Replacing My Arms

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

01 November 2008 02:14

In David’s defence, I PM’ed him and literally asked for it.  Thank you, David, for your insight.  smile

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

01 November 2008 10:59

A shield divided per pale with a cross counterchanged is not symmetrical? :confused:

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

01 November 2008 11:25

Perhaps I used the wrong word.  What I mean is that I want the dexter and the sinister to be mirror images of each other.  I sincerely apologize for the confusion.  :(  BTW, thanks to Joseph, I am reconsidering having the cross coticed instead of voided.  Honestly, I’m rather torn between the two prospective designs.  :rolleyes:

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

01 November 2008 12:19

Stephen,

I apologize for not having more information on this but I was very sleepy at the time.  It doesn’t involve heraldry per se but does passively involve the design you are considering.

Last night, during a bout of insomnia, I was flipping channels.  Last night being Halloween—even though 2 AM technically was no longer—there was plenty of particularly bad horror on TV.  But in flipping channels I saw your proposed arms on a tombstone.  Not exactly, and not on a heraldic device, but on a tombstone there was what can only be called a passion cross urdy voided.  I probably only noticed it because I had seen Kenneth’s emblazon.

Going back through the tv listing I’m fairly certain the movie was Gravedancers (2006), and in the opening minutes of the movie.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

01 November 2008 12:20

Kenneth Mansfield;64146 wrote:

A shield divided per pale with a cross counterchanged is not symmetrical? :confused:

It isn’t symmetrical across the horizontal axis.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

01 November 2008 12:22

Kenneth Mansfield;64146 wrote:

Did I write that your design in particular was asymmetrical? In my frank manner I would describe your design as unbalanced (the Passion Cross) and inelegant (counter-changing of a bland shape).

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

01 November 2008 12:23

Dale Challener Roe;64149 wrote:

Thank you Dale! I am glad that someone else notices these details.

Here is an example of a coat of arms that I designed some years ago that utilised the cross as its main charge

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.amateurheralds.org/roll/r-arms/occo.jpg
</div>

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

01 November 2008 14:23

Now, THAT is a beautiful piece of work!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

01 November 2008 15:47

Stephen R. Hickman;64147 wrote:

Perhaps I used the wrong word. What I mean is that I want the dexter and the sinister to be mirror images of each other. I sincerely apologize for the confusion. :( BTW, thanks to Joseph, I am reconsidering having the cross coticed instead of voided. Honestly, I’m rather torn between the two prospective designs. :rolleyes:

I don’t think the issue is cotising vs. voiding.  You just need to put the time in on some research, that’s all.

With respect to David’s posts, I’d say whether a cross urdy is ugly or not is in the eye of the beholder; if you really like it, that’s what counts, but you shouldn’t (IMHO) adopt it just because it’s different, if you don’t like it otherwise.

I agree with David that you should avoid the passion/Latin cross form, not so much because it’s unbalanced as because it is (again in my opinion) a meaningless distinction in this context.  On a typical heater shaped shield, any cross that looks "right" is going to have a slightly longer lower arm.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

01 November 2008 17:34

Stephen R. Hickman;64137 wrote:

I’m not sure exactly what a martlet is.  :(

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

01 November 2008 19:37

Stephen R. Hickman;64135 wrote:

gselvester, it was my understanding that a passion cross and a Latin cross were the same cross.  If I am mistaken, then I am willing to know better.  :D

Actually, I believe that a Passion cross and a Latin cross are not identical. I have also seen this blazoned a "pointed cross". (which could be either in the Greek or Latin forms) In addition, I have seen a cross raised on three grades or steps referred to as a cross Calvary or a Passion cross. So, there seems to be several different opinions. What, precisely, a"Passion cross" is seems to mean different things to different authors. However, a Latin cross means only one thing: a cross with the lower arm longer.

So, depending on which definition you accept this cross could be blazoned as:

A Latin cross pointed,

A Latin cross urdy

A Passion cross

A Pointed cross

but blazoning it "a Passion cross urdy" seems redundant.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

02 November 2008 00:36

Thank you, everyone, for the wealth of info!  I now have a lot to think about over the weekend.  I’ll keep you guys updated.  Thanks again!  :D

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

02 November 2008 23:01

Dale Challener Roe;64149 wrote:

This is a straw man argument. Dividing the shield per pale has no bearing on the balance across a horizontal plane. That has to do with the way the space is filled. One could argue that horizontal symmetry is already not possible by Stephen’s choice of a cross with a longer bottom arm.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

02 November 2008 23:05

David Pritchard;64150 wrote:

Did I write that your design in particular was asymmetrical? In my frank manner I would describe your design as unbalanced (the Passion Cross) and inelegant (counter-changing of a bland shape).

I was responding to Stephen’s assertion that he wanted "to maintain dexter-sinister symmetry." But thanks for making it all about you. wink

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

04 November 2008 16:01

David Pritchard;64151 wrote:

Here is an example of a coat of arms that I designed some years ago that utilised the cross as its main charge

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.amateurheralds.org/roll/r-arms/occo.jpg

</div>

David, this has inspired me to rethink my design.  Thank you so very much for posting it!  BTW, it is beautiful!  Well done!  :D