Charge/Device for the Mechanically inclined

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Total Posts:  83
Joined  16-12-2010

06 January 2011 19:49

Okay do not fight…. I for one like the "traditional - old" heraldric charges and such it what drew me to this in the first place.  Of course, as time changes with more inventions and occupations new charges are introduced.  Yet, if an old charge or etc. can provide why use something "new".

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

06 January 2011 21:35

That’s a loud design. smile

I’d try something like on a pile X a gear Y.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

06 January 2011 21:46

Is the Lion Rampant alluding to Robert the Bruce by chance?

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

06 January 2011 22:37

JBGarrison;80996 wrote:

Is the Lion Rampant alluding to Robert the Bruce by chance?

THe azure Lion rampant is yes apart of Robert De Brus arms, it then is canton in other Bruce arms.  Robert De Brus has no living male heirs, the line ran out of males many many many years ago.

My husband’s middle name by the way is Bruce smile

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

06 January 2011 22:46

Just to throw this out… I can not read French, yet this is the arms of Charles Bagereau.  Black or blue feild with 3 ?lozenge? in the back argent with a Lion rampant gold (metal on metal)? or proper? overall.

http://www.custom-gifts-and-arts.com/heraldry/charles_bagereau_coa.jpg

PS: This should of been put in the members area, but I think people are interested in how it comes together…. using proper terms to describe the ordinaries and charges then seeing a visual of them helps them learn IMO.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 January 2011 23:06

Discussing the proper blazon of historic examples is, of course, perfectly fine here. Further development of a coat of arms for your husband ... that needs to get moved to a new thread in the members’ section.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 January 2011 23:46

kkb-ia;80998 wrote:

Just to throw this out… I can not read French, yet this is the arms of Charles Bagereau. Black or blue feild with 3 ?lozenge? in the back argent with a Lion rampant gold (metal on metal)? or proper? overall.

http://www.custom-gifts-and-arts.com/heraldry/charles_bagereau_coa.jpg

The text says "Charles Bagereau, Esquire, Counsellor to the King, Receiver of Taille and Octrois [two types of pre-Revolutionary Taxes] of the town and financial district of Dreux.

The blazon would be Azure three lozenges bendwise in bend Argent over all a lion rampant Or.  There is no tincture violation; all the metal charges are on the colored field.  The fact that they overlap is not a problem.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

07 January 2011 08:50

Why not canting arms with a badger as charge<strike>?</strike>

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

07 January 2011 09:14

david;81008 wrote:

Why not canting arms with a badger as charge<strike>?</strike>

THanks David for this suggestion, this would be a pun type of thing, like using a Mill for Miller.  A badger in a row boat… badgerow…lol.  Or a Badge with Boat Ores.

I want this to be a bit more "personal" over using apparent charges to demostrate the surname. BUT if I were creating arms for his 5th time removed grandfather… A Badger erased langued with some Fluer-di-lis charges or something that represents Canada would be a good starting point. Then adding charges to my husbands for indifference and his personal touch.

His immigrant Badgerow/Bagereau forefather came to America via French ship that came to help the colonies fight off the British (England).  This forefather thus was granted land in New York for his service yet soon after migrated to Ontario, Canada.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 January 2011 21:53

A couple of random thoughts—

I don’t think that two gear wheels issuing from the flanks (showing spokes & all) is sufficiently similar to two flaunches embattled etc) to create a conflict—any more than a roundel, plain or pierced, vs. a wheel—but if so, a change in color (e.g. the flaunches one gold, one silver, on a blue field) should be more than sufficient difference.

Rather than the lion from the French arms, why not (as I think someone else suggested) switch to a badger?  That’s sufficient cant—no real need to go overboard with a boat or oars, though a badger with an oar might make a decent crest—& the switch is certainly sufficient to avoid any perceived infringement.

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

11 January 2011 09:06

I am going to move or start a new discussion for this in the members area.  The none members can see from this thread that there is alot of thought process to creating an arms to meet personal, indifference, and at the same time keep it heraldric (both by form and function).

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 January 2011 10:09

kkb-ia;81072 wrote:

...there is alot of thought process to creating an arms to meet personal, indifference, and at the same time keep it heraldric (both by form and function).

I keep letting this go but can’t stand it any more.  The term is difference/differencing, meaning to make the arms different from other similar arms, typically those of people who are related.

Differencing doesn’t come into the process of designing these arms or Kelly’s own arms; neither of the designs is derived from some pre-existing coat.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

11 January 2011 10:20

So much for indifference. :rofl:

kkb-ia

kkb-ia
Joined  16-12-2010

11 January 2011 19:24

I meant BE DIFFERENT :confused:... not a writting scholar just an idiot behind a keyboard trying to get across what I want to say.  You know I have a high IQ I just do not like to show it. :aiee:

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 January 2011 19:50

But speaking of differencing:

If we start with the French arms of Bagereau, Azure three lozenges in bend Argent, over all a lion rampant Or,

And change the gold lion to a gold badger (I’d suggest salient) for the pun on the name;

And change the lozenges to cogwheels for the mechanical reference;

You get Azure three cogwheels in bend Argent, over all a badger salient Or.

This would be a differenced version of the arms of Bagereau, with the two differences that many heraldists consider necessary to distinguish "strangers in blood" (people who aren’t known to be related, like your husband and Charles Bagereau).  If you wanted to, you could also fiddle with the colors if you don’t like blue, silver, and gold (to which I myself am partial, as you can see from my own arms).