Mullet of Eight Points Variations

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

01 January 2011 09:56

That illustrates my point perfectly Mr. McMillan, thankyou. smile

So, what I am seeking is a solution such that 9 out of 10 artists will draw the intended star (compass rose of eight points, diagonal rays being shorter in length) without breeching good heraldic practices.

Does "Compass rose of eight points" violate anyone’s sensibilities?  Would anyone here emblazon that in any other way than what I’m intending if they encountered it in the wild?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

01 January 2011 09:59

Arthur Radburn;80853 wrote:

To try and achieve the result you’re looking for, I think you’d need to word the blazon very prescriptively, e.g. as "an eight-pointed star the cardinal points longer than the diagonals".  But, even so, it’d still be up to each individual artist to decide on the relative lengths of the points.

Thankyou Mr. Radburn, that is what I suspected.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

01 January 2011 20:08

Personally, if it is to be a ‘compass rose’ I would add a fleur de lys to the upper ray.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Jeff Poole

Jeff Poole
Total Posts:  138
Joined  07-03-2009

02 January 2011 04:37

Arthur Radburn;80853 wrote:

To try and achieve the result you’re looking for, I think you’d need to word the blazon very prescriptively, e.g. as "an eight-pointed star the cardinal points longer than the diagonals".  But, even so, it’d still be up to each individual artist to decide on the relative lengths of the points.

I think Arthur has it right, his blazon describes the charge correctly, leaves wriggle room for the artist, and doesn’t require second guessing what might or might not happen as an interpretation.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

02 January 2011 08:44

Dear Jeffery,

How about following?

A star of eight rays with those in cross extended (tincture)

This blazon would (as with most blazons) give you a little latitude in interpretation when drawing your arms or commissioning an heraldic artist to do so.

With every good wish

John

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

02 January 2011 10:03

Iain Boyd;80860 wrote:

Personally, if it is to be a ‘compass rose’ I would add a fleur de lys to the upper ray.

Mr. Boyd, works rendered by the Institute of Heraldry use the "compass rose" as a charge often, however I have not yet once come across an example where a fleur-de-lis has been added to the charge while blazoning the charge simply as "compass rose."  Have you previously added a fleur-de-lis embellishment when emblazoning a compass rose based on a charge blazoning of simply "compass rose."  This would be an interesting precedant worth looking at for example if you have indeed done this. smile

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

02 January 2011 10:11

Thank you John, Jeff and Mr. Radburn for your recommendations. In the case of this charge I agree with using descriptive blazoning to ensure that emblazons come out relatively near to what is intended.

I think after all, the discovery has been made that there is no simple blazon which will guarantee a cookie cutter rendition.

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread so far as I would be unable to proceed confidently without all of your input.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

02 January 2011 12:12

I agree. Some compass roses have the cardinal points longer than the secondary ones, but it is best to specify the differences rather than risk the artist making a decision to paint them of even length.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

03 January 2011 09:19

Jeffrey,

I have just posted a further response within the Heraldic Design in the Members Area.

John

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

03 January 2011 12:59

JBGarrison;80866 wrote:

I think after all, the discovery has been made that there is no simple blazon which will guarantee a cookie cutter rendition.

I’d say that pretty much sums it up.  A compass rose is not a ‘traditional’ heraldic charge and, as yet, no definitive stylised version of one has emerged.

For another example, how about the arms of the CIA :

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=DesignAward.CIA

The arms of the CIA’s South African equivalent, the SA Secret Service, also include a compass rose.  It has a fleur de lis as a pointer, and the blazon stipulates "the pointer flory".  The rose itself has 16 points, namely 8 long and 8 short.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

03 January 2011 15:39

For American usage, "a compass rose of eithght points" (following the CIA blazon) would seem quite appropriate—i.e. not mandatory but reasonably clear in this context.

Alternatively, for a description that IMO is even closer to what I think you want, how about "a star of Bethlehem"?  Everyone who has sent or received a Christmas card will immediately know exactly what you have in mind.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

05 January 2011 13:36

Mister McCartney, I like "Star of Bethlehem."

John J. Tunesi of Liongam also offered the term "Nova" in another thread, which I decided to try and use (for better or for worse, hehe).

EDIT: After doing some searching, I’ve encountered a regular star of five points referred to as a Star of Bethlehem. :(

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 January 2011 21:51

"After doing some searching, I’ve encountered a regular star of five points referred to as a Star of Bethlehem."

Ratz…hmmm…how about a star of Bethlehem of eight points?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

05 January 2011 22:05

Michael F. McCartney;80949 wrote:

"After doing some searching, I’ve encountered a regular star of five points referred to as a Star of Bethlehem."

Ratz…hmmm…how about a star of Bethlehem of eight points?

The star of Bethlehem in question was of equal length rays, so the problem of specifying lengthened rays turns up again, drats and curses! Haven’t those people seen a christmas card? :aiee: