USS Tornado

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 February 2009 16:17

I remember seeing these arms on a visit aboard the patrol combatant USS Tornado at Little Creek, Virginia, about 10 years ago, and being struck by the appropriateness of the tornado-shaped dragon.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Navy_Graphics/USSTornadoCOA.jpg

From the Institute of Heraldry website:

</b>
Quote:

SHIELD: Or, billetty Gules, on a pile Sable a dragon urinant of the first detailed Vert breathing flames to base Proper.

<b>CREST: From a wreath Or and Gules a demi-mace Argent radiating six lightning bolts Celeste and charged with two sighting lines crosswise of the second encircled by an annulet Sable.

SUPPORTERS: United States Navy sword Proper and a trident saltirewise Or.

MOTTO: A bipartite scroll Azure doubled and inscribed &#8220;FOCUSED PRECISION&#8221; Or.

SYMBOLISM

SHIELD: Dark blue and gold are the colors traditionally used by the Navy. The black pile suggests the funnel of a tornado and bears a dragon, an awesome mythological beast breathing fire and destruction, symbolizing the ferocity and violence of a tornado. The red billets highlight the confusion and havoc left by the storm.

CREST: The mace, a symbol of authority, underscores USS Tornado’s law enforcement mission. The lightning bolts represent the ship’s modern electronic capabilities; light blue alludes to coastal waters, PC 14&#8217;s area of operations.

SUPPORTERS: The trident, adapted from the Naval Special Warfare insignia, and crossed with a Navy sword, refers to the ship’s mission of providing support for Special Warfare forces.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

02 February 2009 16:40

I like those ones.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

03 February 2009 05:42

I second that, the placing of the Dragon in a Tornado shape is great.