Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

12 October 2009 02:52
Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

10 October 2011 11:21

bump up for the holiday this year—-Happy Columbus Day 2011 AHS!

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

10 October 2011 11:49

Nice painting, too.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

10 October 2011 14:18

That is quite a nice painting!

Happy Columbus Day everyone.

Caledonian

Caledonian
Total Posts:  153
Joined  13-09-2011

10 October 2011 16:54

To the wandering Genoan who became the most celebrated visitor to the New World who never set foot on North America; thousands of U.S. government employees are forever grateful for his having discovered the Domincan Republic!

Hugh Brady

Hugh Brady
Total Posts:  989
Joined  16-08-2005

10 October 2011 20:35

Thanks so much for this. On a related note, I am looking for the coat of arms, if any, of the explorer Champlain. I have searched in vain for years. I saw an image of purported arms many years ago that I never copied (argh!) and if anyone on this list has seen them, please let me know. Thanks!

Caledonian

Caledonian
Joined  13-09-2011

10 October 2011 21:08

gselvester;72492 wrote:

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7286/dasilva.jpg

What is the design in the third quartering supposed to represent?

mquigley

mquigley
Total Posts:  68
Joined  06-10-2011

10 October 2011 21:12

The third quarter represents the island of Hispanola and the other island nations of the New World.

Caledonian

Caledonian
Joined  13-09-2011

10 October 2011 22:03

mquigley;88585 wrote:

The third quarter represents the island of Hispanola and the other island nations of the New World.

Although it would be an anachronism, I wonder if Leif Erikson has had a coat of arms designed for or attributed to him?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

10 October 2011 23:30

Caledonian;88574 wrote:

To the wandering Genoan who became the most celebrated visitor to the New World who never set foot on North America; thousands of U.S. government employees are forever grateful for his having discovered the Domincan Republic!

i’m tired of arguing the validity of this holiday and the history of this man with others off and on all day. instead in addition to my happy Columbus Day to everyone, i’ll thank God for this Italian and the Spanish for discovering this place, albeit by accident, so that this Irishman could enjoy this most blessed of nations we call the U.S.A.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

10 October 2011 23:34

Hugh Brady;88583 wrote:

Thanks so much for this. On a related note, I am looking for the coat of arms, if any, of the explorer Champlain. I have searched in vain for years. I saw an image of purported arms many years ago that I never copied (argh!) and if anyone on this list has seen them, please let me know. Thanks!

i can’t remember who it was who had a number of these explorers arms in pictures that was posted here some years ago as they may be able to help you with this. i wanna think it was either Hassan, or Mark, or David. if i do remember, Hugh, i’ll post it or PM it.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

11 October 2011 04:29

Caledonian;88587 wrote:

Although it would be an anachronism, I wonder if Leif Erikson has had a coat of arms designed for or attributed to him?

As far as I know there are no arms attributed to Leif Erikson (Leifr Eiríksson in Old Norse). His dates c.970-1020 predates the earliest known arms in Scandinavia. Furthermore, he was an outlaw, and the son of an outlaw (Erik the Red). His father kept and travelled with inherited ornamental beams, probably use in a longhouse known as setstokkr, which had significant mystical value. Leif Erikson converted to Christianity at the behest of King Olaf I of Norway perhaps around 1002.

The first explorer to sight North America is thought to be Bjarni Herjólfsson mentioned in the Grœnlendinga saga (Greenlanders Saga) in about 985/6. It was Leif Erikson and his 35 crew members who followed Bjarni’s route in 1002/3 and actually set foot on North America, naming it Leifsbudir (Leif’s Storage House) which today is known as L’Anse aux Meadows.

In 1964 the United States Congress authorized and requested the president to proclaim October 9 of each year as "Leif Erikson Day".

Caledonian

Caledonian
Joined  13-09-2011

11 October 2011 09:28

Richard G.;88596 wrote:

As far as I know there are no arms attributed to Leif Erikson (Leifr Eiríksson in Old Norse). His dates c.970-1020 predates the earliest known arms in Scandinavia. Furthermore, he was an outlaw, and the son of an outlaw (Erik the Red). His father kept and travelled with inherited ornamental beams, probably use in a longhouse known as setstokkr, which had significant mystical value. Leif Erikson converted to Christianity at the behest of King Olaf I of Norway perhaps around 1002.

