Badge Design

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

15 October 2010 19:28

Now that I’ve had my arms settled for awhile now and am quite happy with them, I’d like to adopt a badge of some kind.  I know that it isn’t a vital thing to have and is rather option, like a motto, but I like the idea of it.  However, I’m having a little trouble deciding if I should incorporate part of my arms, such as the wolf or the maple leafs into the badge or not.  I feel like I should put a more personal, unique twist on it, and considered using an open book in some fashion, due to my love of reading and literature.  Another thing I was considering was incorporating something Polish, since my ancestry is heavily Polish, and I neglected to incorporate it into my main arms.  But I’m not really sure, so I’m up for suggestions from the more experienced than I…which is almost everybody here wink.  Just to inspire your creative juices even further, I’ll give you a quick idea of some of my real passions.

Wildlife

Hiking

Literature

Polish History

European History

Music

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

16 October 2010 09:06

A wolf sejant (sitting) howling (singing) with one of it’s forepaws resting on a stack of books.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

16 October 2010 10:24

Not a bad idea, though I may do without the howling.  How could I make it look like an actual stack of books and not a bunch of rectangles on top of eachother?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

16 October 2010 11:53

I have strong feelings about books in heraldry if the badge or arms is not that of an educational body. Over the past one hundred and fifty years, the charge of a book has been very much over used. Let us just accept as fact that we heraldists are a wonky, geeky group of people. All of us could be inclined to have books in our arms but need we re-affirm what everyone already knows about us?

Books are simply an uncreative and lazy choice when one can devise a brilliant badge with a bit of time and effort.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

16 October 2010 16:09

David Pritchard;79814 wrote:

Books are simply an uncreative and lazy choice when one can devise a brilliant badge with a bit of time and effort.

Thanks for the indirect insult wink...it was just a thought.  That being said I do see your point and agree with you.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

16 October 2010 17:54

I’m trying to decide how to reference Poland without directly ripping off a national symbol like the white eagle.  I’d like something creative and original, and not something stamped out and typical.  I considered using a corn poppy.  Or there’s the Polish hussar, but I don’t really think I could use that properly, or in a fashion I would care for.  I’m not really crazy about putting a pierogi on a badge even haha…even though they do taste fantastic.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

16 October 2010 18:29

What about using a lure or other form of feathers/wings (as an allusion to the Polish hussars and potentially to wildlife) charged with something apposite.

James

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

16 October 2010 18:51

If a white eagle type wing was used it could allude to Polish hussars, as well as the Polish eagle…not to mention wildlife.  Something I shall add to my index of idea possibilities wink

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

17 October 2010 02:24

David Pritchard;79814 wrote:

I have strong feelings about books in heraldry if the badge or arms is not that of an educational body. Over the past one hundred and fifty years, the charge of a book has been very much over used. Let us just accept as fact that we heraldists are a wonky, geeky group of people. All of us could be inclined to have books in our arms but need we re-affirm what everyone already knows about us?

ok…first off…what is "wonky"?

next, while i’m comfortable with books, i’m also comfortable with a firearm, knife, fishing pole, or whistle for the many sports i coach.

finally, i have no problem being a geek, though i never was one before. i was a jock and still am really. i’m also an outdoorsman and most geeks that are friends of mine are anything but. however, geeks make more money, so i’m all in for a change of status! how do i sign up for the change? wink

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

17 October 2010 02:26

Joshua, while books are a plenty in heraldry…i say stick with it if you want them in your badge. remember it’s your badge and if anything in heraldry should speak specifically to you it should be a badge. maybe a crest too, but definitely the badge.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

17 October 2010 03:43

AILD;79816 wrote:

Thanks for the indirect insult :D

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

17 October 2010 03:51

AILD;79822 wrote:

If a white eagle type wing was used it could allude to Polish hussars, as well as the Polish eagle…not to mention wildlife.  Something I shall add to my index of idea possibilities wink

Are you trying to allude to the famed Winged Hussars of the 16th century or Polish Cavalry in general? You might want to consult the book by Richard Brzezinski "Polish Winged Hussar 1576-1775" for inspiration.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

17 October 2010 04:13

Donnchadh;79834 wrote:

ok…first off…what is "wonky"?

next, while i’m comfortable with books, i’m also comfortable with a firearm, knife, fishing pole, or whistle for the many sports i coach.

finally, i have no problem being a geek, though i never was one before. i was a jock and still am really. i’m also an outdoorsman and most geeks that are friends of mine are anything but. however, geeks make more money, so i’m all in for a change of status! how do i sign up for the change? wink

Dear Coach,

The words wonky and geeky were not directed toward you specifically. I am sorry if you were offended. Originally I used the word anorak but felt that it had even less chance of being understood and thus replaced it with wonky.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 October 2010 10:31

I’m going to see David’s admirable example and raise him:

Don’t use a Polish national symbol or even a Polish allusion in your badge.  You’re not the King of Poland, the President of Poland, or the general commanding the Polish Army.  Don’t emulate those who think their arms or badge must include a thistle or saltire to show their love for Scotland, a harp or a shamrock for Scotland, an Iron Cross for Germany, a rose for England, a fleur-de-lis for France, ad nauseam.

If one of your ancestors was a Polish hussar, then by all means allude to that heritage.  If not, avoid such references like the plague.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Joined  30-11-2007

17 October 2010 12:10

Though I see your point to a certain extent, it seems fitting to give a nod to my ancestors in some fashion.  After all, without them I wouldn’t be here, and I am proud of my heritage.  Maybe I should base it more off the name Stolarz which translate "Carpenter" in Polish.  I’m sure somebody down the line was a carpenter since so many surnames came about that way haha.  But that’s just a thought in the end…otherwise I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do for a badge.  I don’t really want just a repeat of my arms and or my crest.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 October 2010 15:03

AILD;79842 wrote:

Though I see your point to a certain extent, it seems fitting to give a nod to my ancestors in some fashion. After all, without them I wouldn’t be here, and I am proud of my heritage. Maybe I should base it more off the name Stolarz which translate "Carpenter" in Polish. I’m sure somebody down the line was a carpenter since so many surnames came about that way haha. But that’s just a thought in the end…otherwise I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do for a badge. I don’t really want just a repeat of my arms and or my crest.

Honoring ancestors is a great idea, and I think a reference to carpenter is much better than a reference to "Pole."

Is Stolarz derived from the same root as the Russian "stol" meaning "chair"?  I see that one of the translations of "chair" into Polish is stołek.  That might be another idea, or perhaps something that could be combined with tools.