Simplification of Arms

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

25 February 2009 04:31

We did not mention the crest so far. Maybe to keep the beastie in the shield and to place the cross atop the helmet or vice versa?!

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

25 February 2009 05:50

Well, I thought I’d keep the crest, no need to change that… smile

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

25 February 2009 07:56

Dohrman Byers;66936 wrote:

While folks are suggesting alternative blazons, I may as well suggest one obvious derivative of Claus’s arms. What about: Azure a bear’s head erased Or and on a chief Gules a cross flory entire Argent?

Not bad! I think I would prefer the cross with outbent arms however… Possibly something along the lines of:

Gules, a bear’s head erased Or, on a chief Azure a cross with outbent arms Argent.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

25 February 2009 09:01

Claus K Berntsen;66946 wrote:

Possibly something along the lines of:

Gules, a bear’s head erased Or, on a chief Azure a cross with outbent arms Argent.

I think the blazon would be: Gules, a bear’s head erased Or, on a chief Azure a cross formy entire Argent.

If you want the cross "outbent" only near the ends of the arms, you would say formy at the ends entire.

If the cross does not extend to the edges of the chief, you would omit entire.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

25 February 2009 21:21

Claus—

I just saw your beautiful crest on the SHS website. I can see why you would hesitate to change it!

Had I seen your crest earlier, I might have suggested keeping it and adopting arms: Argent, a bear’s head erased Gules, on a chief Gules a cross flory entire Argent. That would have the advantage of using only two tinctures.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

25 February 2009 22:03

Dear Dohrman,

I would tend to use the description ‘throughout’ rather than ‘entire’ to describe a chief charged with a cross.

In fact, I have never seen ‘entire’ used in the way you have suggested before.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

25 February 2009 23:15

Claus K Berntsen;66943 wrote:

Well, I thought I’d keep the crest, no need to change that… smile

...the crest in the shield, the demi-bear issuant from base holding the cross…

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

26 February 2009 01:00

Iain Boyd;66964 wrote:

I would tend to use the description ‘throughout’ rather than ‘entire’ to describe a chief charged with a cross.

In fact, I have never seen ‘entire’ used in the way you have suggested before.

Brooke-Little, in An Heraldic Alphabet, treats the two terms as synonymous, making no distinction between them. "Throughout" or "entire"—just a matter of taste.

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

28 February 2009 15:06

This might be a bit late and out of context, but I am going to ask it anyway.  Claus, your arms aren’t necessarily quartered.  They could possibly be quarterly Azure and Gules…etc.  I am not really good at balzoning, but doesn’t it seem plausible?

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

28 February 2009 16:21

Dear Dohrman,

Thank you for drawing my attention to the fact that Brook-Little regards ‘entire’ and ‘throughout’ as synonymous.

Even if it is ‘just a matter of taste’, I still prefer ‘throughout’ in this instance.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 February 2009 16:36

Kelisli;67048 wrote:

This might be a bit late and out of context, but I am going to ask it anyway.  Claus, your arms aren’t necessarily quartered.  They could possibly be quarterly Azure and Gules…etc.  I am not really good at balzoning, but doesn’t it seem plausible?

That’s how I see them, but I still don’t know if that will appease the registering office sense of proper heraldry. I find them proper and blazonable just as you said. But, after reading those commandments on the link provided I suspect they may be very strict and so anything that resembles a quartered coat will be off limits even if it is quarterly. Heck, I thought the cross over all was sufficient enough to make them not quartered in the proper sense. But, I guess I was wrong.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

01 March 2009 22:31

I understand such reasoning for refusing such arms.  It seems at times a want to resemble those families that own multiple arms and rejects the notion of simple and large designs to be easily identifiable.  Usually, any quartered original arms could be redesigned without using quarters themselves.  So in nations where such designs of quartered arms is uncommon, I see no harm in a heraldic group rejecting such a desin to uphold the integrity of arms.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

02 March 2009 05:17

Donnchadh;67055 wrote:

Heck, I thought the cross over all was sufficient enough to make them not quartered in the proper sense.

Certainly not in Scandinavia!

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Joined  25-05-2005

02 March 2009 05:56

It was actually quite common to use a cross to enhance the quarterings, at least in Swedish noble arms.

The most famous examples of a cross used to emphasize the quarterings are of course the State arms of Sweden and Denmark.

This is an argument I can quite understand, and I am, as stated before, quite willing to change my arms, and let the current one become a matter of history.

I’ve actually had misgivings before, when I first assumed the arms, but I guess I just didn’t listen enough, and was not sufficiently skilled in heraldry myself.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

02 March 2009 11:41

Would it be enough to remove one of the colors, as in making all of the "quarters" (sorry) either Azure or Gules?