The first explorer to sight North America is thought to be Bjarni Herjólfsson mentioned in the Grœnlendinga saga (Greenlanders Saga) in about 985/6. It was Leif Erikson and his 35 crew members who followed Bjarni’s route in 1002/3 and actually set foot on North America, naming it Leifsbudir (Leif’s Storage House) which today is known as L’Anse aux Meadows.

In 1964 the United States Congress authorized and requested the president to proclaim October 9 of each year as "Leif Erikson Day".

In that case, allow me to wish everyone here a belated happy Leif Erikson Day!

While as I pointed out it would have been a bit of an anachronism for a coat of arms to have been attributed to Leif; there are of course plenty of attributed arms for other historical and legendary figures who lived prior to the advent of heraldry as we generally think of it today.

Although it wasn’t an emblem of personal identity; the Viking raven banner shown below may have been flown by Leif Erikson and brought with him on his voyage to the New World circa 1000 AD; making it quite probably the earliest emblematic banner of European origin to have been planted on North American soil.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3408/3605970340_91703a54f7.jpg

In the interest of fairness it should be pointed out that Christopher Columbus was for a time considered an outlaw himself by the Spanish government, and was arrested and dismissed as governor of the settlements in Hispaniola in 1500.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 October 2011 11:42

Hugh Brady;88583 wrote:

I am on a similar look-out for the arms of English explorer Henry Hudson.  I’ve heard tell of them in a couple of places around New York City, but I haven’t seen an image and I haven’t been able to make the trek down to NYC myself.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

11 October 2011 12:26

Caledonian;88607 wrote:

In that case, allow me to wish everyone here a belated happy Leif Erikson Day!

While as I pointed out it would have been a bit of an anachronism for a coat of arms to have been attributed to Leif; there are of course plenty of attributed arms for other historical and legendary figures who lived prior to the advent of heraldry as we generally think of it today.

Although it wasn’t an emblem of personal identity; the Viking raven banner shown below may have been flown by Leif Erikson and brought with him on his voyage to the New World circa 1000 AD; making it quite probably the earliest emblematic banner of European origin to have been planted on North American soil.

In the interest of fairness it should be pointed out that Christopher Columbus was for a time considered an outlaw himself by the Spanish government, and was arrested and dismissed as governor of the settlements in Hispaniola in 1500.

It is often thought to be a misconception that Viking explorers brought the Raven Banner to Vinland, on the shores of America. It is unclear how this misconception developed, since in none of the saga sources nor archaeological finds has any indication been found that any of the Viking explorers of the New World carried a Raven Banner at any time.

The Raven Banner is always described as being the personal banner of a specific Viking chieftain or leader. The Viking Age predates the formation of the various Scandinavian nations. Thus without a nation, there was not a "national flag". Nor was there a monolithic "Viking Nation".

The accounts of the Raven Banners of the Vikings all emphasize the magical and prophetic powers of the sigil.

What might hve been included on this voyage are metal "windvanes" or prow ornaments. They were later reused as "windvanes". The surviving examples all bear designs in the Ringerike style, which places their date from late 10th century to as late as the 12th century.

(And if I could work out how to post a photo I would). :confused:

Caledonian

Caledonian
Joined  13-09-2011

11 October 2011 12:47

Richard G.;88613 wrote:

It is often thought to be a misconception that Viking explorers brought the Raven Banner to Vinland, on the shores of America. It is unclear how this misconception developed, since in none of the saga sources nor archaeological finds has any indication been found that any of the Viking explorers of the New World carried a Raven Banner at any time.

The Raven Banner is always described as being the personal banner of a specific Viking chieftain or leader. The Viking Age predates the formation of the various Scandinavian nations. Thus without a nation, there was not a "national flag". Nor was there a monolithic "Viking Nation".

The accounts of the Raven Banners of the Vikings all emphasize the magical and prophetic powers of the sigil.

What might hve been included on this voyage are metal "windvanes" or prow ornaments. They were later reused as "windvanes". The surviving examples all bear designs in the Ringerike style, which places their date from late 10th century to as late as the 12th century.

(And if I could work out how to post a photo I would). :confused:

Here you go:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/schools/primaryhistory/images/vikings/vikings_at_sea/vk_viking_weather_vane.jpg