Duluth Army Corp of Engineers

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

30 July 2008 18:39

[ATTACH]462[/ATTACH]

From the Army Corp of Engineers building in Duluth.

Here is a version from the White House page:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/images/corps-1.jpg

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

31 July 2008 05:42

Not the best designed arms I have seen.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

31 July 2008 06:44

Marcus K;61580 wrote:

It was devised in the mid-late 19th century at a time when any arms for a U.S. Army organization were a novelty.  It is rather typical of the time.

From the website of the Corps of Engineers Wilmington District:

Quote:

The official Corps Seal is sometimes referred to as the Coat of Arms. It was adopted shortly after the Civil War to commemorate the consolidation of the Topographical Engineers with the regular Corps of Engineers. The significance of the design as commemorating the achievements of both the Corps of Engineers and the Corps of Topographical Engineers is plain to see. The larger shield is divided into three horizontal sections, of which the top is represented in solid blue while the bottom is divided into vertical red and white stripes. The center section shows the original shields of the two historic Corps organizations—the dexter shield being a reproduction of the basic device of the Engineer’s oldest insignia, the Essayons Button; and the sinister shield showing the Corps of Topographical Engineers’ red, white, and blue shield between the "T" and "E". This seal was not adopted officially by the Corps of Engineers until 1897.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

31 July 2008 13:49

Marcus K;61580 wrote:

Engineers, if left to themselves, will design and build terribly ugly but enormously strong creations.  I’d say they got the first part going well for themselves.  Can’t comment on how strong it is.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

31 July 2008 16:08

Thanks for your commentaries Gentlemen.