Kenyan College of Arms - Enabling Legislation

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

03 February 2009 02:11

Awhile back, I found the enabling legislation for the Kenyan College of Arms.  Please see:  http://www.kenyalaw.org/kenyalaw/klr_app/frames.php if you are interested.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

03 February 2009 09:04

Has anyone had any luck contacting them?

I’ve tried mailing them (8 months ago), contacting the embassy and calling Kenya directly without any luck.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

03 February 2009 16:59

I actualy think the Kenyan College of Arms never started to function.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

04 February 2009 02:06

I have corresponded with the Senior Assistant Registrar General of Kenya who handles applications for the College of Arms and have the amount of the fee (5000 KES) for a registration of officially granted, certified or registered arms, badges and flags (a much higher fee is required for an official granting of arms were none legally existed before) as well as the required application form for such a registration. Anyone wanting copies of this form may contact me via PM.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7154/kencoa002sa3.jpg

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

04 February 2009 08:38

5000 Kenyan shillings = 62.93500 U.S. dollars

Quote:

SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION

THE COLLEGE OF ARMS RULES

Citation.  1. These Rules may be cited as the College of Arms Rules.

Mode of application.

2. (1) An application for a grant of arms under section 4 (1) of the Act shall be in duplicate in form CA1 in the Schedule to these Rules, and shall be made to the registrar.

(2) An application for the registration of a grant of arms under section 6 (2) of the Act shall be in form CA2 in the Schedule to these Rules, and shall be made to the registrar, and shall be accompanied by the original grant, or a copy of the grant certified by or on behalf of the authority which granted the arms to be a true copy of the grant.

Fees.

L.N.87/97

s.2, L.N.72/2003

3. (1) The fee which a person applying for a grant of arms shall pay ( in addition to the further sum which the College of Arms stipulates on account of expenses it may incur in connection with the application without prejudice to section 5(2) of the Act) shall be Kshs. 3,000.

(2) A person applying for the registration of a grant of arms shall pay a fee of Sh. 5,000.

(3) Fees and further sums payable on account of expenses of the College of Arms shall be paid to the registrar.

(4) Where a grant of arms has been made and registered, the registrar shall refund to the applicant the unspent balance of the sum paid by him on account of expenses of the College of Arms.

Inspection of register.  4. The register of arms may be inspected at the office of the registrar between the hours of 9 a.m. and 12.30 p.m., and between 2.15 p.m. and 3.30 p.m., on payment of a fee of Sh. 5.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

04 February 2009 16:17

I have reviewed all of my heraldry files and have found the form for an application of a grant of arms and the instructions for applicants. Kimon now has copies of the two forms and will be creating proper electronic versions in the future for those who may want them.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

04 February 2009 18:13

David Pritchard;66315 wrote:

I have reviewed all of my heraldry files and have found the form for an application of a grant of arms and the instructions for applicants. Kimon now has copies of the two forms and will be creating proper electronic versions in the future for those who may want them.

I have created PDF form versions of both documents.

If anyone wants a copy you can PM me

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 February 2009 13:57

i’m a little confussed—new for me i know.

but is it a grant, or a confirmation? is it restricted to Kenyan’s or those with Kenyan ancestry or anyone who pays them? i don’t plan on getting one just curious how it is laid out compared to other national entities.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

06 February 2009 14:01

Donnchadh;66357 wrote:

i’m a little confussed—new for me i know.

but is it a grant, or a confirmation? is it restricted to Kenyan’s or those with Kenyan ancestry or anyone who pays them? i don’t plan on getting one just curious how it is laid out compared to other national entities.

It sounds like you can register arms that have not been previously registered or granted by any government—for a large fee (a fee which no one has posted yet)—or you can register arms that have been granted or registered with a government agency for about $65.  Am I right?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

06 February 2009 15:03

Michael Swanson;66359 wrote:

It sounds like you can register arms that have not been previously registered or granted by any government—for a large fee (a fee which no one has posted yet)—or you can register arms that have been granted or registered with a government agency for about $65.  Am I right?

The large fee for a grant of new arms or other heraldic representation is 10,000 Kenyan shillings or about 130 United States dollars. My own problem is getting the certified copies of my registrations as required by the Kenyans to and from the South African Embassy in Washington. I would hate to have the large original certificates damaged or lost in transit.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

06 February 2009 15:24

David Pritchard;66361 wrote:

The large fee for a grant of new arms or other heraldic representation is 10,000 Kenyan shillings or about 130 United States dollars. My own problem is getting the certified copies of my registrations as required by the Kenyans to and from the South African Embassy in Washington. I would hate to have the large original certificates damaged or lost in transit.

A certified copy might be this:  Go to Fedex Office and have them make a full size *color* copy of the original grant papers.  Option 1: Then send these with a letter to the granting agency and ask them to forward the copies with a certifying letter in a pre-addressed envelope (with a check for this service to cover their time and expenses).  Option 2:  Get a notary to certify that they are true copies of the original, perhaps placing his seal on the important page.  (I have my doubts about this option.)

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 February 2009 16:43

David Pritchard;66361 wrote:

I wonder if they would be satisfied with a letter from the SABH to the Kenyan chief herald reciting the terms of your South African registration?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 February 2009 17:44

thanks Michael. makes more sense now.

kuddos to Kenya and South Africa (both republics i think) for getting these things done while in Ireland they can’t agree on the color of green and…well…i will let that go. wink

David, i look forward to seeing the way the Kenyan artists do your arms. i hope when you do have them done you’ll share them with us.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

06 February 2009 20:21

Joseph McMillan;66365 wrote:

I wonder if they would be satisfied with a letter from the SABH to the Kenyan chief herald reciting the terms of your South African registration?

The legislation states as follows:

(2) An application for the registration of a grant of arms under section 6 (2) of the Act shall be in form CA2 in the Schedule to these Rules, and shall be made to the registrar, and shall be accompanied by the original grant, or a copy of the grant certified by or on behalf of the authority which granted the arms to be a true copy of the grant.

I wonder if my County Clerk of Courts could certify the copies "on behalf of the authority which granted the arms to be a true copy of the grant."

Most of my heraldic registrations can be found online at the heraldic data base of the South African National Archives: http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/SM200gi?20090207032303CF7A7C8B&DB=HERE

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 February 2009 20:43

David Pritchard;66370 wrote:

The legislation states as follows:

It can’t hurt to ask, but it would strike me as irregular for a government authority of one country to delegate power to an inferior jurisdiction of another country to act on its behalf.

I guess what I was thinking was that a "true copy" doesn’t have to be a photocopy.  The SABH should be able to verify the terms of your registration from their own records—presumably they kept a file copy—and thus prepare a certified copy of the grant without any South African official having to take possession again of your original documents.  They may charge you a bit, but it might be worth it to keep from having to part with the originals.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

07 February 2009 08:09

Another problem (for me at least) is finding a bank that will sell international bank drafts denominated in Kenyan Shillings.  Is anyone aware of an internet accessible service whereby a person can order international bank drafts denominated in any currency?