Inauguration Day

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

20 January 2009 09:15

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/401/600pxsealofthepresidentbl0.png

This isn’t a day for Republicans or Democrats. This is a day for Americans and for looking to the future. Congratulations Mr. President. Hail to the Chief!

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

20 January 2009 10:15

While driving somehwere on Monday 1/19, I heard an interesting piece on PRI. Someone had raised concern about the illegal use of the presidential seal, appearing on t-shirts and other inauguration souvenirs. The reporter speculated that these crimes would probably go unpunished—not a high priority on the new administrations "to do" list. At least some people are aware that there are legal restrictions on the use of the presidential seal.

Jochen

Jochen
Total Posts:  232
Joined  04-05-2005

20 January 2009 17:22

The illegal use is to print and sell such shirts (which means counterfeiting official symbols).

The private use is merely a trifle.

Private use of offical symbols (though explicitly prohibited by law) is widely tolerated in Germany (for instance) as a token of loyalty to the State…..

I have nothing to add….

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

20 January 2009 20:46

Dohrman Byers;65987 wrote:

While driving somehwere on Monday 1/19, I heard an interesting piece on PRI. Someone had raised concern about the illegal use of the presidential seal, appearing on t-shirts and other inauguration souvenirs. The reporter speculated that these crimes would probably go unpunished—not a high priority on the new administrations "to do" list. At least some people are aware that there are legal restrictions on the use of the presidential seal.

I heard this report as well on my way home from work yesterday. It was an interesting piece.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

21 January 2009 00:00

Unlike earlier times when seals and emblems were used as proof of authorship, it seems almost trifle today and simply a misunderstood custom.  I do not believe most people understand the importance of such emblems, evident in the use of pirated and bucket shop arms.  I am sure that, though the printer of the shirt is seeking profits, that those that purchase them are having nothing more than general admiration for the event and recently sworn in president.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

21 January 2009 00:22

I’m sure someone else noticed this, but hanging from the trumpets in the band there was a coat of arms I couldn’t quite make out. It was definitely:

Barry, Gules and Argent…

But I couldn’t make out the charges in the brief TV coverage I found. I am sure someone here can enlighten me.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 January 2009 06:59

Linusboarder;66015 wrote:

I’m sure someone else noticed this, but hanging from the trumpets in the band there was a coat of arms I couldn’t quite make out. It was definitely:

Barry, Gules and Argent…

But I couldn’t make out the charges in the brief TV coverage I found. I am sure someone here can enlighten me.

Check the other inaugural thread… unit arms of the U.S. Army Band.