Globe designs arms for Shakespeare’s plays

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

18 December 2010 21:18

I ran across this blog, and apparently the Globe Theatre had approached a man to designs arms for each of the plays shown at the theatre, as well as arms specific to the 2010 season. Yes, arms for the 2010 season and not for use in another season. The blog states these arms were used in national advertisements, which I take to mean either England or the entire U.K., so perhaps our British friends may have seen them?

The arms are rather poor. The designs are cliche and show a lack of heraldic understanding. For instance, the mantling issues out of the crest in one image and not from the torse, and in another design it is stated that a major component of the design was the shape of the shield. Be sure to skip to the bottom, the images are repeated, but larger and easier to see.

http://mrahayes.blogspot.com/2010/02/shakespeares-kings-rogues.html

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

19 December 2010 11:59

Alexander, you are right, imo.  These designs incorporate heraldic elements but seem to have been designed mostly as symbolic "logos" for the plays.

Shield shapes appear to have been chosen mostly to suit each composition.

I do like the black and white graphic qualities.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

19 December 2010 21:36

The Globe should write the College of Arms and seek permission to display Shakespeare’s arms if they wish to have a bit of heraldry and history added to the buidling. The Globe’s owners went to great lengths to build an exact replica, I am sure the College would oblige if asked.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

28 December 2010 16:45

xanderliptak;80643 wrote:

The Globe should write the College of Arms and seek permission to display Shakespeare’s arms if they wish to have a bit of heraldry and history added to the buidling. The Globe’s owners went to great lengths to build an exact replica, I am sure the College would oblige if asked.

I’m sorry, perhaps I don’t understand the comment. If permission is needed for the theatre to display Shakespeare’s arms, what is the source of authority for the College of Arms to grant such permission?

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

28 December 2010 19:29

That’s brings about an interesting question: If there are no legal heirs to a coat of arms granted by the College, does the College then gain the rights to them? It’s my understanding that WS has no living descendants, male or female. Perhaps descendants of his sister can claim the arms, but ....

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

28 December 2010 20:20

If I recall correctly, the College of Arms and The Duke of Norfolk were given the power to grant and regulate heraldic ornaments in England, so the College can (and has) granted the use of arms for people and institutions that otherwise had no right to them. I recall the James Bond films requested permission to use a nobleman’s arms in a film, though the end result was that the film created a new coat based on elements of the actual arms. But it isn’t that the College inherits or gains the rights to the arms, so much as a court that is able to dictate and lord over its jurisdiction, it has final say on heraldic matters.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 December 2010 17:40

Whatever powers the Earl Marshal and College may possess, they certainly don’t include that of licensing one person to display another person’s arms.

If there was ever any doubt, the decision in the Court of Chivalry in the 1954 Manchester case strongly implies that displaying someone else’s arms is not illegal in England as long as you don’t try to pass them off as your own.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

29 December 2010 21:57

It seems I was recalling wrong, it says that Mr. Fleming only asked for assistance, not permission to use the historical escutcheon for Bond.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PaoZBSarfic/SN_MVXQgmKI/AAAAAAAABIg/YcxmGaX7eEM/s1600-h/bond_arms.gif