Alexandria (VA) Academy

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

03 June 2010 22:50

A new/old school is opening up in Alexandria, VA, this coming year, with the mouthful of a name, "Alexandria Academy: The Washington Latin School in the City of Alexandria." New/old because the original Alexandria Academy was founded in 1785 and endowed by George Washington (who was also a member of the original board). It operated until 1823.

The new school on the same site (I think in partly in the original building, but possibly next door) was founded in 2009 and opens this year. It has adopted a coat of arms (predictably referred to on the website as a crest):

http://www.alexandria-academy.org/assets/images/Crest_Color_Large.jpg

Argent a chevron Gules between three open books proper, on a chief Azure three crosses paty Or. Crest: A lion passant Or.

Conventional, not especially inspired, but reasonably solid work, I’d say, other than the absence of a torse.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

04 June 2010 09:07

Yes the Lion walking directly on the Shield is not good Heraldry. As George Washington appears to have played a big part in the early History of the School perhaps some part of the Washington Arms could be includeed. I suggest replacing the Chevron with two Fesses Gules.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

05 June 2010 22:19

Since the "design" has already been published, it’s a little late to suggest changes.  Unless you have an "in" with the Board.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

06 June 2010 07:05

Doug Welsh;76896 wrote:

Since the "design" has already been published, it’s a little late to suggest changes.  Unless you have an "in" with the Board.

Yes of cause I have no hope that my suggestion should be taken any further.