Tabards—Just for fun

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

19 October 2011 23:06

Chuck Glass;89220 wrote:

OK, jumping in late with the Lone Star Herald.

Very nice!  Personally, I would abandon the wreath Proper as it does not appear on the Texas flag and I think it would be striking to pattern a Texas tabard after the beautifully simple Texas flag.  I might also make the star a tad bigger since it occupies the main part of the tabard.  That’s just my two cents.

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

20 October 2011 07:49

Yes, but the wreath and star together constitute the full, official Coat of Arms of Texas, http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=State.Texas.  Otherwise, you just have a flag tabard and nothing really heraldic.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

20 October 2011 08:14

Chuck Glass;89226 wrote:

Yes, but the wreath and star together constitute the full, official Coat of Arms of Texas, http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=State.Texas. Otherwise, you just have a flag tabard and nothing really heraldic.

It’s not really heraldic in any case.  I still think what the the people who originally adopted this design really intended was that the arms would be "Azure a star Argent," and that the shield (whether heater-shaped or round) would be surrounded by the wreath.  I wouldn’t deny that the sovereign State of Texas can define its arms however it pleases, but I don’t believe they can be defined as heraldic in our terms.

Even if they could, a proper tabard would have the arms and only the arms displayed front, back, and sleeves.  Where, heraldically speaking, does the red come from?

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

20 October 2011 09:15

Joseph McMillan;89227 wrote:

It’s not really heraldic in any case.  I still think what the the people who originally adopted this design really intended was that the arms would be "Azure a star Argent," and that the shield (whether heater-shaped or round) would be surrounded by the wreath.  I wouldn’t deny that the sovereign State of Texas can define its arms however it pleases, but I don’t believe they can be defined as heraldic in our terms.

Even if they could, a proper tabard would have the arms and only the arms displayed front, back, and sleeves.  Where, heraldically speaking, does the red come from?

Good points from both Chuck and Joseph.  Thanks.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Total Posts:  240
Joined  30-03-2011

20 October 2011 09:44

Could we see one for Tennessee and Alabama?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

20 October 2011 11:33

Does Tennessee have arms (as opposed to a seal) that could serve as the basis for a tabard?  I think the elements on the Tennessee seal could be tweaked into a respectable coat of arms, but unless I’ve missed something the state has never used them as such.

As for Alabama:  my less-than-ambivalence about the arms has made me procrastinate on doing a tabard.  If I get back to the series, I think Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, and Colorado would all be more fun.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

20 October 2011 12:27

You are correct. Tennessee doesnt have arms so I guess they would have to be designed. I know that some people have a problem with Alabama’s arms mainly because of the Confederate Battle Flag.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

20 October 2011 12:35

harold cannon;89241 wrote:

You are correct. Tennessee doesnt have arms so I guess they would have to be designed. I know that some people have a problem with Alabama’s arms mainly because of the Confederate Battle Flag.

I have no problem with the Confederate battle flag as such.  I have a problem with the basic concept of the Alabama arms.  "Six Flags" may be a nice concept for an amusement park, but it’s a lousy basis for heraldry.

harold cannon

harold cannon
Joined  30-03-2011

20 October 2011 12:40

So be it but it looks like we are stuck with it.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

20 October 2011 13:24

harold cannon;89244 wrote:

So be it but it looks like we are stuck with it.

Possibly, but having emblazoned it once for Flags of the World and our series on state coats of arms, I personally don’t feel inclined to prolong my misery by drawing a tabard of it to go with the tabards I did at the top of this thread.

Speaking only for myself, of course—others with stronger stomachs may feel otherwise.

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

22 October 2011 08:46

A re-do on the Texas Tabard.

[ATTACH]957[/ATTACH]

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

29 July 2013 09:31

Picking up this project after a long hiatus, herewith the tabard of Excelsior Herald of New York:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1218&stc=1&d=1375104571

For any New Yorkers in the group, I know that the modern arms of New York show boats on the river (and the near bank as well), but the original emblazonments did not, and I think the arms are better without.  And it’s my project!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

29 July 2013 10:16

New York’s is excellent. The herald could have several boats with velcro on the back and just move them around on the tabard. wink

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

29 July 2013 12:08

I would love to feature a tabard of Maine (Acadia Herald?) on my blog, with your permission!

I think a rendition of the legal blazon (with an Argent field) as opposed to the landscape in the modern-official version would be pretty slick.

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

29 July 2013 13:25

Good heavens, but wouldn’t some these - especially New York - make lovely dresses? I’ve always like the heraldic evening gown concept.  (And New York would even make a great sun dress - no pun intended.)