Selling off many books related to heraldry, orders

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

22 October 2008 16:00

Dear Forum Members,

After some thought I have decided to sell some of my 200+ books on the topics of heraldry, genealogy, orders, knighthood etc.

If someone on this forum has a book that they would like to add to their own collection, feel free to write to me via a PM or post your question here to find out if I have the book. I am not trying to make a profit on my books but merely convert the books into capital for my ever growing coin collection.

Best wishes to all,

David

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

22 October 2008 16:47

I’m always looking for civic heraldry, particularly part 1 of Urquhart’s Scottish Civic Heraldry.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

22 October 2008 17:00

Madalch;64050 wrote:

I’m always looking for civic heraldry, particularly part 1 of Urquhart’s Scottish Civic Heraldry.

My only exclusively civic heraldry book in the English language is Jiri Louda’s European Civic Coats of Arms,

Madalch

Madalch
Joined  30-09-2005

22 October 2008 17:07

David Pritchard;64051 wrote:

My only exclusively civic heraldry book in the English language is Jiri Louda’s European Civic Coats of Arms,

I have that one, but I’m not fussy about language.  In fact, I prefer ones not in English, since I already have books on English civic heraldry, as long as they’re well-illustrated.  (I have Russian and Ukrainian ones already, but do you have any Polish ones?)

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

22 October 2008 17:19

Madalch;64052 wrote:

I have that one, but I’m not fussy about language.  In fact, I prefer ones not in English, since I already have books on English civic heraldry, as long as they’re well-illustrated.  (I have Russian and Ukrainian ones already, but do you have any Polish ones?)

I have one book entirely on the arms of the Russian City of Smolensk, one for the Civic Arms of the Russian Empire (in colour), two dozen or more journals in Finnish on civic arms. I do have a large well illustrated book in Polish on the coinage of Poland from the 10th century until 1939.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 October 2008 19:37

David,

Anything in Spanish or Portuguese on Spanish/Portuguese heraldry?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

22 October 2008 20:39

Joseph McMillan;64055 wrote:

David,

Anything in Spanish or Portuguese on Spanish/Portuguese heraldry?

Not that I actually wanted to sell these books but perhaps I would entertain the notion.

Armorial Lusitano a very rare book indeed.

Diccionario Heraldico by Cadenas

Diccionario de Heraldica by Campos (actually a basic armorial rather than a dictionary)

I have quite a few journals about bookplates in Portuguese as well as a large book about researching Hispanic genealogy.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

24 October 2008 06:45

Dear David,

Do you have anything on Church herladry?

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

24 October 2008 10:17

David,

Did you get the e-mail I sent?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 October 2008 20:43

David (you must be regretting our posting by now!) - do you happen to have either of the Scottish ordinaries?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

25 October 2008 10:19

David Boven;64063 wrote:

David,

Did you get the e-mail I sent?

Yes I did. I was very busy yesterday and I think I am getting a cold. I will respond to you.

David

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

25 October 2008 10:35

Michael F. McCartney;64069 wrote:

David (you must be regretting our posting by now!) - do you happen to have either of the Scottish ordinaries?

Not at all.

No Scottish ordinaries but I do have these Scotland related books:

System of Heraldry by Nisbet in two large hard bound volumes.

Scottish Clans and Family Encyclopedia by Geo. Way and Romilly Squire, a heavy hard bound book.

The Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Volumes 129 (1 & 2), 130 (1 & 2), 131, 132, 133, 134. Eight thick and heavy hard bound books in total.

The Double Tressure, Journal of the Heraldry Society of Scotland Volumes 16 through 22.

Two publications of the Heraldry Society of Scotland, Emblems of Scotland and Chinese Armorial Porcelain.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

25 October 2008 23:17

Marcus K;64060 wrote:

Dear David,

Do you have anything on Church herladry?

Heraldry in the Episcopal Church by DeKay

The Armorial of the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church in Australia by McCarthy

Armoria Sedium, A Roll of See Arms used by the Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran Churches by McCarthy

Cardinals and Heraldry by Elvins (Cardinals of England and Scotland)

Heraldry in the Vatican by Martin

Kerkelijke Heraldik by Heim (Heraldry in the Catholic Church Dutch Edition)

Heraldica Collegii Cardinalium by McCarthy

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

02 November 2008 18:21

All but one of my ecclesiastical heraldry books have either been sold or claimed! The one remaining title is the Dutch language version of Bruno Heim’s much desired Church Heraldry

Some new books are up for sale:

Burke’s General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in three softbound volumes. Absolutely brand new. Type to small for my bad eyes, I bought a larger version with corresponding larger type the following week.

Clans and Families of Ireland by Greenham, including illustrations of arms.

An Introduction to Heraldry by Stefen Oliver

Heraldry by Julian Franklin

The Art of Heraldry Origins Symbols and Designs by Peter Gwynn-Jones

The Heraldic Art Source Book by Peter Spurrier

The Art of Heraldry by Von Volborth

Heraldry Decoration and Floral Forms by Cole

British Heraldry from its Origins to c.1800, softbound by the British Museum

Catalogue de la Noblesse Francaise au XXIe Siecle by Valette

Heraldry and the Heralds by Rodney Dennys

Boutell’s Heraldry Revised by Scott-Giles

The Nature of Arms by Gayre

Burke’s Royal Families of the World in two hardbound volumes, Vol. No. 1 Europe and Latin America & Vol. No. 2 Africa and the Middle East.

1970 Burke’s Peerage Baronetage and Knightage in one heavy hardbound volume consisting of 3259 pages. Includes genealogy, blazon of arms and illustrations of arms.

1986 Debrett’s Handbook, large hardbound book containing the genealogies of the cream of British society.

These are previously listed books that have yet to sell:

European Civic Coats of Arms by Jiri Louda

Diccionario de Heraldica by Campos

Diccionario Heraldico by Cadenas

System of Heraldry by Nisbet in two large hard bound volumes.

Scottish Clans and Family Encyclopedia by Geo. Way and Romilly Squire, a heavy hard bound book.

The Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Volumes 129 (1 & 2), 130 (1 & 2), 131, 132, 133, 134. Eight thick and heavy hard bound books in total.

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

02 November 2008 22:41

Hey David,

Can you give me more information on these books: Burke’s General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, British Heraldry from its Origins to c.1800, The Nature of Arms, System of Heraldry, Scottish Clans and Family Encyclopedia. I’m going out of town until Friday, but would still be interested in these titles. Thanks a lot. I’ll get back to you on Saturday.

Madalch

Madalch
Joined  30-09-2005

04 November 2008 14:08

I’m happy to say that my big box of books arrived today.

Thanks, David!