Registration of Arms

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Total Posts:  255
Joined  06-01-2009

27 March 2009 02:27

I am currently preparing to register my arms with the United States Heraldic Registry.  As this is really the first "official" act after my assumption of arms back in February, I would like to ask assistance to make sure that my blazon is correct and there will be no confusion.  I had written the blazon in an earlier thread, but am concerned with the proper way to emblazon my crest.  Also, I wish to obtain a certificate of registration with artwork.  I am trying to decide if I should supply my own rendition, or have them draw one up for me.  I’m leaning toward the latter, as I would be thrilled to have another emblazonment of my arms. :D

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 March 2009 07:13

Robert Tucker;67936 wrote:

Here is the blazon I wish to submit, in the specifics of the Registry requirements:

Blazon of arms: Azure, a talbot’s head issuant from base, in dexter chief an estoile Argent.

Fine.

Quote:

Blazon of crest: On a wreath Azure and Argent two wings conjoined in lure Azure, two crossed anchors Proper overall.

No need to mention the wreath. US convention is that a crest is mounted on a wreath of the principal metal and color in the arms unless otherwise stated. "Two wings conjoined in lure Azure surmounted of two crossed anchors proper."

Quote:

Motto: "Silent Action"

This has always bothered me; I keep reading it as "silent auction."

Quote:

If I chose to use a badge should I include it with the application for registry or can I add this at a later date? (The FAQ on the site makes no mention of adding things later.)

That would seem to be a question for Mike Swanson, not for the group.

Quote:

Also, in dealing with the crest is the blazon I have above sufficient? Or should I get more "archaic"? :D

The purpose of a blazon is to be an intelligible description of the arms, not a work of poetry. Archaicism shouldn’t be inserted for literary effect (although neither "in saltire" nor "saltirewise" is particularly archaic).

If you think you’re likely to encounter a heraldic artist who doesn’t know that "crossed anchors" are depicted in saltire—or a pedant who is obsessed with specificity—then by all means describe them as in saltire. Personally, I wouldn’t give my business to the former or my time to the latter. I agree with Oswald Barron that blazons should be as succinct as possible consistent with clarity.

But it’s a matter of taste.

Ljubodrag Grujic

Ljubodrag Grujic
Total Posts:  36
Joined  07-11-2007

27 March 2009 08:44

I think the crest would be better blazoned

On a wreath of the colors…

Interesting blazon. My godfather would adore the shield.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

28 March 2009 01:47

Joseph, I agree with you on the point that a blazon should not be an epic poem. wink

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

28 March 2009 07:50

Robert Tucker;67963 wrote:

Joseph, I agree with you on the point that a blazon should not be an epic poem. wink

Don’t take my reservation too seriously, but a couple of other alternatives would be "Act silently," "Quiet action," "Silent deeds," etc.  Or, given the naval background "Walk softly."

Another quirk of mine:  don’t, please don’t, translate a motto into Latin for the sake of putting it into Latin.  Yes, I know my motto is Latin, but it’s from the Roman poet Horace.  It would be better to leave it in Japanese, since Japanese culture seems to be something important to you—either transcribed into Roman letters, or perhaps in katakana script if you think Kanji doesn’t look right.  Personally, I don’t see why you shouldn’t leave it in Kanji, and just have it stamped next to the arms using your seal instead of on a scroll.

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

28 March 2009 09:08

That is really interesting Joe, hadn’t thought of using the chop in conjunction with the arms.  With proper placement and treatment I think that it might work despite the possible awkwardness of a "european" feel with a "japanese" element.  Thanks for the tip.  :D

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

29 March 2009 12:39

Robert Tucker;67963 wrote:

...translation of the Japanese fugen-jikko.  "Fu"

Joe wrote:

...Personally, I don’t see why you shouldn’t leave it in Kanji, and just have it stamped next to the arms using your seal instead of on a scroll.

Here ya go:

不言実行

Err .... 実行 if you mean "execute; carry out".  Naka-naka ii kotoba to omoimasu!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

29 March 2009 13:13

Robert,

There’s an older form of 実 which looks like 貫 but with the "roof" radical (I can’t find that in the on-line dictionaries).  Perhaps the older kanji would look nicer for your 処生訓 ([shoseikun] motto) as it is a bit richer ... less "simplified"?  You can see it in the image below, 4th character from the left:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hq6fDZjSL._SS500_.jpg

Regards,

—Guy

Robert Tucker

Robert Tucker
Joined  06-01-2009

29 March 2009 21:37

Guy, I do use 不言実行 on my signature.  I could look into several different ways to write it, the older kanji is a good idea.

I’ve been toying with the placement of the seal, and leaving the motto in kanji.  It doesn’t look half bad, I didn’t think it would look good at all, I’m really surprised. :D

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

06 April 2009 15:44

Robert Tucker;68024 wrote:

Guy, I do use 不言実行 on my signature.  I could look into several different ways to write it, the older kanji is a good idea.

There are of course the ancient seal script and tortoise-shell script used some millenia ago but not totally forgotten by scholars, calligraphers and antiquarians.