A heraldically literate teenage boy. Be afraid.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

13 August 2010 13:12

My 17-year-old son has designed a coat of arms for himself. It is heraldically correct as pertains to tinctures, partitions, etc., so I can’t use that as a reason to dismiss it. He is adopted and does not have my surname, so there goes that argument against adopting his own. My only recourse is to convince him it’s too early to make a decision about something that will be his for his entire lifetime. I was able, amazingly enough, to convince him that the motto did not need to be in Latin! My son does respect this community enough, though, that he wanted me to illustrate it and post it here for comment. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

:facepalm:

ARMS: Per fess rayonne Sable and Gules overall a Vampire’s Skull Argent.

CREST: A Wyvern Vert.

MOTTO: Go the distance

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://a.imageshack.us/img3/1203/whitealister.png
</div>

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

13 August 2010 13:59

I have a 19 year old friend who was asking about adopting a coat of arms.  He asked about skulls, and about chocobo (a bird from the Final Fantasy video games).  Must be a teenager thing. grin

Looks more like the arms of a World War II regiment, but pretty good if not morbid.  Though I would suggest just blazoning it as a skull and letting artistic precedence or personal tastes dictate the teeth.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

13 August 2010 14:07

xanderliptak;78405 wrote:

Though I would suggest just blazoning it as a skull and letting artistic precedence or personal tastes dictate the teeth.

I’m picking my battles at this point. It was all I could do to convince him that the skull didn’t have to be illustrated like this….

http://a.imageshack.us/img716/3008/vampiricskull.png

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

13 August 2010 14:15

Well, an easy way to win this would probably be to mention that vampire skulls is very Team Edward of him, and that you will buy him the Twilight series for him now. Perhaps he would be more open to a traditional skull were you to reinforce the Team Edward connection every chance you get.  :-D

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

13 August 2010 14:17

Are you kidding me? Team Edward? His argument will be that even chicks will dig it this way. :p

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

13 August 2010 14:42

Oh my.  While I agree that it is certainly heraldically correct, it’s just, well something you might see tattooed on a biker’s shoulder wink

I would suggest that he adopt these arms unofficially, and not register them until he’s a bit older (and possibly re-worked them a bit…)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

13 August 2010 15:19

werewolves;78412 wrote:

I would suggest that he adopt these arms unofficially, and not register them until he’s a bit older (and possibly re-worked them a bit…)

Trust me. He won’t be doing anything with these except printing them and putting them on his wall.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

13 August 2010 15:47

Its nice that he’s taking an interest, even if his first attempt is a bit weird—at least the artwork is good!

Unless his girlfriend(s) are Goth, this design is likely to be relegated to a closet shelf if & when he pairs off permanently—I can’t imagine a girl he’d be proud to introduce to his mother would treasure the notion of passing this design to her offspring.

But then nowadays, who knows?? smile

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

13 August 2010 16:41

I do not know about that.  Many people simply google their name with either "coat of arms" or "family crest" and blindly take what is given them, even if it includes something that might otherwise seem unusual given the amount of lions and eagles usually seen because of royal and imperial families.

A cockroach, a cricket, a lobster, a nude wild man, severed body parts, eyes gouged with arrows and so on might seem unusual for what many people think is a rather high-class custom.  But they take it anyways, without question, because that is what the powerful Google told them to.  So, I would think if the boy simply said, "This is my family’s coat of arms," it might just end the commotion right then and there.

That seemed rather a long explanation to that thought, sorry for the lengthy statement.

BAllen

BAllen
Total Posts:  31
Joined  23-01-2010

14 August 2010 19:17

While I always like the look of the ‘rayonnĂ©’ partition line, as it seems to be one that’s fallen out of favour, and the design and trinctures are certainly striking enough, I can’t see him using this design when he’s older.

I also don’t think the crest is particuarly unique or interesting. If he insists on the ‘vampire skull’, why not introduce it to the crest, i.e. having the wyvern hold or ‘support’ (is that the right terminology?) it in some way.

Other than that, I think he needs to be congratulated for keeping the design relatively simple and uncluttered, unlike some first designs that are seen.

Antram

Antram
Total Posts:  54
Joined  13-08-2010

14 August 2010 19:36

Bwahahahaha!  Good lord I love it.  As the mom of boys I can tell you this would be considered very cool.  Maybe not so much the "vampire" bit, but certainly the flames and the skull.  Convince him he should save it for a line of clothing and not his personal arms.  Hot Topic would sell out of wallets with this on them as a logo.

On another note, I belong to a spec ops forum and the guys there would find this right up their alley.

ericksenj

ericksenj
Total Posts:  14
Joined  30-05-2010

14 August 2010 19:39

I have so much respect for him for being into heraldry!

smile Its not my cup of tea but it is cool, I agree with Antram that would make a awesome logo of some sorts.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

15 August 2010 12:16
Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

18 August 2010 07:11

I’m a little late, but - I’m not sure anyone would ever see a vampire skull.  Recent lore has them either "dusted" when killed (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) or Exploding in huge mushy shredded flesh pools (True Blood).

I’m not so sure you can have a "vampire skull" without, uh, skinning it while still alive and taking a picture….

<grin>

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

18 August 2010 08:51

Kathy McClurg;78568 wrote:

I’m not so sure you can have a "vampire skull" without, uh, skinning it while still alive and taking a picture….

<grin>

But if you took a picture, would the image show up?

It’s interesting where heraldic traditions draw the line on the mythological: griffins, unicorns, wyverns, etc. - acceptable.  Vampires - not as common.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

18 August 2010 09:37

The Scots have had werewolves in heraldry (not common, but there nonetheless) since at least the start of Lyon Register and IIRC earlier. Pretty much limited to families with variants on the name Dickson and usually with the theme

a werewolf passant and three stars in chief

James