The University of Alberta, Canada

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

04 June 2010 17:25

The University of Alberta (or U of Eh?) has a lovely coat of arms, granted by the CHA in 1994.

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/senate/images/coat.gif

The base is tapisse of wheat, for those not familiar with the pattern.  They normally use just the shield and motto as their visual identity.

Now the University Marketing Division, in its less-than-infinite wisdom, has decided that they would "update" this by turning the dancetty partition line into an sketch of mountains.

https://www.banister.ab.ca/images10/index_13_1.PNG

I am greatly annoyed at my Alma Mater.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

05 June 2010 22:23

Have you pointed out to them that they have changed a "Grant of Arms" without the permission of the "Granting Authority"?  They might possibly hear that as a potential legal issue" and revert to what was perfectly fine to start with.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 June 2010 01:21

good point. or, they could abandon both versions above and adopt a ‘trendy’ new logo instead.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 June 2010 21:28

At the risk of seeming too willing to ben to the prevailing wind, I rather like the new logo.  Compared to many, its relatively faithful to the original.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

08 June 2010 06:28

Seems a minor change from four points to three sloping points, so I agree with Mr. McCartney to it being a rather minor offense given other past examples.  Canada never seemed too finicky over heraldic practices from what I have seen of the Heraldic Authority there, and it would be simple enough to square off the bottom of the new shield and call it a logo which would be beyond the purview of the Authority.

Though the arms themselves seem rather uninspired, sorry to say, Mr. George.  A more traditional rendition of the arms of the Albertan province, with a book and an owl added to represent academia.

http://www.glenbow.org/exhibitions/online/libpics/coat.jpg

The College of Arms.  The coat of arms of Alberta.  1980.  Likely held by the Government of Alberta, Edmonton.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

08 June 2010 12:48

xanderliptak;76928 wrote:

Though the arms themselves seem rather uninspired, sorry to say, Mr. George.  A more traditional rendition of the arms of the Albertan province, with a book and an owl added to represent academia.

Considering that the University used the shield of the province’s arms (with a book on the cross) for eighty years, the CHA was lucky to have them as differenced as they are.

But replacing the dancetty partition line with some op-art version of mountains is not a "minor change".  It’s simply wrong.