Knight - The Medieval Warrior’s (Unofficial) Manua

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

18 October 2010 09:14

Dear Friends,

I just got the book, Knight:  The Medieval Warrior’s (Unofficial) Manual by Michael Prestwich.  The publisher is Thames & Hudson and the copyright date is 2010.  The book is 208 pages from cover to cover.

The book gives the nuts and bolts about becoming a successful knight in the later Middle Ages.  Borrowing from the back cover, topics discussed include:

<div class=“bbcode_indent” >

<div class=“bbcode_indent” >

<ul class=“bbcode_list”>
<li>How to Go Through the Ceremony of Knighthood</li>
<li>What Armour and Weapons to Buy</li>
<li>Where You Should go on Crusade</li>
<li>How To Make a Fortune From War</li>
<li>Which Order of Chivalry to Join</li>
<li>Etc.</li>
</ul>

</div>

</div>

It’s a neat read.  Of course there is some accurate talk on coat of arms, but it is short.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

18 October 2010 11:16

Sounds like it may be interesting.  I’m always curious about these kind of books, but always afraid I’ll end up with something dumbed down, and inaccurate due to wanting to portray the romantic side of everything history.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

18 October 2010 11:30

AILD;79862 wrote:

Sounds like it may be interesting.  I’m always curious about these kind of books, but always afraid I’ll end up with something dumbed down, and inaccurate due to wanting to portray the romantic side of everything history.

Thames & Hudson is usually a fairly reliable publisher and Michael Prestwich is the recently retired head of the Department of History at Durham and a serious historian of the Edwards (I have some of his academic stuff). I don’t think its going to be overly romantic, though not academically heavy either.

James

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

18 October 2010 12:21

The kids in my seventh grade history class loved the Roman legionary’s guide!

Antram

Antram
Total Posts:  54
Joined  13-08-2010

18 October 2010 13:41

It sounds like a fairly good read. I’m going to pick up a copy at the bookstore today.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

18 October 2010 22:21

James Dempster;79863 wrote:

Thames & Hudson is usually a fairly reliable publisher and Michael Prestwich is the recently retired head of the Department of History at Durham and a serious historian of the Edwards (I have some of his academic stuff). I don’t think its going to be overly romantic, though not academically heavy either.

James

You’re right on all accounts.

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

18 October 2010 22:35

Well you guys have convinced me…I’ll probably pick up a copy when I get the chance.  I’m not happy to see Amazon has kicked up their super saver shipping cost to be around $40…not happy at all since now I don’t even have a Borders or Barnes & Noble within 60 miles of me.