My arms design, for comments

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 August 2010 13:13

Update

The design currenlty being discussed on IAAH’s forum is Argent three Annulets interlaced two over one Sable within a Bordure quarterly Azure and Gules.  The escutcheon (Sable charged with a Chevron rompu Or) has been relocated up to the crest under the bobcat’s left paw.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

11 August 2010 13:22

steven harris;78341 wrote:

The design currenlty being discussed on IAAH’s forum is Argent three Annulets interlaced two over one Sable within a Bordure quarterly Azure and Gules.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://a.imageshack.us/img686/4356/stevenharris8b.png
</div>

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

11 August 2010 13:33

Kenneth Mansfield;78342 wrote:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://a.imageshack.us/img686/4356/stevenharris8b.png

</div>

Kenneth, if this is your image, it highlights what to me is the chief problem of the design.  The shading/bevelling along the interior edge of the bordure makes the argent field look as if it is separate from the edge of the shield (or as if the center has been cut out).

As a design, the expanse of white within the bordure makes the thinly drawn rings appear almost inconsequential.  I know it’s Steven’s preference, but to me the design still lacks cohesiveness.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

11 August 2010 13:43

BCT;78343 wrote:

Kenneth, if this is your image, it highlights what to me is the chief problem of the design.  The shading/bevelling along the interior edge of the bordure makes the argent field look as if it is separate from the edge of the shield (or as if the center has been cut out).

As a design, the expanse of white within the bordure makes the thinly drawn rings appear almost inconsequential.  I know it’s Steven’s preference, but to me the design still lacks cohesiveness.

I couldn’t agree more and have stated my preference on the other forum where there are three designs in play. I added the interior bevel on this illustration because to me, without it, it looked like an Argent escutcheon on a quarterly shield as opposed to white shield with a quarterly bordure.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 August 2010 17:43

Do we like 8E, then?  As I look at these three, it is growing on me.  I do see what you’re saying about an overall "cohesiveness" to the design.

http://a.imageshack.us/img205/4381/saharrisv8df.png

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

11 August 2010 19:10

As I said on the other forum, my preference goes thus

8E

8F

8D

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

11 August 2010 20:44

I would agree that 8E is the best of the three.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

11 August 2010 21:00

IMO the only problem with #D—actually IMO a problem with all three—is that the three rings are drawn too thin—which is a matter of artistic license rather than the design itself.  Fatten them up a bit and they should look much better.

#F, again IMO, is weak because the orle (actually a single tressure) is, like the rings, too thin & wimpy—but if you fatten both the rings and the orle, and still leave a bit of white showing outside the orle, it’s likely to get a bit crowded—and would force the artist to make the rings, whether fat or skinny,  smaller & therefore less prominent.

Same concern re: E, though if the white rings & orle are fattened a bit they might—or might not—fare better than their colored counterparts in F.

So—FWIW—I still prefer D with the already-sufficiently-fat border & the black rings fattened up a bit.

(Hope the use of "fat" isn’t a put-off; obviously I’m overdue for dinner!)

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

11 August 2010 22:42

Kenneth Mansfield;78344 wrote:

I added the interior bevel on this illustration because to me, without it, it looked like an Argent escutcheon on a quarterly shield as opposed to white shield with a quarterly bordure.

I think this speaks volumes about the cohesiveness of the design, or lack thereof.

Anyway, my vote would be for Version 8e.  The azure and gules make the shield bold, and the orle nicely ties the design of the rings into the rest of the shield.

I find that sable on argent designs can end up looking insubstantial (perhaps even incomplete) unless there’s some heft to the charge, or an ordinary that anchors the design to the edge of the shield.  To me, the black rings look like a sketch that is meant subsequently to be colored or expanded.

Just my opinion, of course.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

12 August 2010 08:39

Dropping the black as per 8E works well and the width of the annulets matching that of the orle works for me; no need to beef them up.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

12 August 2010 16:17

I agree that 8E is the best of the offerings here. All along, though, I’ve been wondering: with such a handsome, mon-like badge, why aren’t the arms under consideration simply Sable three rings interlaced 2 &1 within an orle Argent?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

12 August 2010 21:28

Second Fr. DB’s suggestion—now why didn’t I think of that?  Just give the white stuff sufficient thickness to show well from a distance or shrunk to a postage stamp.

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

13 August 2010 13:08

I will have to put my vote in for 8E.  Very pleasing design.

But as just previously stated, the first thing that caught my eye in all of this was the badge you are using.  Nice!

It is refreshing to find two "clean" designs.  :cool: