Mr. James Sawicki

snelson

snelson
Total Posts:  464
Joined  03-06-2005

02 August 2010 13:20

From the monthly e-newsletter of the California State Military Museum:

Quote:

"...we have been offered, and have accepted, the professional papers of Mr. James Sawicki.  Mr. Sawicki was a senior designer of heraldic material for The Institute of Heraldry, US Army (TIOH) and amassed a large collection of unit historical data, insignia design drawings, etc   This collection is second only to the library and archives of TIOH when it comes to the heraldry of the US Army…"

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001ClIWeGrG49eU71XILJUIkxU2Qdah1bUaw2vEb7VBRCmVaYTPCjFt8-0nfaalx1FFEWI_JOikTBm6IaRJkCBjB12CkZd1IndDlXhwXvG5mH4=

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

02 August 2010 22:33

Thanks Seb.

I’m happy to hear that such a valuable collection is now in the hands of a very reputable museum, but wonder why Mr. Sawicki’s estate did not deposit the collection with the TIOH itself.  I would have though that the TIOH would welcome such an addition from one of its former staff members.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

03 August 2010 08:17

There are no real provisions for displaying memorabilia like this at TIOH, and being on an army post makes access less than ideal for the general public.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

03 August 2010 11:10

Thanks Joseph.  Two excellent reasons.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

03 August 2010 12:00

please forgive my ignorance, but is there an "army museum" (or any service really) that is more accessible for the public as opposed to a base? i’m not complaining, i think the donation is a great thing. i’m just wondering if such a museum(s) exists.

perhaps TIOH would be willing in the future, in the interest of heraldry in general and in military heraldry specifically, to develop a museum for the public as a means of opening the public’s eyes to heraldry and their work.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

03 August 2010 13:03

The army is planning to build a museum at Ft Belvoir, the same post where TIOH is located, to open in 2015.  There are already a number of collections scattered around at various museums and posts, notably including West Point.

Keep in mind that the papers Mr. Sawicki gave to California are presumably private; any work he did in the line of official duties would belong to the government and is presumably in the files at TIOH, which are open to researchers by appointment.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

03 August 2010 13:11

Ft. Belvoir? AWESOME! that’s where i was born! not sure i should be saying that on a MB, but that’s the army base i was born at and where the Catholic chapel (named after a saint before the rules changed regarding that so now has different name they told me) i was baptized at! how cool is that?!

good that researchers can go there now. still it will be nice if/when the public can go there like at a regular museum. i wonder if TIOH will open up some of its pieces for public viewing at the new museum?

i will start saving money for a trip to Ft. Belvoir in or around 2015 now. smile