Apart from Cities, Sweden’s municipalities were once also divided into Boroughs (Sw. Köping), Municipal Settlements (Sw. Municipalsamhälle) and Rural Municipalities (Sw. Landskommun). This distinction has since the 1970’s been replaced by a single type of Municipality called Commune (Sw. Kommun). Former Cities were however allowed to continue to call themselves Cities (Sw. Stad).
I here intend to present some of these now obsolete Arms:
Borough of Borlänge. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 20th February 1942 and made obsolete on 1st January 1944 on the formation of the city of Borlänge by the amalgamation of the Borough with the Domnarvet Rural Municpality.
Blason: Azure a fess wavy between in chief a set of scales and in base a boat all Argent.
The Fess symbolises the Tuna streams on which the Domarvet Ironworks was founded. The Scales symbolise commerce and the boat the word "Bor" meaning a place where boats had to be carried.
Arms of the Rural Municipality of Alfta (here shown in the form of the Armorial Flag). Approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 5th November 1970 and made obsolete on 1973 when Alfta was incorporated into the Commune of Ovanåker.
Blason: Argent a fesswise wavy Eel Gules in base three waves Azure.
The Arms are based on the Seal of the Parish of Alfta, known since 1757.
Arms of the Rural Municipality of Alstad (NB the scroll is not part of the Arms), approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 2nd June 1961and made obsolete on 1st January 1967 when Alstad was incorporated into the commune of Trelleborg. The Bend symbolises the Road between Malmö and Ystad known from Literature. The Willow tree and Ear of Corn symbolise the Farming Area of Söderslätt where Alstad is located.
Arms of the Rural Municipality of Asarum , approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 12th October 1945 and made obsolete on 1st January 1967 when Asarum was incorporated into the Commune of Karlshamn.
Blason: Or above a base wavy Azure semé of 12 bezants, two Oaks Vert.
The Base symbolises the ancient Offering spring at Asarum with offering Coins. Oaks surround this spring, an Oak is also found in the Arms of the Province of Blekinge where Asarum is situtated.
Rural Municipality of Attmar. The Arms composed by Hans Schlyter, then City Architect of Sundsall were approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 30th June 1960 and become obsolete on 1st January 1963 when Attmar was incorporated into the Commune of Sundsvall.
Blazon: Argent a Song Trush with raised Wings Azure, armed, eyed, langued and legged Or standing on a tree stump Sable.
The Bird and tree stump are form the Parish Seal, known since 1750.
Rural Municipality of Barkåkra, approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 13th December 1963 and made obsolete on 1st January 1971 when Barkåkra was incorporated into the Commune of Ängelholm. The Division of the Shield alludes to the meeting between Sea and Land in the Area. The Anchor symbolises Seafaring and the Patriarchal Cross is from the Emblem of the Swedish National Association Against Tuberculosis. This symbolises the fact that one of the first TB Sanatoriums in Sweden was situated in Barkåkra.
Rural Municplaity of Bettna, Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 27th February 1953 and made obsolete on 1st January 1971 when Bettna was divided between the Communes of Flen and Nyköping. The Applebranch symbolises the Åkerö Apples grown in the Area.
Borough of Bodafors, Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 24th September 1948 and made obsolete on 1st January 1971 when Bodafors was incorporated into Nässjö.
Blazon: Or, a fess Gules charged with a Plane Or.
The Plane alludes to the Furniture Industry.
Rural Municipality of Bor, Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 29th November 1957 and made obsolete on 1st January 1971 when Bor was incorporated into Värnamo.
Blazon: Azure below a human hand issuant from the upper side of the shield and a Drinking Horn all Argent, a Triple Mount Argent charged with a Clawed Hand Sable.
The Triple Mount symbolise the Trolleklippan (Troll’s Cliff). The Hand and the Drinking Horn alludes to the Legend of a Knight who meet some Trolls and managed to get away with a Silver Drinking Horn. The Arms wer composed by Professor Edvard Wibeck.
Rural Municipality of Borgsjö, Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 21st November 1961 and made obsolete on 1st January 1971 when Borgsjö was incorporated into Ånge.
Blazon: Per pale Azure and Argent in the first Field a Hand Argent with fingers set to Oath-taking and in the Second a Tower crenelated Azure below all a base wavy counterchanged.
The Hand is form the Seal of the Parish of Borgsjö known since 1611. The tower alludes to the Borg-part of the name. The wavy base alludes to the sjö-part (Sjö = Lake).
Borough of Danderyd, Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t 15th February 1946 and made obsolete when Danderyd was merged with the City of Djursholm. The New Commune was given the name Danderyd but took the Arms form Djursholm.
Blazon: per fess Argent and Vert, in Chief a Oakbranch per fess vert with two leaves and two Acorns and in base a Fish Argent finned Gules.
The Oakbranch symbolises the Oak Forests. The Fish is from the Seal of the Danderyd Skeppslag (an ancient Swedish Administrative Unit responsible for manning the Navy) from 1604.
Arms of the City of Djursholm taken over by the Commune of Danderyd. Djursholm was made a City in 1914 and the Arms were approved by Kungl. Maj:t in 1916. The Arms are based on the Arms of the Noble Family Banér, who owned for 300 Years the Estate Djursholm. The Roses symbolises Djursholm as a Garden City.
Borough of Stocksund, Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t in 1955 and made obsolete in 1967 when Stocksund was incorporated into the City of Djursholm.
Blazon: Azure three lines of logs Or united with chains Argent.
This symbolises the interpretation of the Name as connected with the Logs used to bar the entrance through the Sound.
Rural Municipality of Dannemora. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 10th May 1957 and made obsolete in 1973 when Dannemora was incorporated into the Commune of Östhammar.
Blazon: Argent a Triplemount Sable with three Fir trees Vert issuant.
The Black Mount symbolises the Mines and the Firs the Forests.
Rural Municipality of Ekshärad. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 18th December 1953 and made obsolete in 1973 when Ekshärad was incorporated into the Commune of Hagfors.
Blazon: Per pale Argent and Azure a Crossbow erect between two Arrows erect all counterchanged.
The Arms are based on the Seal of the Hundred of Älvdal, known since 1638.
Rural Municipality of Fagerhult. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 6th December 1968 and made obsolete on 1st January 1969, when Fagerhult was incorporated into the Commune of Högsby.
Blazon: Vert on a bend sinister Or a Leafed Branch Vert.
The Branch alludes to the Name which is interpreted as a Fair Grove of Trees.
Rural Municpality of Floda. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 13 June 1947 and made obsolete on 1 January 1971 when Floda was incorporated into Gagnef.
Blason: Argent three Harebells proper with sepals Vert.
The Harebell are the Provincial Flower of Dalarna where Floda is situated. It also symbolises the richness of Flowers in the Municpality.
Rural Municpality of Hille. Arms approved by Kungl. Maj:t 18 December 1964 and med obsolete on 1 January 1969 when Hille was incorporated into Gävle.
Blason: Argent a Female Bust Azure the Hair fastened on each side with band Or and bearing round the Neck a Pearl Necklace Or. The Arms was designed by the then City Architect of Sundsvall Hans Schlyter. It is based on the Parish Seal known since the end of the 17th Century. The Woman should according to tradition symbolises the Maiden Hilleborg who commissioned the building of the first Church in Hille.
Rural Municipality of Högsjö. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 28 June 1963 and made obsolete on 1 January 1969 when Högsjö was incorporated into Härnösand.
Blason: Argent a Raven Sable with the dexter claw raised.
This is also a Hans Schlyter design based on the Parish Seal.
Municipal Settlement later Borough of Kinna. Arms approved by Kungl. Maj:t on 27 April 1934 and on 1 January 1947 transferred to the Borough. The Arms was made obsolete on 1 Janaury 1971 when Kinna was incorporated into Mark.
Blason: fesswise Or and Sable (is that a correct way in describing the partition of the field?), in each of the Or part three Roundels Sable and in each Sable part a Weavers’ Shuttle Or.
The Roudels are from the Seal of the Hundred of Mark where Kinna is stuated. The Shuttles denotes the Textile Industry once important to Kinna.
Rural Municipality of Los. Arms approved by Kungl. Maj:t on 30 January 1953 and made obsolete on 1 January 1971 when Los was incorporated into Ljusdal.
Blason: Argent a Lynx rampant Gules armed Or.
The Arms was designed by the Swedish Municipal Heraldry Institute (a private organisation which seems to have ceased operations). The Lynx is canting as the Swedish name is Lo (or Lokatt), the Animal is also to be found in the Municpality. The Argent Field hints at the Nickel ore found here in 1751.
Marcus K;75467 wrote:
Blason: fesswise Or and Sable (is that a correct way in describing the partition of the field)...
Standard English blazonry would say "Barry of four, Or and Sable…"
Joseph McMillan;75468 wrote:
Standard English blazonry would say "Barry of four, Or and Sable…"
Aha, thanks Joseph.
Rural Municipality of Kållered. Approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 21 Novemebr 1958 and made obsolete on 1January 1971 when Kållered become part of Mölndal.
Blason: Azure two Axes in saltire Argent and on a base enarched Argent a Tree Stump Gules.
The Base encharched symbolises a Hill and is canting regarding the first part of the Name. The Axes and Tree Stump symbolises the later part which has the meaning Clearing in the Woods.
Rural Municiplaity of Offerdal. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 10 January 1957 and med obsolete in 1973 when Offerdal become part of Krokom.
Blason: Per fess Argent and Azure, i chief a Moose’s Horn Crown Azure and in base a Bow and Arrow Argent.
The Arms symbolises the importance of Hunting in the Area.
Rural Municipality of Vittsjö. Arms approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 13 January 1969 and made obsolete in 1973 when Vittsjö was divided between Hässleholm and Osby.
Blason: Argent between two hoseshoes in pale Sable, a fess Sable charged with a Royal Crown Or.
This symbolises the incident when the future King Gustavus II Adolphus in 1611 was surrounded by enemy Forces near Vittsjö (at that time part of Denmark). He tried to flee across the Ice but went through, he was saved by his Chamberlain and a Cavalryman.
Rural Municipality of Österhaninge. Arns approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 2 February 1951 and made obsolete on 1 January 1970 when Österhaninge was merged with Västerhaninge to form the Municipality of Haninge.
Blason: Or a Cock-Capercaillie standing on a Cross Paty voided of the field, both Gules.
The Bird alludes to the last part of the name which in old Swedish can have the meaning Cock/Rooster. The Capercaille is a typical Woodland Bird and also symbolises the now much depleted Hanveden Forest. The Cross is taken form the symbols on a Runestone at Tyresta in the Municpality.
The Rural Municpality of Västerhaninge, whose Arms was approved by the Kungl. Maj:t on 28 November 1952 also showed a Capercaille with the same meaning. It also showed and Anchor symbolising the Navla base situated in the Municipality. The Blason is: per fess Or and Azure in chief a Cock-Capercaille Azure and in base an Anchor Or.
The united Muncipality of Haninge uses Arms nearly identical to the Västerhaninge Arms, but the Cock-Capercaille has been made Gules as in the Arms of Österhaninge.
The Haninge Arms registrated with the Swedish Office of Patent and Registrations in 1985.
Borough of Gnesta. Arms approved by Kungl. Maj:t om 10 January 1957 and used until 1973. The new enlarged Municpality of Gnesta uses different Arms.
Blason: Vert a Sickle Argent, supported by a Lynx rampant Or, langued, armed and flecked Gules.
The Sickle alludes to the part of Gnesta called Frustuna, which alludes to the ancient Harvest God Frö. The Lynx alludes to the Kattnäs part av Gnesta. A Lynx belongs to the Feline species, hence the connection Katt = Cat.
Borough of Hovmantorp. Arms approved by Kungl. Maj:t on 26 April 1957 and used until 1 January 1971 when the borough was divided between the Municpalities of Lessebo and Växjö.
Blason: Azure a Glass Oven Argent with three openings Gules, below acompanied by two Glassblowers’ pipes in saltire Argent with Glass-mass Gules.
The Arms symbolises the Glassworks, which was the main industry of Hovmantorp.
Borough of Markaryd. Arms approved by Kungl. Maj:t on 17 December 1948 and made obsolete on 1 Janaury 1971 when the borough Become a Municipality.
Blason: Azure a pallet between four postal horns, all Or.
Symbolises Markaryd as a Border Postal station before the Scanian Provinces become Swedish in the 17th Century.
Borough of Saltsjöbaden. Approved by Kungl. Maj:t on 22 June 1944 and made obsolete 1 January 1971 when Saltsjöbaden mergered with Nacka.
Blason: Argent a Trident Sable entwined with a Fish Gules finned Or, head to the base.
The Arms symbolises the location along the Baltic Sea.
Borough of Skillingaryd. Approved by Kungl. Maj:t on 10 December 1948 for the Municipal Settlement and for the borough on 14 Decmeber 1951. It was maed obsolete on 1 Janaury 1971 when Skillingaryd become part of Vaggeryd.
Blason: Per fess Argent and Gules, in chief three spruces Vert and i base two Gun barrels in saltire Argent.
The Spruces symbolises the Forests of the Area and the Gun barrels the Artillery Firering School once located to the Area.
Thanks for the wonderful examples of Swedish municipal heraldry. I am always struck by the beauty in simplicity of Nordic heraldry in general.
Thanks Hassan, glad to share the examples with you on the Forum.