Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

10 January 2012 08:00

tsmith;91605 wrote:

Here are the rest:

[pictures]

All very nice, but shouldn’t each of the snowflakes be different?

wink

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

10 January 2012 08:50

With all the thought that is going into this it should be a good one !  Let me know when you reach a decision and I’ll get to painting.  :USA: :GreatBritain:

tsmith

tsmith
Total Posts:  129
Joined  08-07-2010

10 January 2012 12:54

Kathy,

Here is a mockup of the current shield design by Kenneth:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1093/smithtravisnew.png
</div>

If I could figure out how, I would upload the rendering of this design I had done by Ljubodrag Grujic.  I can’t seem to upload the files to my allbum or as an attachment as they are too big.  How were you able to get your renderings by Ljubodrag loaded into your album?  Any guidance anyone has to offer on this point would be most appreciated as I would love to share his beautiful work with everyone here.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the way Ljubodrag painted my arms and must say that having such a nice emblazon makes me reluctant to change the shield design at all, save for a design that is so compelling and stunning it just calls my name.

As you may recall there has been some discussion about changing the shield design itself.  I am waiting on some mockups from Kenneth of the various chevron engrailed designs that have been discussed here over the past couple of weeks.  Once they are done I will have him post them in this thread.

Like I said, I am pretty pleased with my current shield design (and especially with Ljubodrag’s painting…I just can’t say that enough!) but I am keeping an open mind.  I want to make sure I get this right before I have Andy paint my arms!

Anyway, as to the crest I am inclined to agree that Azure semy of snowflakes Argent is the best route for the beast.  I like your idea of having the demi-lion winged Or.  That is a nice way to bring in the additional color and less complicated then the erminois/blue wing design I suggested yesterday.

While I tend to agree that having two different ferocious beasts in the same arms does create a certain amount of tension and divided focus, I am really liking the winged lion, especially the winged demi-lion with the crest coronet.  Plus, I am not sure if anybody (other than me) really likes the idea of a griffin semy of snowflakes, particularly a demi-griffin.

Let the conversation continue…

Travis

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

10 January 2012 12:59

Joseph McMillan;91609 wrote:

All very nice, but shouldn’t each of the snowflakes be different?

:D Less of an issue with hand painted or drawn snowflakes I suppose…

Travis

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

10 January 2012 13:12

Andrew Stewart Jamieson;91606 wrote:

I have to say that whilst I like the crest the deer is my preferred choice with the snow flakes I suppose traditionally lions are associated with the sun or warm places and deer cooler climes.

Andy,

I never actually thought about it that way.  But now that you mention it, it makes a certain amount of sense.  The stag is growing on me, but we will see.

I like the snow flake as a charge and you could ‘powder’ the mantling with it, just an idea. Either way I will look forward to painting your arms. :cool:

I like the idea of powdering the mantling with the snowflakes (which has already been suggested by Mike at post #175 - great minds think alike and all that!).  I suppose if the crest is a demi-beast of any sort the mantling could be a continuation of the crest beast, like you did with the demi-swan in the crest of the arms of Thomas de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, which I recently saw over at internationalheraldry.com.  More food for thought.

I am happy to hear you are looking forward to painting my arms!  It is going to be a real treat for me.

Travis

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

10 January 2012 13:22

tsmith;91621 wrote:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1093/smithtravisnew.png

</div>
I really like this design, ermine spots and all.  I think the winged demi-lion would make a great crest.  Two different winged beasts might be odd, but I’ve never been one to shy away from oddity wink

Quote:

I can’t seem to upload the files to my allbum or as an attachment as they are too big.

I imagine you’re going to have to re-size them on your computer first, then upload them.  Or you could try a service like Photobucket.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

10 January 2012 14:58

I really like the current shield design.  It’s very nice seeing the portcullis up in the chief.  Nice job!

As for the crest, I have a feeling i’m in the minority but I really like the lion gorged with the snowflake coronet.  It’s a nice way of tying everything in without being too busy.  However, I also like the lion Azure, semy of snowflakes (instead of ermine) with the cross.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

10 January 2012 18:01

I have to say that whilst I like the crest the deer is my preferred choice with the snow flakes I suppose traditionally lions are associated with the sun or warm places and deer cooler climes.

That’s why the lion turned blue.

More seriously, I think part of what I find charming about the idea of the lion in the snow is that it’s unexpected.

