Eskew Arms Idea

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

21 January 2010 00:36

John Mck;74453 wrote:

I knew the Olympics were in Canada, but I didn;t realize it was Quebec :D

That would make a cool coat of arms for some Canadian organization or municipality.  Perhaps it could serve as the arms of the Quebec Branch of the Canadian Automotive Association (CAA):  see http://www.caaquebec.com/Accueil/ for the old logo.  For that purpose I would replace the annulets with a beaver or other Canadian symbol.  Oooppss!  I digress.  Sorry.

rsq001

rsq001
Total Posts:  59
Joined  04-10-2009

21 January 2010 04:27

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/rsq001/1-20-103b.jpg

So I have adjusted a bit and have left the most important pieces of what I wanted.  The ducks are representative of keeping composure under tight situations which can be very difficult to do and is nice to have a visual reminder.  The LXVII is for my wife and I(6 being my favorite number 7 my wife’s, though it is not Sixty Seven it looks better than VI VII).  The coloring I’m overly stuck on and have adjusted again and should stand out a bit better.

Not included but still important:  The Latin verbiage Fidus, Fortis, Decus (Loyal, Steadfast, Honor) are values that I espouse and strive to exemplify.  The pillars represent strength and support.

The saltire is not the most important aspect in the design though I do like how it looks. Also I removed the rings because it became a bit of overkill the LXVII takes care of that message it may be cryptic but I like it.

I hope this helps to explain some of what I am trying to display and be ascetically pleasing at the same time.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

21 January 2010 05:43

Ok, Ryan - thanks for the input on elements.  Save the six and seven for the crest - we’ll get there.

It would be nice for you to comment on Kimon’s efforts - Frankly I really like his canting idea.  Canting is a great way to identify one’s name from a distance.  It would also be nice to know if you are set on red, white and blue or if your intent is to have the ducks "proper" which would pre-suppose you identify what "kind" of ducks and you do need to let us know if you have a preference on aspect.

Here are some ducks/aspects you may consider:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kempele.vaakuna.svg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wappen_Stetten_an_der_Donau.png

The thing about the saltire is it leaves the ducks smaller than they have to be.  Of you can live without it - I would…

Kimon - if you have a reasonable picture of a duck, how about:

Argent, a pile embowed sinister (color - Whatever) in dexter a duck volant proper.  (could also go with two ducks in dexter)

Or we could leave the pile out and go: per bend embowed sinister Argent and azure in dexter a duck volant gules.

Just some thoughts.

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

21 January 2010 08:47

Ryan

Thanks for giving us some more information but I have some comments:
<ul class=“bbcode_list”>
<li>LXVII is 67. If you want to allude to the numbers 6 & 7, perhaps you could have 6 of something and 7 of another on the shield, on either side of a partition or ordinary.</li>
<li>Tincture violation: metal should not be put on metal, nor colour on colour</li>
<li>Like Kathy said, if you want to use a duck, it either has to be a specific duck and blazoned proper or a generic one and follow the tincture rule above.</li>
<li>Please do consider canting arms, it’s not a requirement but always highly recommended. My attempt above is just one of the many possible ways to play on the name.</li>
<li>I agree with Kathy, unless the saltire is important to you (e.g. some relation to the name Andrew or to St. Andrew) you may be better off without it.</li>
<li>I see you removed the fleur-de-lys. Was it included originally because it looked good or is there some meaning behind it? Is perhaps your wife called Lilly?</li>
</ul>
Finally, I wanted to make sure you don’t forget something. These arms will be yours and passed on to your descendents for, hopefully, many generations into the future. The finaly decision is yours and don’t expect to please everyone. Whatever design you choose in the end, will have at least one person saying they’re butt ugly.

