want a "cooked" lobster for a crest!  (Or at least I assume you don’t!)

Kyle=

What about a lobster….

http://static.flickr.com/29/96931986_f66a85ac8f_o.jpg

... per pale azure and proper?!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

24 June 2008 16:52

Jeremy,

Until you explained your pedigree a bit, I was going to suggest not designing new arms for your grandfather (as Joe did). Now that I understand your relationship to him a bit better, I say "GO FOR IT!" You’ve got an outstanding design! Simple, unique, and effective. I would also add that the Purple Heart should hang from his emblazonment. As for a blazon, might I suggest: Argent a cross per saltire Tenne and Vert quarter-pierced.

BTW, I love your new badge!

Take care,

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 16:57

PBlanton;59796 wrote:

Argent a cross per saltire Tenne and Vert quarter-pierced.

BTW, I love your new badge!

I like that blazon a LOT. That’s probably the simplest way to describe it, you have an excellent eye for hidden geometry.

And thank you for the compliment, I’m quite fond of it as well. My badge has been an ongoing project and when I showed this design to my fiancee she yelled: "That’s it!"  I knew it then.

oh, and yes… my pedigree is an interesting one. If anyone is interested in a tough genealogy project, let me know :-D

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 June 2008 18:11

Phil’s blazon is clever, but anyone working from it is going to go crazy figuring out what it means.  I would just be more straightforward:  Argent a cross quarterpierced the upright Tenne and the crossbar Vert.

For upright, you could also use palewise or vertical arm; for the crossbar, fesswise or horizontal arm.  I think this would be clearer and more obvious than Phil’s alternative or any of the other formulations.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 18:29

I liked the cleverness, but you make a good point.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

24 June 2008 18:44

Donnchadh;59782 wrote:

I just wanted to show there are other opinions on the matter even if in the minority.

Considering that the discussion is about US Armed Forces medals and decorations, your comment about opinions brought to mind an old saying about opinions that seems to be commonly used in every branch of the armed forces.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

24 June 2008 18:50

Jeremy Hammond;59803 wrote:

I liked the cleverness, but you make a good point.

Cleverness to me is the mundane in silk stockings. Better to find the blazon that is the best rather than settle for one that simply sounds or appears to be the best.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

24 June 2008 18:57

Dear Jeremy,

You suggested that you would like the crest to allude to your grandfather’s service in Normandy.

May I suggest the following slightly anachronistic crest -

"A demi-norman proper holding a heart purpure."

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Joined  15-10-2005

24 June 2008 19:03

Dear Philip,

I am not keen on your suggested blazon ("Argent, a cross per saltire Tenne and Vert quarter-pierced."), mainly, because the quarter-piercing covers the ‘per saltire’ division of the cross.

I tend to agree with the suggestion that a blazon based on the cross would be best.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Joined  15-10-2005

24 June 2008 19:08

Dear Jeremy,

Another suggestion for a crest (but without the obvious allusion to Normandy) -

"A demi-lobster affrontee proper holding aloft a heart purpure.".

Obviously, the helmet would have to be placed facing the front, also.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 20:28

I was conceding when I said the argument against the saltire colored cross was a good point.

As for a a demi-norman, how would that be emblazoned so that it didn’t look like any other soldier from that region?

I was wondering if the arms of Normandy could be used in some manner. Perhaps in the form of a flag. Or would that connote some sort of claim?

This blazon-esque description just popped into my head: Issuing from an armored leg charged with a purple heart at the ankle, the flag of Normandy.

:|  ... eh… it’s a start.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

24 June 2008 23:03

Jeremy Hammond;59811 wrote:

This blazon-esque description just popped into my head: Issuing from an armored leg charged with a purple heart at the ankle, the flag of Normandy.

You have gone overboard with this theme, gradually reducing it to a tacky crest. Your own arms are attractive and balanced, try to do the same for your grandfather.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 June 2008 23:08

I was wondering if the arms of Normandy could be used in some manner. Perhaps in the form of a flag. Or would that connote some sort of claim?

I was thinking maybe a lion passant guardant Or holding or charged with something.  If your grandfather actually participated in the assault, his EAME medal would have a bronze arrowhead on it; that might be something to work with.

Quote:

The armored leg charged with a heart Purpure is an interesting idea; issuing the flag of Normandy just sounds bizarre.

What branch of the Army was he in, and what unit?  Maybe some material to be gleaned from there.  Home town—anything on the civic arms or seal, if any?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 June 2008 23:54

David Pritchard;59814 wrote:

You have gone overboard with this theme, gradually reducing it to a tacky crest. Your own arms are attractive and balanced, try to do the same for your grandfather.

:|  ... eh… it’s a start.

I certainly haven’t committed to the crest. Like I said, it was off the top of my head. You’re right, my grandfather deserves the same.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

25 June 2008 00:03

Joseph McMillan;59816 wrote:

I was thinking maybe a lion passant guardant Or holding or charged with something.  If your grandfather actually participated in the assault, his EAME medal would have a bronze arrowhead on it; that might be something to work with.

The armored leg charged with a heart Purpure is an interesting idea; issuing the flag of Normandy just sounds bizarre.

What branch of the Army was he in, and what unit?  Maybe some material to be gleaned from there.  Home town—anything on the civic arms or seal, if any?

When he was in Normandy fighting, he was in the 83rd Infantry and wore this patch:

http://www.ushmm.org/lcmedia/photo/wlc/image/alpha/n05645.jpg

If you can’t tell, the symbol is every letter in the word Ohio. And we know how we feel about letters in arms.

Before the invasion he trained in the 63rd Infantry in England and wore this patch:

http://www.ushmm.org/lcmedia/photo/wlc/image/alpha/n05639.jpg

Much cooler! I had thought about using a flaming sword with a drop of blood, but I just wasn’t sure it was the best considering he only trained with this unit, and I don’t think he was with it long.

I can’t find anything on Harrington, Maine for municipal symbols. It’s a very small town in Washington County. When first settled, it was called Plantation number 5. The area does have a history of boat building, though. The high schools mascot is a knight, my mother went there, but.. err… not my grandfather.

I do like your idea about the lion. Some Norman heraldry reference would be nice.