Rule of Tinctures

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 August 2008 17:57

Doug Welsh;61803 wrote:

So, for Spain, my standards are not valid, and my opinions are relevant only to those who share similar opinions, because clearly the Spanish share a different standard and opinion in at least these cases.

That is excellent as a hypothesis, because it is falsifiable by reference to the views of Spanish heraldists or by systematic examination of the thousands of Spanish arms to determine whether and how the rule is followed.  But the existence of three examples of Spanish municipal arms—possibly self-designed—with tincture problems no more falsifies the rule than the example of Berwick upon Tweed, which has a green tree and a black bear on a red and blue field falsifies it for British heraldry.

Likewise the idea that the tincture rule doesn’t apply in Poland because Cardinal Wojtyla had arms that violated it is nonsense.  When amateurs design arms, they make mistakes.  That doesn’t make the mistakes right.  The overwhelming majority of Polish arms are historic proclamatio arms, and they almost invariably involve a handful of gold or silver charges on a red or blue field.

I’m not proposing that the rule is absolute—that’s why I called it a principle before.  But it isn’t a matter of opinion, it’s a matter of actual practice, and a handful of cases that violate it no more negates the principle than the fact that murders take place every day in Washington, DC, make murder legal.

For an excellent discussion citing some actual research on this issue, see http://www.heraldica.org/topics/tinctrul.htm.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

06 August 2008 18:11

In English grammar, we say that, as a rule, one should not split infinitives.  There are many style manuals that state this rule, but many of them are are careful to say that the rule is not absolute.  For example, in the Columbia manual it says:
Quote:

Conservative practice still tries to avoid them, especially at Planned, Oratorical, and Formal levels, particularly when they’re not necessary for grammatical clarity, and it uses them only when they seem clear, add emphasis, and help avoid contorted syntax.

There are great literary genius who split infinitives.  The geniuses know what they are doing, and their split infinitives do not harm the work.

I think that if one were to gather up all the heraldic style manuals in the world, written by knowledgeable people, they would each state the tincture rule in some form, and many would note the rule s sometimes broken.  But conservative practice is…

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

06 August 2008 18:59

Michael Swanson;61820 wrote:

In English grammar, we say that, as a rule, one should not split infinitives.

I just read about that rule last week- apparently English grammaticians decided that such a rule should exist simply because one cannot split an infinitive in Latin, and since Latin was a perfect language, its rules should apply to English.

Off-topic, I know, but interesting.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 August 2008 19:04

In English grammar, we say that, as a rule, one should not split infinitives.  There are many style manuals that state this rule, but many of them are are careful to say that the rule is not absolute.  For example, in the Columbia manual it says:

There are great literary genius who split infinitives.  The geniuses know what they are doing, and their split infinitives do not harm the work.

I think that if one were to gather up all the heraldic style manuals in the world, written by knowledgeable people, they would each state the tincture rule in some form, and many would note the rule s sometimes broken.  But conservative practice is…

And the most famous split infinitive: ...to boldly go where no man has gone before….

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

06 August 2008 19:11

Kenneth Mansfield;61822 wrote:

And the most famous split infinitive: ...to boldly go where no man has gone before….

"In those days men were real men, women were real women, small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before - and thus was the Empire forged."

grin just having fun

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

06 August 2008 19:45

It was an excellent review of the issue, thank you for the cite, Joseph.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Joined  20-06-2008

06 August 2008 19:48

I’m not conservative, Michael.  Sorry.  :D

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

07 August 2008 00:49

Violations of the tincture rule are something up with which we should not put. wink

/Charles

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

07 August 2008 06:01

I wholeheartedly agree!  smile

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

10 August 2008 20:16

Kenneth Mansfield;61812 wrote:

It is sort of charming in it’s own way…. wink

You had to go there, didn’t you?  :rolleyes:  I must admit, though, that it is indeed charming.  :cool:

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

12 August 2008 21:19

de Martainneville Family Arms

[ATTACH]473[/ATTACH]

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Joined  20-06-2008

13 August 2008 08:59

Darkly aspected, but they would be notable on the field of battle.

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Joined  12-06-2007

13 August 2008 21:20

The village of Nailly, France.

[ATTACH]482[/ATTACH]

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Joined  20-06-2008

13 August 2008 21:23

Takes all the challenge out of it, to put the name on the arms.  Sheesh!

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Joined  12-06-2007

13 August 2008 21:25

Saint-Julien de Concelles, France

[ATTACH]483[/ATTACH]