Another Heraldic Miniature

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

18 July 2008 03:35

I just thought that I’d share my latest painted miniature, as it is heraldic in nature.  It is the beginning of a new army I’m painting for tabletop gaming.  This army will feature lots of flashy knights and plenty of dirty peasant levies.  The miniatures are roughly 28 mm scale, meaning that a foot model would stand about 1.25 inches tall.

The heraldry is drawn from George R. R. Martin’s "A Song of Ice & Fire" series, which has been mentioned before.  This is Ser Robett Glover, Knight of the Realm.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/jonishairy/Bretonnia/DSCN2023.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/jonishairy/Bretonnia/DSCN2025.jpg

More to follow!

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

18 July 2008 08:26

I always wanted to get into table top gaming, but never found a suitable venue. I also don’t have the patience to paint them. This little guy looks excellent. I’m envious.

Shameless plug alert: consider using the arms of people at the AHS to inspire your "flashy Knights" wink

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

18 July 2008 09:36

Very cool, Jonathan. Very nice work!

I haven’t painted miniature knights since getting snowed in at my friend’s house during some blizzard in the early 1980s. My friend’s dad added a lot of new characters to his scene that week. If only I had known then what I know now. I have no recollection of what our "heraldry" was like. smile

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

18 July 2008 10:28

Jeremy Hammond;60903 wrote:

consider using the arms of people at the AHS to inspire your "flashy Knights" wink

I am willing to bet that a bunch of people would be willing to plunk down good money for a well executed, hand-painted metal miniature (such as this one—nice job, Jonathan!), say two or three inches (50-75 mm) tall, of a knight in full regalia bearing their own arms.  It would look great on a desktop or mantel.  I don’t know that I have seen that sort of thing advertised anywhere.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

18 July 2008 12:11

David E. Cohen;60910 wrote:

It would look great on a desktop or mantel.  I don’t know that I have seen that sort of thing advertised anywhere.

>>>This<<< is one. I’m sure I’ve seen another. I love miniatures. I wonder where I could find blank ones to paint myself. Although, I don’t think I could successfully make one this small look as good.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

18 July 2008 12:24

I think this is beyond cool!

If I had a drop of artistic talent in me, I’d give it a try….

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

18 July 2008 12:41

First, thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Jeremy Hammond;60903 wrote:

Shameless plug alert: consider using the arms of people at the AHS to inspire your "flashy Knights" wink

I actually had considered doing that, but given how small these miniatures are it would be hard to pull off some of the more intricate designs.  And since I have to churn out a whole army of these, simple heraldry is better.  Also, some people may not care to have their arms used for so frivolous a purpose, so I would want to get permission for each miniature I painted.

David E. Cohen;60910 wrote:

I am willing to bet that a bunch of people would be willing to plunk down good money for a well executed, hand-painted metal miniature (such as this one—nice job, Jonathan!), say two or three inches (50-75 mm) tall, of a knight in full regalia bearing their own arms.  It would look great on a desktop or mantel.  I don’t know that I have seen that sort of thing advertised anywhere.

I’ve done a larger scale miniature like that before.  I gave it to my father this past Christmas.  Click here for that thread.  It was quite a bit of fun, and I wouldn’t mind taking a commission if someone wanted me to paint one for them.

Jeremy Hammond;60918 wrote:

I wonder where I could find blank ones to paint myself.

My favorite companies for the larger scale miniatures (54mm and up) are Andrea Miniatures and Pegaso Models.  You’ll see from those websites that there are some very talented miniature sculptors and painters in the world.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

18 July 2008 12:56

I took a look at the other thread…

:shock: Wow. 8)

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

18 July 2008 13:14

I did too, I still can’t believe that is 2 inches tall.

I also particularly like the pegaso miniatures. Too bad the dollar is so crappy against the Euro right now.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

18 July 2008 14:14

Yeah, you just have to find an American distributor.  My father’s miniature was nearly $20 cheaper that way.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

18 July 2008 19:51

That is the coolest, most beautiful, most impressive, and most majestic figure that I have ever seen.  :shock::cool:

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

19 July 2008 02:07

Also visit: www.greenhillminiatures.com.  I am sure that you can commission Peter to paint your arms upon one of his many models of knights he offers for sale.

Yours aye,

John

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

18 August 2008 13:54
werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

18 August 2008 21:42

Another amazing job.  Beautiful detail.  Thanks for sharing again.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

19 August 2008 01:19

Wow, very nice, I like how the horse covering is in the livery colors and incorporates the shield both times. It’s interesting how it can stand out equally well on gules, and or. I.E that on the Gules side, the Gules chevrons don’t seem to blend in to the background, and likewise for the Or.

What’s a horse covering like that called again, a caparison, or something similar?

Cheers,

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

19 August 2008 01:46

Thanks for the compliments.

Mohamed, you are correct.  That glorified horse blanket is called a caparison.