News on Heraldic Registration in Belgium

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 November 2011 09:47

Members may be interested in this exchange between Derek Howard and me on rec.heraldry relaying news (fairly old news, but news to me) on official heraldic registration in Belgium:

From me:

Quote:

According to the website of the "Association Royale Office Généalogique et Héraldique de Belgique," or OGHB (<

http://oghb.be/heraldique-en-belgique>), it was announced a year ago today in the Moniteur Belge that the Francophone Community government had issued a decree establishing an official heraldic registry for existing and newly adopted non-noble arms, parallel with that established in 1998 by the Flemish Community. Both offer services only to Belgian citizens. The OGHB has therefore terminated its own heraldic registration service, if I’m deciphering the French of the website correctly.

From Derek:

Quote:

This is correct. There was an implementing decision (arrêté) of the French Community Government, on 14 October 2010, on the application of their decree of 12 May 2004 relating to the registration of arms of physical persons and family associations in the French Community. This was published 23 Nov 2010.

Registration is through the Community’s Heraldic and Vexillology Council. The 2010 decision lays down the registration procedures. It applies to ancient arms (defined as those under the Ancien Régime) and to new designs. For ancient arms there has to be proof shown of the right to bear the arms. After ensuring they have all the necessary papers, the Government administration passes the request to the H&V Council who then have 3 months to issue an opinion on the registration, the Government then has a further 3 months to authorise or refuse the registration.

There is a procedure laid down with detailed deadlines for the modification, abrogation or cancellation of the registration which may be started by the Minister, Council, anyone affected by the registration or the beneficiary.

The armorial bearings are to be emblazoned in colour by an heraldic expert named in the registration authorisation. Registrations will be published in the Moniteur belge mentioning: the number and date of the registration; the identity of the beneficiaries; the blason, including any external ornaments. These latter are defined as helm, mantelling, wreath, crest and motto, however excluding those reserved for the nobility of the Kingdom (this will exclude for instance, golden helms of the sovereign, crowns, coronets and supporters with or without banners, and presumably compartments). This is a major change for most of the French community

as it brings them into line with the Flemish registrations. Up to now the OGHB has registered only shields without any external ornaments, this being in the tradition for non-noble arms stemming back to heraldic legislation and jurisprudence on the privileges of the nobility in the 17th century, affecting those parts of Belgium formerly part of the Spanish Netherlands. The publication details are entered in the register. No publications have yet been made in the Moniteur belge, I would anticipate they would be published annually in the administratively quiet summer months as with Flemish registrations.

Copies and extracts from the register, certified by the administration may be requested by the beneficiaries or their representatives and by anyone having a scientific cause (ie serious student). Copies cost 50 euros.

The fees are 500 euros per request for registration or modification or 150 euros for those who had arms registered with a recognised genealogical or heraldic society. The OGHB has been recognised for this purpose, so the reduced rate applies to the approximately 400 arms on the society’s register. The society’s register is now to be closed (announced in the latest edition of their journal).

I’ve done a brief update to our AHS page on foreign armorial registrations, although none of this is likely to pertain to many American users of arms since the registrations are limited to Belgian citizens.

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

24 November 2011 11:01

Joseph McMillan;90151 wrote:

Members may be interested in this exchange between Derek Howard and me on rec.heraldry relaying news (fairly old news, but news to me) on official heraldic registration in Belgium

Indeed, I don’t think it has been reported outside Belgium and barely here either. I have intended to write a serious article on modern Belgian heraldry for some time but when this was news last year life was too hectic for me. Hopefully one of these days I shall complete something.
Quote:

I’ve done a brief update to our AHS page on foreign armorial registrations, although none of this is likely to pertain to many American users of arms since the registrations are limited to Belgian citizens.

Actually it may apply to non-Belgians. I have not yet tested it but public bodies in the EU are not allowed to discriminate on grounds of nationality under EU law. The Francophone Community legislation requires the commune to provide a certificate of residence but there is no statement about nationality. As Mons and Brussels are in the zone covered by the Francophone Community government (emphasised by the very recent change of its ‘marque’ to the Wallonia-Brussels Federation), there are plenty of US nationals at SHAPE and NATO as well as business and diplomatic staff here. Everyone should have a national residence permit/ID card of some description. I am a UK citizen but, having lived in Brussels since 1992, I hold a French language Belgian ID card from the commune, so would probably qualify. If I can find the resources I may well apply now that it is possible to do so to both Flemish and Francophone authorities without discrimination.

I should just add that contact details for the new Heraldic Service of the Ministry of Culture of the French Community Government can be found at: http://www.culture.be/index.php?id=2174

Derek Howard