die wappenrolle von Zurich

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

09 January 2009 15:45

came across this book with the complete wappenrolle of Zurich in colour and you can download it.

http://www.google.nl/books?id=zFssAAAAYAAJ&printsec=titlepage

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

09 January 2009 17:23

Thanks Ton

I noticed several arms being duplicated.

For example: #177, 178 & 179 (they are side by side). The names associated with those are Sunnenberg (Thurgau), Schenken von Landeg (Toggenburg), and Ramenswag (St. Gallen) respectively.

Is this normal in Switzerland?

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

09 January 2009 17:52

The crest is different this could mean that they had a common ancestor and that these are different branches of the family

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

09 January 2009 20:25

Thanks for the heads-up, Ton!

Jochen

Jochen
Total Posts:  232
Joined  04-05-2005

14 January 2009 16:27

kimon;65737 wrote:

Thanks Ton

I noticed several arms being duplicated.

Is this normal in Switzerland?

I think we should face the fact that the Zürcher Wappenrolle is (probably) the first of all (known) armorials.

It was drawn in the dawn of heraldry, when there was not even a trace of a heraldic authority.

Wappenrollen were not necessarily records of heralds (in our modern understanding) but were often made on occasion by some chronists.

In the middle ages things could easily happen that two knights by coincidence had similar - or even equal - coats-of-arms.

It should be noted that the Zürcher wappenrolle is far from being correct (e.g. the coa of Portugal is a rather conjectural canting representation of a door (french "porte", latin "porta" etc…))

The Imperial (or regional) Counts Palatinate (Hofpfalzgrafen) of the Holy Roman Empire who (kinda) granted or (rather) confirmed arms (which often had been assumed earlier) always had a "severability clause" in their "Wappenbriefe", that the new-created armiger was not allowed to prohibit the use of the same arms of armigers endowed with prior rights…..

That makes some sense, since according to serious estimations, the number of (recorded AND unrecorded) coats-of-arms in central Europe exceeds 100.000….

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

15 January 2009 10:18

Thanks, Ton, this is brilliant! I love the treatment of the crests, in particular, and wonder if this shows more of how they were actually worn than our current artistic treatment.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 January 2009 13:56

Jochen;65850 wrote:

The Imperial (or regional) Counts Palatinate (Hofpfalzgrafen) of the Holy Roman Empire who (kinda) granted or (rather) confirmed arms (which often had been assumed earlier) always had a "severability clause" in their "Wappenbriefe", that the new-created armiger was not allowed to prohibit the use of the same arms of armigers endowed with prior rights…..

This concept of being or not being able to prohibit others from bearing a particular coat of arms is an important one.  It appears over and over again in Continental heraldic law.  For example, a Spanish cronista’s certificate did not read "I grant, confirm, etc." but rather that the arms blazoned and illustrated could be used by the person named "without any impediment" (sin que le ponga impedimento alguno).  Similarly, Spanish legal discourses speak of the superiority of a royal grant of arms over assumed arms lying in the fact that no one could prohibit the recipient of a royal grant from bearing the granted arms.  On the other hand, a hidalgo could prohibit a commoner from bearing the same assumed arms.

I think we’re so used to the post-Renaissance English concept of a grant of arms being an exclusive license to particular arms that we don’t realize that Continental concepts were often quite different.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Total Posts:  255
Joined  06-01-2009

15 January 2009 16:44

Yes thanks Ton!  Is there a thread somewhere that lists more armorials?  I’m starting to love Google Books.  (Yay!  Free downlaods!!)  Anyway, a few would do nicely to add to my growing knowledge. :D

Thanks again for posting this!

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

15 January 2009 16:56

Joseph McMillan;65866 wrote:

For example, a Spanish cronista’s certificate did not read "I grant, confirm, etc." but rather that the arms blazoned and illustrated could be used by the person named "without any impediment" (sin que le ponga impedimento alguno).

I have a copy of a certificate that reads: "......without anyone placing an impediment upon her for such use, having been duly protected, ratified, legalised and legitimated by this Certificate of Arms…..." I think that the full language in the document is a bit stronger than the partial snippet that you supplied above but certainly not as strong as the language used in a UK grant.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

15 January 2009 17:36

David Pritchard;65870 wrote:

I have a copy of a certificate that reads: "......without anyone placing an impediment upon her for such use, having been duly protected, ratified, legalised and legitimated by this Certificate of Arms…..." I think that the full language in the document is a bit stronger than the partial snippet that you supplied above but certainly not as strong as the language used in a UK grant.

Yes, I didn’t mean to imply that the certification is weakly worded, merely that the central concept seems to be protection not against usurpation but against attempts by others to deny your right to the arms.