Bishop’s Arms

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 December 2008 08:34

Could I ask that we break off this thread at this point and start a new one?  I conducted a search for the personal arms of Archbishop Timothy Broglio of the Archdiocese for the Military Services just now and discovered that I would still have to look one by one through 60+ pages of postings to find them.  The search function only gives you a thread, not the specific posting in which a word is mentioned, so it will be easier to look for a particular needle if we can keep the haystacks to a manageable size.

The reason I was looking was that Abp Broglio confirmed my son and his former school classmates last night and I caught a glimpse of his arms embroidered on the back of the scarf thingies worn by the altar boys to cover their hands while tending the archbishop’s crozier when he wasn’t using it.  Very pretty arms—Azure, a saltire between four of something Or, in base waves of the sea—and I’m curious about the details.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

06 December 2008 14:00

Not all the Rector’s of C.U. have been bishops. However, for all those who were bishops they all impaled their arms with those of the University, which is a pontifical university.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

06 December 2008 16:27

gselvester;64986 wrote:

Not all the Rector’s of C.U. have been bishops. However, for all those who were bishops they all impaled their arms with those of the University, which is a pontifical university.

Thanks for the information Fr. Guy, most helpful.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

10 December 2008 17:23

http://www.eparchy-of-van-nuys.org/docs/Bishop-George-arms.jpg

The Most Reverend George Martin Kuzma, the retired second Bishop of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Van Nuys, California, fell asleep in the Lord at Mount Macrina Manor in Uniontown, Pennsylvania on December 7, 2008. He was 83 years of age, a priest for over 53 years and a Bishop for almost 22 years. He is survived by numerous nieces and nephews, his beloved clergy, religious and faithful of the Eparchy of Van Nuys.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

11 December 2008 09:03

Joseph McMillan;64974 wrote:

The reason I was looking was that Abp Broglio confirmed my son and his former school classmates last night and I caught a glimpse of his arms embroidered on the back of the scarf thingies worn by the altar boys to cover their hands while tending the archbishop’s crozier when he wasn’t using it.  Very pretty arms—Azure, a saltire between four of something Or, in base waves of the sea—and I’m curious about the details.

It might be easier to contact the Archbishop yourself, explain that you’re a heraldry nut and then meet with him to look over his arms. I would imagine he might indeed welcome a visit in which he could show off his achievement.

And apparently, no, we can’t start another thread.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

11 December 2008 09:20

Patrick Williams;65104 wrote:

It might be easier to contact the Archbishop yourself, explain that you’re a heraldry nut and then meet with him to look over his arms. I would imagine he might indeed welcome a visit in which he could show off his achievement.

And apparently, no, we can’t start another thread.

Actually, I did, having found a picture buried in this interminable thread.  See the thread on the archdiocese of the military services.

Not that my plea has had any effect otherwise.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

11 December 2008 10:33

Joseph McMillan;65105 wrote:

Not that my plea has had any effect otherwise.

We apparently enjoy interminably long threads. wink

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

11 December 2008 14:49

Apparently this thread has become too long for some people’s liking. So, it will be closed now. From now on post the arms of bishops in a new thread for each with their name or the name of their diocese. Instead of one long thread we’ll have a whole lot of little threads which, apparently, seems a better prospect because of the "search" feature.