Tincture Choice

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 March 2011 01:26

JBGarrison;81613 wrote:

I also think this, Mr. McMillan’s solution, is brilliant.

i agree. this is a great fix. and, i might add, seeing it makes me think of the Iberian-Catholic art of a friend of mine on FB who makes use of the wonderful Hispano-Arabic reds and whites within and around his art. to me…this reminds me of a stained galss window that he created for a parish priest. i rather like it.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 March 2011 01:30

Joseph McMillan;81592 wrote:

How about making the star bigger and putting the f-d-l on it on a disk or oval? Like this:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=824&d=1299200426

Joe, i’ve appreciated many of your works for us. however, this is my absolute favorite piece of yours. it is, perfect, in many ways—at least for me. truly awesome. as i said above this reminds me of some excellent Hispano-Catholic art of a friend of mine that i love.

i’m wondering now if i can talk to you about commissioning you to do my arms in a Hispano foprmula, or flavor if you will, that i just could not pull off when i tried to do it before. let me know via PM either way and if you would what you’d charge.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

06 March 2011 10:08

Donnchadh;81628 wrote:

Joe, i’ve appreciated many of your works for us. however, this is my absolute favorite piece of yours. it is, perfect, in many ways—at least for me. truly awesome. as i said above this reminds me of some excellent Hispano-Catholic art of a friend of mine that i love.

i’m wondering now if i can talk to you about commissioning you to do my arms in a Hispano foprmula, or flavor if you will, that i just could not pull off when i tried to do it before. let me know via PM either way and if you would what you’d charge.

Denny, I’m flattered, but this isn’t my work.  All I did was clip out and enlarge the star from Daniel Gill’s original drawing, blot out the fleurs-de-lis, and stick a piece of clip-art in the center.  If you like the art work, of the arms as a whole, you need to contact Daniel.

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

06 March 2011 15:03

Hmm, usually I suggest simplifying arms - but in this case the client is reluctant to do so. I expect that there is some arcane symbolism.

I would in that case suggest that the fleur de lys remain blue and gold. Using blue and white doesn’t sufficiently simplify the design and he can go for riotous colour…

I have no diofficulty with complex geometric designs. In fact I rather like them. I do think that a Marianj reference already can be read into the design without the fleur de lys.