Researching Blazon

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

01 May 2010 20:07

Jay—

I agree, but "enclosure" seems too vague. What about: Gules an enclosure fenced and gated Argent or perhaps Gules a fenced and gated enclosure Argent?

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

03 May 2010 09:43

Dear Fr Dohrman, the emblazonment is just gorgeous, this is what I believe to be high heraldry. And, personally, I always loved heraldic enclosures, although never had a chance to design a coat with one.

Whatever being the blazon, I do hope that the coat will remain as it is.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

03 May 2010 12:00

I may be late to this discussion but Fr.Dorman’s latest version "Gules a fenced and gated enclosure Argent" strikes me as the right balance to stay simple yet ensure that a gate is included.  Personally, I might favor more detail in the blazon, as the original image is striking and the shape he selected works so well and the gate location is right. What if some well meaning HA chap comes along and does an irregular shape or an inverted pyramid, or….the pemutations for horrible results are endless..speaking as a HA, myself.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

03 May 2010 12:20

Thank you, Michael, for your kind words. I am holding my breath, waiting for a reply from the prospective armiger, to see what he thinks.

David—

Trusting to the good taste of other and future artists seems to be one of the risks of heraldry.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

03 May 2010 19:35

One should keep in mind that the word dvor is also used to describe a work space such as a coal yard, steel yard, cattle yard. A good example of this in the Russian language is the St Petersburg Mint which is called the Coin Yard.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

03 May 2010 23:24

"Yard" does seem to have many uses—not forgetting Scotland Yard. I thought of a fenced yard, like a corral, since the family were farmers both in Bohemia and in Wisconsin.