Charge/Device for the Mechanically inclined

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Total Posts:  83
Joined  16-12-2010

05 January 2011 19:57

What types of charge(s)/device(s) would one possibly use for a man who is one of those mechanically inclined persons.  A welder, a fabricator, small engines, automotive techn., and etc.  I realize this list is quite broad yet this man can do it all.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 January 2011 21:30

Looking for old-timey charges to suggest a modern mechanical whiz—

Two that come readily to mind would be a hammer (like a smith’s hammer) and a roundel embattled & pierced of the field (essentially a gear wheel).  Or perhaps two larger than usual flaunches embattled & interlocked (is there a better word?)—suggesting gear wheels—maybe one gold, the other silver, & the field beneath a dark color.

But before getting too far down this path, can you also share a surname and/or perhaps an interesting bit of early family history, maybe of the immigrant ancestor, that is fondly or proudly remembered by present-day descendants?  Either or both of these might (or might not) suggest something a bit less generalized & of interest to a broader range of the extended family who may not all share the mechanical bent.  Your client (for lack of a better work) can then include something mechanical, as a sort of difference, while other siblings or cousins can substitute something more significant to them or their branch of the family.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

05 January 2011 21:40

At first reaction, I had also been thinking a smiths hammer might serve.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

05 January 2011 21:44

Michael F. McCartney;80944 wrote:

Or perhaps two larger than usual flaunches embattled & interlocked (is there a better word?)—suggesting gear wheels

Now that’s a nice idea!  Very unique and clever.

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

06 January 2011 10:15

His surname is BADGEROW it is suspected to be of French origins, possibly BAGEREAU. The "Amorial General De France" shows a Charles BAGEREAU yet since family researchers are unable to get past the American immigrant of 1777, for whom later settled in Canada (with BADGEROW still residing there today), at this time I can not say if there is any connection to Charles.

A lion rampant langaned and guled meets my husband’s personality… he is a Leo, needs to be center of attention, and short tempered… the gear idea does sound very interesting,as well as, the black smith hammer.  Will have to mess with all these ideas to see which one looks the best and the one he likes the best.

Anymore suggestion appreciated.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

06 January 2011 10:37

How about: Sable, semy of roundels embattled Or and pierced of the field, a lion rampant regardant Or armed and langued Gules?

(the lion rampant regardant (looking over it’s shoulder) to help distinguish from the overused lion rampant charge and maybe to symbolise he’s double checking his work or something, hehe)

If that’s too simple, add a bordure Or, three roundels embattled Sable pierced Or in points?

I dunno, just ideas. smile

EDIT: Oops, I spose if this if this turns into an actual solicitation for ground-up design help, then replies should probably end up in the members only section or via PM?  Sorry, i will remember next time, hehe.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

06 January 2011 11:11

Welding?  Putting metal against metal?  Doesn’t that violate the tincture rule?

Bad jokes aside, I very much like Jeffrey’s suggestion of the lion on a field of gearwheels - it’s a nice blend of the traditional and modern.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

06 January 2011 14:52

Michael F. McCartney;80944 wrote:

Or perhaps two larger than usual flaunches embattled & interlocked (is there a better word?)—suggesting gear wheels—maybe one gold, the other silver, & the field beneath a dark color.

Unfortunately as with many good ideas the concept, if not the detail, isn’t new.

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=887

This (sadly nameless) coat of arms is in the Holy Roman Empire section of "L’Armorial de l’Europe". Which dates 1425x66.

James

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

06 January 2011 16:26

Why not just blazon them as cogwheels/gearwheels? I know that it has been done in Sweden…

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

06 January 2011 16:36

Piles are often times associated with engineers.

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

06 January 2011 17:00

I’m all for tradition myself, but heraldry is an ever evolving science or art form if you prefer.  There’s nothing wrong with using a modern day device, either, as a new charge.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

06 January 2011 17:40

Charles Glass;80984 wrote:

I’m all for tradition myself, but heraldry is an ever evolving science or art form if you prefer.  There’s nothing wrong with using a modern day device, either, as a new charge.

I agree, sort of. A new device needs to have some ability to be conventionalised so that people understand what it is without being specific.