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

21 January 2010 09:08
Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

21 January 2010 09:54

Ryan,

You seem to be missing some fundamental points of coat armor. Your coat of arms is what is on your shield. Pillars to the sides, Roman numerals above, etc., are interesting artistic elements in a rendering of your arms, but are in no way, shape, or form, a part of your arms. A typical achievement will include a shield (your coat of arms), a helmet with mantling, and a crest resting on top of the helmet. You are not required to display your arms in such a manner and are free to display it how you wish, but let’s be clear as to what a coat of arms is. At it’s most basic, it is your shield. And that’s it. The rest of what you’re including is just artwork.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

21 January 2010 10:05

I don’t understand why one’s "favorite numbers" would be so important that one would want to include them in one’s achievement of arms, BUT, if they have some special meaning for you and your wife, may I suggest ... Instead of clumsy Roman numerals, incorporate as a charge a fleam. I don’t have a good picture to attach (Help, anyone?); but in the stylized form in which it appears in hearaldry, this surgical instrument might be seen as cryptically combining the Arabic numerals 6 & 7. Might make a good badge.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 January 2010 10:15

kimon;74468 wrote:

Please do consider canting arms, it’s not a requirement but always highly recommended.

Always highly recommended?  By whom?

Canting arms are a thoroughly honorable tradition, but non-canting arms are historically far more common than canting ones.  Anyway, I don’t think the askew=eskew pun is all that compelling.  Canting always works better, to my mind, if there’s actually a connection between the name and the pun.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 January 2010 10:20

Fleam:

http://www.library.nd.edu/rarebooks/digital_projects/heraldry/charges/images/fleam.gif

From the University of Notre Dame Library reference resource on heraldry.

kimon

kimon
Joined  28-03-2008

21 January 2010 10:23

Joseph McMillan;74472 wrote:

kimon wrote:

Please do consider canting arms, it’s not a requirement but always highly recommended.

Always highly recommended?  By whom?

Well… usually the first step, whenever *new* arms are being devised even by professionals, is to come up with a cant. If that doesn’t work, try something else. Right?

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Canting arms are a thoroughly honorable tradition, but non-canting arms are historically far more common than canting ones.

Yep and that’s why nobody said it’s a requirement.

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Anyway, I don’t think the askew=eskew pun is all that compelling.  Canting always works better, to my mind, if there’s actually a connection between the name and the pun.

Agreed and the "askew" thing was just an example and a suggestion.

Ryan, see above for an example of what I meant about not pleasing everyone smile

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

21 January 2010 21:46

Kimon - thanks for the emblazonss.  I like them.

Ryan, if red, white and blue are your "colors" cool - but since we don’t know for sure - might I add, I’d have to say, for me (being who I am) red, white and blue SCREAM USA on the Fourth of July. - which isn’t bad - I just expect a sousa march to start playing.

I agree with Joe that canting arms are less common, but that’s part of what makes them so appealing.  I mean, how do you cant "McClurg?" and Father Byer’s arms are one of my all-time favorites.

I also agree with Kimon that no matter what you decide, they are YOUR arms and there will always be someone who doesn’t like them.  Strive to find something you like that is within the realms of "good" heraldry (I’m still figuring out exactly what that means), don’t copy anyone else’s arms, take your time and all that…

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

22 January 2010 01:23

I like the Eskew/Askew pun. It seems to me, however, that the attempt to include almost anything else in the arms (e.g. ducks) will obscure the cant.

I would suggest something like this for "Eskew Arms":

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/785/askeweskew.png

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

22 January 2010 11:01

I’ve never hid my preference for canting arms, and I think the one presented by Fr. Byers is excellent.  It’s rare that someone could have arms so simple yet so original.

rsq001

rsq001
Total Posts:  59
Joined  04-10-2009

27 January 2010 01:51

So the Askew tie in is cool, but my family does not exactly associate with any Askew’s.  Kathy I really liked your design and I agree that the red, white, and blue becomes a bit overly patriotic.  So I changed the duck to green and like it better though I am still not sure that it is just right yet.  Thank you everyone for your help to focus my thoughts and get closer to a usable design.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/rsq001/eskew13-1.gif

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Joined  13-03-2009

27 January 2010 03:03

And we must thank Kimon for all of his help with originating the Askew idea and Father Byers for posting images - I finally downloaded Gimp but haven’t a clue how to use it… Time to buy books and do experiments!