US Heraldic Registry or American College of…

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

28 October 2009 11:31

these are really good :p but when your paint a coa I suggest to do it with a white background so the arms pop more, with a black background certain things of a coa look less clear.

About developing an own style look at other heraldic painters and then get inspiration from their paintings. This way you will find style elements you like and can use. Also have a look around this forum there are numerous pictures of heraldic art about.

House of gaels

House of gaels
Total Posts:  37
Joined  23-09-2009

29 October 2009 08:27

Thank You everyone for the kind words. I’ve been making these and others now for a couple of years, to get ready for the launch of my business. I have been praying that I didn’t over-estimate the demand for full blazons here in the U.S. or any country for that matter. It’s just that since I’m on a shoestring budget I am having to learn web-design as well and try to incorporate all of the things I want to say to people about heraldry is all overwhelming, but I’m getting there.

My next move is a full blazon, so when I finish one I’ll post it. In the mean time I’ll join the society here ‘cause I could use advice from you guys. The only thing I know is is that I don’t want my company to come across as certain larger online companies who don’t care at all about true heraldry. I’m trying hard not to name names.

emrys, I have done these on white as well.

James Dempster, I will check out the Scottish Heraldry Society as well. They intimidated me considering how regimented Scotland is with rules pertaining to Heraldry.

Kathy McClurg, I have actually considered doing a couple in leather,carved glass and other mediums, but I just haven’t had the time to get to it yet. Still a bit of a learning curve there.

Again thanks everyone for the kind words!!They mean allot to me getting this off the ground.

- Andrew

House of Gaels

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

29 October 2009 13:57

House of gaels;72979 wrote:

The only thing I know is is that I don’t want my company to come across as certain larger online companies who don’t care at all about true heraldry. I’m trying hard not to name names.

good idea. do what i and others do. simply become the best heraldic artist you can by staying true to solid heraldic principles, take good (*we’ve all had nuts try and get an emblazon*) commissions as they come and share your work. if you do that i believe you’ll find that more people will see, like and respect your work and then it will grow responsibly.

i used to have queues that would be close to and sometimes were double digits and it got to be too much. i now have a queue with three in it and my current piece i’m workin on is for someone here and the next one is also for someone here, but my third is for the family of a deceased Catholic deacon. i limit my queue now, so that i don’t feel so rushed and so i can focus on doing the piece the way i want to—right so to say.

if you force yourself to stay within yourself you will never have fear of becoming a bucket shop enterprise. as my favorite coach, Coach Mitchell, used to tell us when i was playing, "K.I.S.S." and we all should know what that means. it is how i try to operate my heraldic art business and has worked well for me especially when it began to get to be too much.

best of luck and i look forward to seeing more. smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 October 2009 20:52

RE: background colors (white v. black v. whatever) & other artistic considerations, you might look for a copy of Carl von Volborth’s "The Art of Heraldry."  Out of print AFAIK but maybe avail used.

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

29 October 2009 22:59

Michael F. McCartney;73016 wrote:

RE: background colors (white v. black v. whatever) & other artistic considerations, you might look for a copy of Carl von Volborth’s "The Art of Heraldry."  Out of print AFAIK but maybe avail used.

I found a reasonably priced used copy from Powell’s Books, through Amazon. They may have more.

GREAT book.

House of gaels

House of gaels
Joined  23-09-2009

30 October 2009 08:44

John Mck;73019 wrote:

I found a reasonably priced used copy from Powell’s Books, through Amazon. They may have more.

GREAT book.

I’ll check it out thanks!

- Andrew

House of Gaels

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

04 November 2009 15:53

Powell’s is indeed a gem!—tho" I found my copy of von Volborth’s Art of Heraldry at a smaller bookstore a few blocks from Powell’s—Portland is a wonderful place to walk around & among other pleasures, to shop for old books.

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

04 November 2009 18:10

I’ve only been to the physical store once, but yeah - Portland seems like a grea town.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

04 November 2009 19:44

Just out of curiosity, whither now the USHR? I keep an eye on new registrations there, and it seems like only one has been posted since May. Is the operation moribund? And is Michael Swanson no longer active with the AHS?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

04 November 2009 20:44

Fred White;73153 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, whither now the USHR? I keep an eye on new registrations there, and it seems like only one has been posted since May. Is the operation moribund? And is Michael Swanson no longer active with the AHS?

Michael Swanson is no longer a member of the AHS nor a participant in this forum. As for the future of the USHR, I suspect that it operational existence has passed and that it now serves as a sort of archived roll of arms for as long as Michael Swanson continues to host its Internet presence.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

04 November 2009 20:51

Too bad—both Michael, and his USHR, were a welcome and valuable to our forum, the society & our favorite obsession.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

09 November 2009 12:21

David Pritchard;73157 wrote:

Michael Swanson is no longer a member of the AHS nor a participant in this forum. As for the future of the USHR, I suspect that it operational existence has passed and that it now serves as a sort of archived roll of arms for as long as Michael Swanson continues to host its Internet presence.

I imagine it’s been a huge undertaking for a one-man show. Still, I’d think if the USHR wasn’t accepting new submissions that it would say so on the web site.

I’m very sorry to learn that Michael isn’t a member of the AHS any longer as he was such an active and welcome contributor (at least in my eyes).

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

09 November 2009 18:58

I have sent a note off to Michael asking about the status of the USHR. My arms are registered there and I would hate to see the great resource and his great services disappear.

Dave

House of gaels

House of gaels
Joined  23-09-2009

10 November 2009 08:22

It seems that if you look at the registry submissions part of his website, it say he isn’t accepting any commissions at this time. Maybe he’s swamped with work or something?

- Andrew

House of Gaels

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 November 2009 14:51

it’s a family issue. i would caution everyone from jumping to any conclusions regarding Michael or his enterprise. give him and it some time. having gone through a deeply personal familial loss this past year i can completely understand where his priorities are. heraldry is great, but family is certainly more important. so, i’d ask people to be patient and considerate of Michael given our experience with him etc.