That looks very nice

Jim Pelletier

Jim Pelletier
Total Posts:  40
Joined  20-06-2006

23 June 2006 21:39

ESmith wrote:

That looks very nice

I really like how this design has evolved thaks to the guidance of everyone here who has taken the time to provide their input. I’m pretty happy with how things stand now, unless there are more suggestions to explore.

Thanks, guys.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

23 June 2006 23:26

Yes, you interpreted my suggestion exactly right.

Now the trick is not to rush to a decision but to play around with variations and think about how it looks, etc.  Look at it for a good long while (some call this the fridge test—stick it to the refrigerator where you’ll see it every day and see if you still like it as much a month from now.

GJKS

GJKS
Total Posts:  375
Joined  07-08-2004

24 June 2006 00:52
Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

24 June 2006 02:39

Well Jim I like both our latest and the one that Geoff made up. Do ya see what I mean when I told ya about the quality of fellas here to help out?

I must say that your knowledge of heraldry and your enthusiasm for it and your ability to put this sort of work together so quickly, while it may be personally therapeutic, is also very much appreciated by the likes of people like me.

I just recently joined the society as a full member myself after hanging around as a welcomed guest for 350 plus posts and I don’t want to appear too bold, but given your appreciation for heraldry you really, really should consider signing up. It is very reasonably priced (less than I paid a few nights ago on a coffee date that’s for sure) and I’m sure that everyone would agree with me in inviting you to join with us often. Plus you’d get to e-talk with the sort of fellas who helped ya out with this stuff all the time, which is way cool.

I look forward to talking with ya and working with ya on heraldic ideas and designs in the future. smile

Slán.

Jim Pelletier

Jim Pelletier
Joined  20-06-2006

24 June 2006 08:58

Donnchadh wrote:

Well Jim I like both our latest and the one that Geoff made up. Do ya see what I mean when I told ya about the quality of fellas here to help out?

Yeah, I hear you.  I’m gonna have to put Geoff’s and mine side-by-each (as ma tante Francoise would say) on the fridge as Joe suggested, ‘cause I can’t decide which I like better at the moment.

You ever know a kid that said he was going out to play then was too shy to knock on their friend’s door?  Well, that used to be me.  I was a bit nervous about coming out of the shadows. (I tend to be a Lurker Extraordinaire on the boards I visit…)

Donnchadh wrote:

I must say that your knowledge of heraldry and your enthusiasm for it and your ability to put this sort of work together so quickly, while it may be personally therapeutic, is also very much appreciated by the likes of people like me.

Well, most of it’s just been gleaned off what I could find on the internet and reading blazons while looking at the actual arms.  "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."  I just ordered Iain Moncreiff’s Simple Heraldry after reading Hugh Brady’s self-intro over in Announcements, and I have some others I need to pull out of my storage unit.

Donnchadh wrote:

I just recently joined the society as a full member myself after hanging around as a welcomed guest for 350 plus posts and I don’t want to appear too bold, but given your appreciation for heraldry you really, really should consider signing up. It is very reasonably priced (less than I paid a few nights ago on a coffee date that’s for sure) and I’m sure that everyone would agree with me in inviting you to join with us often. Plus you’d get to e-talk with the sort of fellas who helped ya out with this stuff all the time, which is way cool.

Beat you to it. smile

Slán.

Thanks.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

24 June 2006 13:28

HA! Great news. Glad to see you joined! I think you’ll like it.

I know what you mean speaking of lurking. I ususally do that until I review a number of the posts to get a better feel for the MB. And even then I post for a while to see how it goes.

GJKS

GJKS
Total Posts:  375
Joined  07-08-2004

25 June 2006 02:22

Jim Pelletier wrote:

Yeah, I hear you.  I’m gonna have to put Geoff’s and mine side-by-each (as ma tante Francoise would say) on the fridge as Joe suggested, ‘cause I can’t decide which I like better at the moment.

The only reason I adjusted the zodiac signs was that I thought it better that one could be apportioned to each side denoting the twins rather than having one over the other.  One would have to be the first-born, which would be represented by the dexter zodiac sign, whilst the second-born would occupy the sinister position, thereby denoting the two specific individuals.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

25 June 2006 15:48

Quote:

The only reason I adjusted the zodiac signs was that I thought it better that one could be apportioned to each side denoting the twins rather than having one over the other. One would have to be the first-born, which would be represented by the dexter zodiac sign, whilst the second-born would occupy the sinister position, thereby denoting the two specific individuals.

Clever. smile

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

25 June 2006 18:16

Jim,

I do not know if it is relevant, useful or inspiring for you, but let me tell you that your family name, Pelletier, means a furrier in french. The heraldic charges associated in France with this name - or job - are :

- the fleece

- vair

- hermine

If you want "canting arms", it could be included in the shield, the crest or hatchments.

Nicolas

Jim Pelletier

Jim Pelletier
Joined  20-06-2006

26 June 2006 11:16

Nicolas Vernot wrote:

Jim,

I do not know if it is relevant, useful or inspiring for you, but let me tell you that your family name, Pelletier, means a furrier in french. The heraldic charges associated in France with this name - or job - are :

- the fleece

- vair

- hermine

If you want "canting arms", it could be included in the shield, the crest or hatchments.

Nicolas

It might be a thought for the future, Nicholas, thank you.  I might use that idea for my dad (Pierre Joseph Andre).  My family originally came from Basse-Normandie (Tourouvre and Bresolettes), so I might do some study along those lines as well.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

27 June 2006 15:52

Jim,

I made a quick search for you, but could not find any CoA for the villages you mentionned.

As far as Normandy is concerned, the Coa is Gules, Two Leopards Or, Claws and Tongue Azure (houlà, I suspect my english is not correct here !), but you may already know that.

Nicolas

Jim Pelletier

Jim Pelletier
Joined  20-06-2006

27 June 2006 16:11

Actually, I didn’t until last week.

My Uncle George visited the area a few years ago and took a picture of a plaque with the names of emigrants to Nouveau France which had the arms Tourouvre and Perche on it:

http://gapellet.brinkster.net/tchurch8.jpg

The top shield is Tourouvre and the bottom a combination of Perche (Argent three chevrons Gules) plus the Canadian maple leaves.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 June 2006 20:25

You might try adding ermine spots to the saltire for the cant - not sure if it wold be too busy, but its a simple enough modification to be included in your refridgerator test.  And do follow Joe’s advice to go slow—otherwise you can change yuur motto to "blazon in haste, repent at leisure"

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

09 October 2018 23:31

vzcxv
cc20181010
birkenstocks
hermes birkin
timberland boots
pandora charms
ugg australia