AssumeArms.com

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

22 February 2010 22:28

Friends,

I found another online registry at:  http://www.assumearms.com/.  Registration is free.  See:  http://www.assumearms.com/Registration.aspx.  You can see an embryonic roll of arms at:  http://www.assumearms.com/Browse-Achievements.aspx.  IMHO, some of the designs are quite nice, albeit not designed by assumearms.com (e.g.,  the Hammontree arms).

While I certainly agree with the premise of the website (e.g., that in most countries including the US one can simply assume arms), I still have reservations about this one.  Can’t put my finger on it…  What do you guys think?

Incidentally, how is Michael Swanson doing?  I understand he is taking a break from the US Heraldic Registry to attend to more pressing personal matters.  Is this still the case?  I hope all is well with him and hope to see the attractive US Heraldic Registry active again.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

23 February 2010 01:05

eploy;75184 wrote:

While I certainly agree with the premise of the website (e.g., that in most countries including the US one can simply assume arms), I still have reservations about this one.  Can’t put my finger on it…  What do you guys think?

These statements on the site may help in arriving at a conclusion:

"I have also just completed the arms of HIH Roberto Jesus Hildalgo Carrillo, Prince of Kholm."

"For completing this very special set of arms, I have been knighted by Prince Robeto of Kholm."

"I have also been made an official Heraldic Artist of the Princely and Grand Ducal College of Heraldry."

/Charles

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

23 February 2010 05:00

Charles E. Drake;75188 wrote:

These statements on the site may help in arriving at a conclusion:

"I have also just completed the arms of HIH Roberto Jesus Hildalgo Carrillo, Prince of Kholm."

"For completing this very special set of arms, I have been knighted by Prince Robeto of Kholm."

"I have also been made an official Heraldic Artist of the Princely and Grand Ducal College of Heraldry."

/Charles

Charles, Thanks for that.  Yep, that’ll do it!  I didn’t see these statements on my first read-through.  Sounds like a registry to avoid.

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

23 February 2010 14:27

Myth #3 - You Must Follow Specific Rules

This leads us straight into the last of the major myths: That there are specific rules as to what you may and may not put on your escutcheon, crest, torse, helm, mantling, compartment and/or supporters, or even if you may have supporters or mantling. Because there is no governing body, there are no rules and you may be as unique as you please. If I or one of our heralds design you an Armorial Achievement, we will advise you on the history and traditions of heraldry (e.g. the placing of two metal colors on top of each other is not wise for contrast reasons) but we will never say "you are not allowed to have an affonty facing helmet unless you are a knight" or any other such dogmatic phrase.

I’ll take three supporters please. Perhaps a double-headed eagle, a lion rampant, gules, and an f-16 jet. That would not be against the rules, . . .  it says so right here.

:mullet:

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

23 February 2010 15:02

eploy;75184 wrote:

Incidentally, how is Michael Swanson doing?  I understand he is taking a break from the US Heraldic Registry to attend to more pressing personal matters.  Is this still the case?  I hope all is well with him and hope to see the attractive US Heraldic Registry active again.

It looks like his website was updated just yesterday.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

23 February 2010 15:24

eploy;75184 wrote:

IMHO, some of the designs are quite nice, albeit not designed by assumearms.com.

And some are fairly hideous (the following is not necessarily the worst)

http://assumearms.com/Images/Achievements/Simone.Fontaine.Caulderwood-Coat-of-Arms.png

Not apparently designed by assumearms.com but by the "armiger": Rev. Cts. Simone Fontaine Caulderwood, Minisster "Holy Temple of the Twelve Gates", Grand Master Sovereign Templar Order Saint Michael and Saint George Knights Templars of Light (formerly Known As Alpha Omega International Order Knights Templars of Light

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

23 February 2010 16:56

Jay Bohn;75206 wrote:

And some are fairly hideous (the following is not necessarily the worst)

http://assumearms.com/Images/Achievements/Simone.Fontaine.Caulderwood-Coat-of-Arms.png

Not apparently designed by assumearms.com but by the "armiger": Rev. Cts. Simone Fontaine Caulderwood, Minister "Holy Temple of the Twelve Gates", Grand Master Sovereign Templar Order Saint Michael and Saint George Knights Templars of Light (formerly Known As Alpha Omega International Order Knights Templars of Light

International knights or interplanetary?  This guy’s clearly not from around these parts.

A Purpure field, charged with an Azure fleur-de-lys, which is charged in turn with a rose Gules.  I’ve got a flask of acid that would hurt my eyes less.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

23 February 2010 17:00

Oh trust me, I see a lot of heraldry that is down right bad, and that’s with those oh so horrible "rules" in place.  So, to add insult to injury, why not eliminate all the rules and see what kind of disaster we can create wink.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

24 February 2010 00:21

Madalch;75209 wrote:

International knights or interplanetary?  This guy’s clearly not from around these parts.

I think it’s a she.

/Charles

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

24 February 2010 00:25

Madalch;75209 wrote:

I prefer "intergalactic" as opposed to merely "interplanetary", but I guess I’m just mincing solar systems here.  wink

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

24 February 2010 04:07

Well,

We could always flood his registry with solid artwork of our membership.  But I suspect this is a business venture clouded in his "love" of heraldry discussions and will go defunct at some point. - but I’m a cynic.

It’s telling that Simone Fontaine Caulderwood doesn’t have a blazon associaed with her arms.  Even if she didn’t register one - there should have been and effort to do it by the registry as part of their database from the emblazon.

By the way, what is: Knight Officer Cross of the Order Of Prince Daniel of Kholm?

There really is a need for a US Registry that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg which has some integrity - I sincerely home Micheal is someday able to resume his work and/or someone can pick up where he left off someday.

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

24 February 2010 04:48

Kathy McClurg;75224 wrote:

There really is a need for a US Registry that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg which has some integrity - I sincerely home Micheal is someday able to resume his work and/or someone can pick up where he left off someday.

Happily, the US Heraldic Registry does appear to have undergone a recent facelift with a nice (IMO) understated look.  This suggests that Michael is back!  Intergalactic armigers take note!  wink

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Joined  04-03-2008

24 February 2010 05:34

By the way, what is: Knight Officer Cross of the Order Of Prince Daniel of Kholm?

Do a google search and you’ll get to the website of a pretend monarch in exile, further discussion of which, I’m afraid, is somewhat beyond this topic.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Joined  04-03-2008

24 February 2010 05:37

It’s telling that Simone Fontaine Caulderwood doesn’t have a blazon associaed with her arms. Even if she didn’t register one - there should have been and effort to do it by the registry as part of their database from the emblazon.

But that’s rules; a cardinal principle of this site is that there are none.

Farsot

Farsot
Total Posts:  80
Joined  23-10-2009

24 February 2010 07:32

eploy;75225 wrote:

Intergalactic armigers take note!  wink

:animlol:

John Mck

John Mck
Total Posts:  151
Joined  12-07-2009

24 February 2010 08:19

Madalch;75209 wrote:

A Purpure field, charged with an Azure fleur-de-lys, which is charged in turn with a rose Gules.  I’ve got a flask of acid that would hurt my eyes less.

This is one case in which being colorblind has its advantages :D