Andrew Stewart Jamieson

Andrew Stewart Jamieson
Total Posts:  244
Joined  13-05-2011

10 January 2012 18:08

A Lion chilly Azure , that would work smile

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

10 January 2012 22:32

Okay, let’s review the bidding:

A. A lion sejant Azure semy of snowflakes Argent winged resting its dexter forepaw on a Greek cross fleury Or.

B. (Issuant from a crest coronet Or) A winged demi-lion Azure semy of snowflakes Argent.  (I suppose the wings could be Or on this one as well).

C. A demi-stag Azure semy of snowflakes Argent attired and unguled Or (langued Gules).

I think that these are the three "finalists" for the crest design.  The nice thing about B and C is that they allow for the option of having the mantling flow from the crest which I think looks quite nice.

B is, to my mind, more dynamic and lively whereas A is the most static.

Does anybody having any thoughts about whether having gold wings on the lion in B is an improvement?

Also, for predatory beasts the default is to be armed and langued gules even if not specified, correct?

I look forward to further comment and hopefully I can make a decision before too long!

Travis

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 January 2012 05:30

Travis,

I’ve provided some thoughts via e-mail.  However, for the benefit of the forum who hasn’t seen the full achievement yet as done by Ljubodrag - which is magnificent - might I say…  The mantle is currently Azure and Emines…  Adding the semee of snowflake as things are has the potential to REALLY clutter the COA.

I’ve told Travis he may want to consider either:

1.  Replacing the ermines with Or (or Argent) in the mantle

2.  Replacing the ermines with Or (or Argent) throughout the CoA

3.  Changing the falcon to a stag (or whatever animal) Azure - no semee of snowflakes.

4.  Leaving the CoA as is and doing a badge with a stag azure a semee of snowflakes.

Once Travis shares the images, I’m sure the forum will chime in.

I’m kind of fond of the stag, if no one has noticed…  wink

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

11 January 2012 11:15

tsmith;91647 wrote:

Okay, let’s review the bidding:

A. A lion sejant Azure semy of snowflakes Argent winged resting its dexter forepaw on a Greek cross fleury Or.

B. (Issuant from a crest coronet Or) A winged demi-lion Azure semy of snowflakes Argent.  (I suppose the wings could be Or on this one as well).

C. A demi-stag Azure semy of snowflakes Argent attired and unguled Or (langued Gules).

I think that these are the three "finalists" for the crest design.  The nice thing about B and C is that they allow for the option of having the mantling flow from the crest which I think looks quite nice.

B is, to my mind, more dynamic and lively whereas A is the most static.

Does anybody having any thoughts about whether having gold wings on the lion in B is an improvement?

Also, for predatory beasts the default is to be armed and langued gules even if not specified, correct?

I look forward to further comment and hopefully I can make a decision before too long!

Travis

I’ll throw in my "vote" for B, without the gold wings.  I don’t feel like gold wings would work here.  If you want some gold, add a coronet or chain to his neck.

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

11 January 2012 12:49

I will try to post the Ljubodrag Grujic emblazonments that Kathy so graciously resized for me when I get home tonight so that everybody can see them.  Maybe when you do everybody will tell me I am crazy for thinking about changing the crest.

Anyway, As to Kathy’s suggestions:

1.) Just so everybody is clear: I would never dream of having the mantling Azure semy of snowflakes Argent doubled Erminois.  That’s too busy, even for me. :wink:

Relying on Kenneth’s advice earlier in this thread, I have refrained from specifically blazoning the mantling of my arms so as to allow for maximum artistic freedom and flexibility.  I like the idea of being able to have the mantling rendered simply Azure doubled Argent, Azure semy of snowflakes Argent doubled Or, or Azure doubled Erminois.  I won’t let anybody emblazon my arms with mantling Azure semy of snowflakes Argent doubled Erminois, I promise!

2.) I have no real interest in dropping the erminois from the shield in this design.

3.) A possibilty though not my favorite at this point.

4.) A decent idea if I choose to keep the falcon crest or even if I go with the lion instead of the stag I kind of like the idea of a stag badge.

Kathy…fond of the stag…you don’t say :wink:

Travis

tsmith

tsmith
Joined  08-07-2010

11 January 2012 22:59

Okay, so everybody can see the big picture (and enjoy some beautiful heraldic art) here is the full achievement of my arms as rendered by Ljubodrag Grujic with the original peregrine falcon crest:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1014&stc=1&d=1326340084
</div>

Thanks to Kathy who reduced the size of the image so that I could actually post it here.  The detail on this digital painting is stunning and it is too bad that it doesn’t come through in the reduced size image.  In my humble opinion the helmet is truly magnificent!

I’ll post some additional images of the crest and shield so that you can get a better idea of the detail.

Travis

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 January 2012 23:06

Remind me what was wrong with the peregrine falcon crest?