You might get away with a phone either in candlestick or more recent (don’t know the name, but 1960s on) form

http://www.clipartguide.com/_thumbs/0808-0808-0414-4207.jpg

since they have strong shapes and were similar in enough places for long enough to have instant recognition. The same would go for all sorts of things not often seen in heraldry, from grand pianos to space rockets.

For me the acid test is whether someone could doodle the thing and have someone else recognise what it was meant to be. If it requires either considerable artistic skill for someone to get what it is meant to be, or for an artist to pore over considerable detail (P51A vs A36A vs F6B) to get it right, then it doesn’t work.

Of course, plenty of heralds and heraldic authorities have ignored this in the past which is why the Herschel baronets bore

Argent on a mount Vert a representation of the forty-feet reflecting telescope with its apparatus proper, on a chief Azure the astronomical symbal of "Uranus" irradiated Or

and there are plenty of supporters like those of Baron Vivian -

Dexter a grey horse caparisoned thereon mounted a hussar of the 7th Regiment of Light Dragoons (Hussars) habited armed and accoutred his sword drawn Proper, Sinister a bay horse guardant caparisoned thereon mounted a lancer of the 12th Regiment of Lancers habited armed and accoutred supporting his lance also Proper

Lord Vivian made things worse by having a demi-hussar in the uniform of the 18th Regiment as his crest and two specific medals on the arms themselves.

So, of course, no one need/will take notice… :(

James

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

06 January 2011 18:13

What really throws a wrench into that Mr. Dempster, is that the artist may be left wondering if the hussars and lancers are in campaign uniform or dress?  And it’s not specified if the hussar pelisse is slung or worn?  raspberry hehe

Seriously though, one thing I think about modern symbols, is they seem less iconic and not as compelling as medieval ones.  A sense of timeless connection with abstract ideas like chivalry and the pageantry of medieval battle (at least to the imagination) and all that is lost I think when obviously modern charges are used.

The only problem I guess with using the roundels embattled and pierced, even though I like them better, is that from a distance, they might look indistinguisable from mullets of 8 or more points.  I don’t know if that’s really an issue though, just trying to picture it.

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

06 January 2011 18:34

JBGarrison;80986 wrote:

The only problem I guess with using the roundels embattled and pierced, even though I like them better, is that from a distance, they might look indistinguisable from mullets of 8 or more points.  I don’t know if that’s really an issue though, just trying to picture it.

I really don’t think so, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Two examples from Sweden:
<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.heraldik.se/bv/b3429.gif

Anderson (från Vena)

http://www.heraldik.se/bv/b3450.gif

Kollberg
</div>

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 January 2011 18:38

In my view, heraldry should preferably stick pretty closely to charges that a medieval knight could conceivably have put on his shield.  I recognize that this is not possible, but in my view it should be the ideal toward which we strive.  Putting thought into the design can result in very inventive use of traditional charges, such as TIOH’s use of a water-bouget Gules to represent a modern blood bag, in the arms of a ship named after a pioneer in modern blood transfusion technology (and gouttes d’or to represent plasma).

So in the case of charges for the mechanically inclined, I would look to medieval machines.  Cog wheels have been around a long time, in milling applications, for example.

And, by the way, to get on my soapbox, let’s please forget the silliness of blazoning a cogwheel or gear as a "roundel embattled pierced" etc.  That’s like calling a lightning bolt "a pile attenuated rompu" or some such silliness.  Kenneth Mansfield got some great advice from one of the English officers of arms on how to blazon his arms; maybe he’ll dig it out and share it with us, but the gist was to call it what it looks like, not some convoluted formula that you think makes it sound more heraldic.

If one is going to put a gear on a shield, call it a gear.

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

06 January 2011 19:35

First I tried the two roundels or flanches and I did not like it.  But the roundels, aka "plate" if silver, pierced is a good idea for a charge.

Here is what I came up with.  My husband also loves to hunt and collects guns so thought the bullseye in the sheild would make it different (alternate metals).  I still like the old and overly used Lion rampant in azure. This actually serves for his personality and his heritage (possibly Bagereau and certainly Bruce).  I placed the Lion "over all".

For his crest… I again refer back to some his surnames in his heritage, his grandmother born Higginbotham.  Thus the two arms like that of the Higgenbotham crest… one holding a welding hammer the other an axe.  He loves his chainsaws… but that item would not fit heraldry to much wink