Replacing My Arms

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

04 November 2008 16:38

Stephen R. Hickman;64233 wrote:

David, this has inspired me to rethink my design.  Thank you so very much for posting it!  BTW, it is beautiful!  Well done!  :D

Here is a similar blazon using your colours: Ermine, a cross Azure, charged with a cross patonce Argent.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

05 November 2008 12:12

If you like your pointed cross, you could take from David’s suggestion and have…

Ermine, on a Cross Azure a pointed Cross Argent.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6320/hickmanstephen2ma5.gif

I only suggest this because I tried to emblazon David’s suggestion and couldn’t get the Cross Patonce to look right. I prefer the crosses with the straighter edges for this type of design.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

05 November 2008 12:22

I think Kenneth’s latest blazon and emblazonment is a great shield!

Simple and beautiful

I like the colors too smile

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

05 November 2008 13:41

That’s a very impressive design, Kenneth!  :cool:  Maybe I’m mistaken, but aren’t furs generally reserved for royalty/nobility?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 November 2008 13:48

Stephen R. Hickman;64257 wrote:

Maybe I’m mistaken, but aren’t furs generally reserved for royalty/nobility?

Yes, you are mistaken.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

05 November 2008 13:53

I stand—er, sit—corrected.  :D

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

05 November 2008 13:54

Stephen, I believe you’re thinking of the lining of the mantling. And that, too, is debatable.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

05 November 2008 18:20

You mean that commoners can have fured mantling too?!  That’s most intruiging!  :cool::D

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

05 November 2008 19:08

I’m not suggesting that anyone who actually has to work for a living line their mantling with fur. That just seems like it would get too hot. Walking around in chain mail and armor seems like too much already.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 November 2008 20:48

Let’s remember the spirit of the Society guidelines.  Ermined mantling generally connotes not merely nobility but high-ranking titled nobility, at least in enough places that it would likely be taken as a claim of such status.  (In England, if I’m not mistaken, only the Sovereign herself is entitled to ermine lining.)  We in the US should not do things armorially that we know are misleading when seen by someone with reasonable heraldic literacy, especially things that imply a claim to a status we don’t actually possess.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

05 November 2008 21:08

Joseph McMillan;64271 wrote:

Let’s remember the spirit of the Society guidelines.  Ermined mantling generally connotes not merely nobility but high-ranking titled nobility, at least in enough places that it would likely be taken as a claim of such status.  (In England, if I’m not mistaken, only the Sovereign herself is entitled to ermine lining.)  We in the US should not do things armorially that we know are misleading when seen by someone with reasonable heraldic literacy, especially things that imply a claim to a status we don’t actually possess.

Actually all peers of the realm may use a mantling lined ermine. The mantling of the Sovereign is however exclusive being Or, lined Ermine. The Office of the CHoI does permit ermine mantling to ordinary persons when the field of the arms is ermine.

In my own opinion, it is these deferences to rank (meaningless in this country) which perpetuate the privileges of the nobility.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

05 November 2008 21:12

Kenneth Mansfield;64252 wrote:

I only suggest this because I tried to emblazon David’s suggestion and couldn’t get the Cross Patonce to look right. I prefer the crosses with the straighter edges for this type of design.

The more stylish cross is always more difficult to illustrate. I hate to write that the pointed cross makes me think of a map legend for a telegraph line on a 19th century chart or a temporary grave marker.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

05 November 2008 22:08

If I were to use such a design, and it is quite likely that I will use one very similar to it at this point, then it would probably employ a cross which has regular, flat tips instead of pointed ones, as it would look best on such a design.  Also, I would probably not employ fur.  It’s a shield, not an animal.  No offence to those with nice, fluffy shields.  wink

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

05 November 2008 23:07

Stephen R. Hickman;64279 wrote:

If I were to use such a design, and it is quite likely that I will use one very similar to it at this point, then it would probably employ a cross which has regular, flat tips instead of pointed ones, as it would look best on such a design.  Also, I would probably not employ fur.  It’s a shield, not an animal.  No offence to those with nice, fluffy shields.  wink

The design of a plain cross on another plain cross would again ignite the issue of uniqueness and or usurption. The purpose of the cross patonce and the ermine field was to devise a unique coat. Do we really want to take the same path that led you to the arms of Greece with a bordure for cadency?

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

05 November 2008 23:32

Stephen R. Hickman;64279 wrote:

Instead of fur, why not a semy of some charge that reflects your heritage?