as a knight, i’ve gotta give a plug/shout out! smile

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=857

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

11 October 2010 22:26

Denny,

If you are going to happy Columbus day everyone, please provide a scan of his arms.  wink

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 October 2010 01:37

i don’t have one of his arms Edward. perhaps if you or others who have access to it will do so.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 October 2010 10:29

Columbus’s arms as granted by letters patent in 1493 were el castillo de color dorado en campo verde en el cuarto del escudo de vuestras armas en lo alto a la mano derecha; y en el otro cuarto alto a la mano izquierda un leon purpura en campo blanco rampando de verde, y en el otro cuarto baxo a la mano derecha unas islas doradas en ondas azules; y en el otro cuarto bajo a la mano isquierda las armas vuestras que soliades tener.

http://hubert-herald.nl/DOMINDOC_bestanden/image004.jpg

The lion in the second quarter is blazoned as Purpure, which in Spanish heraldry is often emblazoned as a shade of pink.  Rampando evidently means "langued"—a lion rampant Purpure langued Vert.

As later altered by him (mainly to assert his claim to the title of Admiral of the Ocean Sea) in his Book of Privileges (1502):

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/1492/images/columbus.jpg

I think we’ve gone through all this at least twice in previous years.

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

12 October 2010 10:47

Thanks Joe!  Your post saves me from revealing my technical incompetence to Denny and the rest of the forum…  Ooopppsss, I say too much.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 October 2010 12:45

Joe, has there been any thought, discussion on possibly expanding the AHS work on American heraldry to include historical figures who while not immediately/directly associated with this nation have at least a serious historical connection to it, such as people like Christopher Columbus? If not it might be a fun project and certainly one I’d like to see if it’s possible—I know you are all busy like me so I understand if it’s not possible…just checkin’.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

12 October 2010 16:20

I thought at one time a series showing the arms of European explorers of what would eventually be the United States would be a nice addition. Looking into it, I came up with arms for Columbus, Cook, Coronado, Drake, de Leon, and Raleigh.

But I couldn’t find any for de Anza, Bering, Cabeza de Vaca, Cabrillo, Chirikov, Hudson, Joliet, Kino, de LaSalle, Marquette, Serra, de Soto, Vancouver, or da Verrazzano.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 October 2010 18:36

i’m glad i’m not the only one who thought of it. maybe someone can help with those names then. i’d like to see it myself. smile

eploy

eploy
Joined  30-03-2007

13 October 2010 00:39

arriano;79719 wrote:

I thought at one time a series showing the arms of European explorers of what would eventually be the United States would be a nice addition. Looking into it, I came up with arms for .... de Leon ....

Two other Spanish explorers that come to mind include Pedro de ALVARADO y MESIA, and Francisco Vasquez de CORONADO.  You can see a description of their arms together with those of de Leon in the paper "The Heraldry of Some Conquistadores of New Spain" by John J. Kennedy, PhD.  See:  http://pages.infinit.net/cerame/heraldicamerica/etudes/conquistadores.htm.  Might be a good starting point for a talented author.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

13 October 2010 01:27

excellent link. very cool.

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

13 October 2010 16:22

eploy;79731 wrote:

Two other Spanish explorers that come to mind include Pedro de ALVARADO y MESIA, and Francisco Vasquez de CORONADO.  You can see a description of their arms together with those of de Leon in the paper "The Heraldry of Some Conquistadores of New Spain" by John J. Kennedy, PhD.  See:  http://pages.infinit.net/cerame/heraldicamerica/etudes/conquistadores.htm.  Might be a good starting point for a talented author.

Here’s a painting of Alvarado featuring his coat of arms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_de_Alvarado

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

13 October 2010 16:32

arriano;79746 wrote:

Here’s a painting of Alvarado featuring his coat of arms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_de_Alvarado

On second thought, the link to HeraldicAmerica lists Pedro de Alvarado y Mesia, and the Wikipedia article is for Pedro de Alvarado y Contreras. Much of the biliographic information on the two men is the same. But the HeraldicAmerica article states he joined Coronado and died on an expedition in what is now the southwest U.S. The Wikipedia article however states that he died in Guadalajara and makes no mention of Coronado. Something is amiss here. Sounds like they were two different men, and that the HeraldicAmerica article included info from the wrong guy.

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

09 October 2018 23:30

sdfd
cc20181010
birkenstocks
hermes birkin
timberland boots
pandora charms
ugg australia