USAF Space Support Groups

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

14 March 2010 16:09

Arms of some Space Supports Groups of the USAF, pictures from the AFHRA by the way of Wikimedia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/1002d_Space_Support_Group.PNG

1002nd Space Support Group.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/1003d_Space_Support_Group.PNG

1003rd Space Support Group.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

14 March 2010 16:11
Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

14 March 2010 17:26

I really do want to slap whoever is designing USAF heraldry right across the chops. How a service that began with things like this:

http://www.afhra.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/webgraphic/AFG-070912-004.jpg

and

http://www.afhra.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/webgraphic/AFG-070924-023.jpg

ever got to this point can only be explained by remarkably sustained bad taste.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

15 March 2010 01:50

the 1st three look like something right outta NASA (sorry Guy), which in turn looks like the beginnings of the "Federation" logo. wink

i like the next two=awesome!

i second Joe’s comment.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

15 March 2010 07:43

Yes the USAF Heraldry certainly leaves much to be desired. I mean the embattled base in the 1002nd SSG is shown in prespective which is not heraldic.

The transformation can have something to do with that the USAAF used the TIOH which the USAF doesn’t seems to do. Air Force Heraldry of today seems to be the domain of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

15 March 2010 09:16

Marcus K;75488 wrote:

The transformation can have something to do with that the USAAF used the TIOH which the USAF doesn’t seems to do. Air Force Heraldry of today seems to be the domain of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

The relationship is more complicated than that.  The AFHRA ensures that USAF insignia comply with the Air Force instruction on heraldic devices, both as to substantive content (nothing morbid, nothing relating to gambling, no depictions of identifiable types of equipment, etc.; squadron insignia on roundels, higher level formations on shields) as well as some rather silly and mildly antiheraldic requirements (everything must have blue and yellow somewhere in it; all devices for groups and above must be on a shield with a "diminished" yellow border, etc.).  Beyond that, units pretty much have carte blanche to design their insignia however they choose.

"How they choose" can, but need not, include commissioning TIOH to do the design, in which case it will usually conform to heraldic norms.  This requires the unit to pay TIOH for the service—it’s the way the Institute’s budget is set up.  Even if TIOH does the design, AFHRA still has to give final approval.

Once AFHRA gives its blessing, the design then goes back to TIOH as the single manager for insignia for all the services, where the technical staff prepares the manufacturing specification, etc., for production of patches, pins, flags, and so on.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

15 March 2010 09:28

The problem is so much heraldry now looks like logoism…not true heraldry.  For some reason they must think it looks better, though I think they’re really sacrificing a lot of quality.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

15 March 2010 18:11

Joseph McMillan;75489 wrote:

The relationship is more complicated than that.  The AFHRA ensures that USAF insignia comply with the Air Force instruction on heraldic devices, both as to substantive content (nothing morbid, nothing relating to gambling, no depictions of identifiable types of equipment, etc.; squadron insignia on roundels, higher level formations on shields) as well as some rather silly and mildly antiheraldic requirements (everything must have blue and yellow somewhere in it; all devices for groups and above must be on a shield with a "diminished" yellow border, etc.).  Beyond that, units pretty much have carte blanche to design their insignia however they choose.

"How they choose" can, but need not, include commissioning TIOH to do the design, in which case it will usually conform to heraldic norms.  This requires the unit to pay TIOH for the service—it’s the way the Institute’s budget is set up.  Even if TIOH does the design, AFHRA still has to give final approval.

Once AFHRA gives its blessing, the design then goes back to TIOH as the single manager for insignia for all the services, where the technical staff prepares the manufacturing specification, etc., for production of patches, pins, flags, and so on.

Yes indeed it was somewhat more complicated, thanks for clearing that out. The rules about what is allowed on heraldic devices is not always followed as some old designs containing morbid elements like the Grim Reaper or things relating to gambling like dice seems to be accepted as a symbol of the Unit’s History. But these are old emblems dating to before these rules come into place, so I guess if a Unit come up with something like that today it would be rejected.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

15 March 2010 19:21

Marcus K;75496 wrote:

Yes indeed it was somewhat more complicated, thanks for clearing that out. The rules about what is allowed on heraldic devices is not always followed as some old designs containing morbid elements like the Grim Reaper or things relating to gambling like dice seems to be accepted as a symbol of the Unit’s History. But these are old emblems dating to before these rules come into place, so I guess if a Unit come up with something like that today it would be rejected.

Yes. I will refrain from comment other than to say that my father’s Korean War comrades took "grave" exception to AFHRA’s attempts to suppress the 13th Bomb Squadron’s Grim Reaper (known, for some obscure reason, as "Oscar") when the squadron was reactivated in the 1990s.  They succeeded admirably in beating the political-correctness police into submission.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

17 March 2010 18:40

Joseph McMillan;75498 wrote:

Yes. I will refrain from comment other than to say that my father’s Korean War comrades took "grave" exception to AFHRA’s attempts to suppress the 13th Bomb Squadron’s Grim Reaper (known, for some obscure reason, as "Oscar") when the squadron was reactivated in the 1990s.  They succeeded admirably in beating the political-correctness police into submission.

Well a Heartwarming story Joseph!

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

17 March 2010 19:52

I may have posted this before, but on the 13th Bomb Sqdn:

Oscar with the 13th Aero Squadron, circa 1918, flying SPAD XIIIs in France:

http://www.13thbombsquadron.org/images/oscarskeleton.gif

Unfortunately, I can’t find a close-up of the badge as used in the Pacific in World War II, but here is Oscar as he appeared in Korea, 1950 or thereabouts, flying B-26 Invaders:

http://www.13thbombsquadron.org/graphics/oscar.gif

(also often shown on a black background)

Vietnam, 1960s/70s, flying B-57s:

http://www.13thbombsquadron.org/images/oscar65a.jpg

And today, flying B-2s:

http://www.13thbombsquadron.org/images1/newOscar13.gif

(Possibly the most decorated squadron in USAF history:  11 Presidential Unit Citations, at least 10 Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards [five for valor], Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with palm, 34+ campaign streamers.)