The Book Air Heraldry

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

25 June 2006 06:30

One of the great advantages of beeing a Librarian is the many intresting Books one find. One of these is the Book Air Heraldry by Carl Mann published by Robert M. McBride & Company (New York) in 1944.

This is a interesting display of Coat of Arms and Insignia of the USAAF at the time. Also displayed are Squadron Badges not only those used by WW II but also of Areo Squadrons of WW I. It displays not only the CoA of Fighter, Bombardment, Troop Carrier and other flying Groups but also of Service and Air Depot Groups. The main drawback is that no blasons are included which surely are needed since the pictures are black and white.

The Service and Air Depot Groups put upp a rather good heraldic display (since I dont have the colours i only mention the main charges):

The 16th Service Group had a hand issuant from the base and holding a pair of wings. Motto: Vi Sustineo Vis.

The 54th Service Group had a winged Hour-glass and the Motto: In Time.

A winged tomahawk was the choice of the 307th Service Group with the Motto: Winged Nemisis.

The 26th Air Depot Group had two Swords errect between six bees three and three. Motto: Surgam. The 36th Air Depot Group had a Falcon and the Motto Altiora Sequimur.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

25 June 2006 12:06

I don’t have this book (I wish I did) but let me add the arms of the 3d Air Depot Group, as I remember them:  Per fess nebuly Or and Azure three billets in fess counterchanged.  Crest:  On a wreath of the colors, the Taj Mahal proper.

How do I know this?  My father was assigned to this depot, which was located in Agra, India, in 1944-45.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

25 June 2006 16:43

Joseph McMillan wrote:

I don’t have this book (I wish I did) but let me add the arms of the 3d Air Depot Group, as I remember them:  Per fess nebuly Or and Azure three billets in fess counterchanged.  Crest:  On a wreath of the colors, the Taj Mahal proper.

How do I know this?  My father was assigned to this depot, which was located in Agra, India, in 1944-45.

The Crest is not shown in the Book but the Motto: "That they shall fly again" is shown. A co-worker at my former job did visit India last year and she went to the Taj Mahal, a magnicificent experience she said afterwards.

As for the Book I only have it as a loan.