Kate middleton’s coat of arms!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 April 2011 09:55

i agree with Andy that these are rather boring, uninspired arms. i also agree with him that one would think that the COA could do a better job all the way around for a future Queen of England.

Hugh Brady

Hugh Brady
Total Posts:  989
Joined  16-08-2005

25 April 2011 11:45

Let me second the comments about the design of the arm’s themselves. Both of the bride’s parents were in the aviation industry before they started their own business, as was her paternal grandfather—yet no reference of that in the arms. That same grandfather was an RAF trainer in Canada during World War II—and since her husband will likely be King of Canada some day, a reference to that might have been nice if it could be done without a lucky charms effect. It looks like several of her paternal great-grandfathers were solictors. If a quick scan is correct, the Middleton’s are from Yorkshire and are a descendant from Edward III in a Yorkist line—yet nothing. All this from a quick google search, and I’m sure the possibilities are endless.

And this business about colors reflecting the colors of the Union Flag? How many times have we counseled people that you shouldn’t choose the "national" colors for your arms simply because you live in that country?

Frankly, very poor work by the professionals and it just goes to show that money doesn’t buy taste.

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

25 April 2011 12:02

On first blush, the arms are innoffensive enough and will harmonize well with her future husband’s current and future coat. The references in the arms are likely the product of consultation between the family and the heralds with the family likely suggesting what was important for them to reference - and maybe the ancestors did not make their cut… The desire to reference three children is an understandable motive for parents but heraldically it is unfortunate. Some generations from now little Johnny Middleton will ask what do the three oak sprigs stand for and his dad will say that they stand for the very important fact that his g-g-g-g-granddad who also inherited a party supply business had two sisters one of whom married well and one of whom didn’t.

Looking at the arms a bit longer I think that the arms, I hope inadvertently, may make some reference to the family’s newness and their social advance.

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

25 April 2011 13:50

George Lucki;82168 wrote:

On first blush, the arms are inoffensive enough and will harmonize well with her future husband’s current and future coat.

Perhaps this was the most important consideration.  The arms have been designed so that the azure half rather than the gules, will be against Prince William’s arms in the marital coat - no colour bleeding into his azure 3rd quarter or his gules 4th quarter, and the gold chevron is sufficiently far down not to bleed significantly into his 2nd quarter.

The arms granted to Ms Rhys-Jones on her marriage to Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex some years ago show a similar careful arrangement of tinctures (also gules and azure with gold charges) so that they stand out when marshalled with the Earl’s.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

25 April 2011 15:05

Not inspired, but generally inoffensive—some might be tempted to ask if that refers to heraldry or religion, but I’m certainly too well mannered to say anything so gauche (if that’s how it’s spelled).

Perhaps a more charitable characterization might be "neither inspired nor offensive; but beautifully drawn, on time and on budget."

George Lucki

George Lucki
Joined  21-11-2004

25 April 2011 15:42

At a price of L4400 I would be surprised to see cost overruns… smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

25 April 2011 21:23

George wrote: "At a price of L4400 I would be surprised to see cost overruns… "

Hmmm…apparently the Canadians are a bit more careful with their civil & defense expenditures than others we could name…

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

26 April 2011 01:04

Well, I rather like them. However, I am fond of oak….

I think they go quite well alongside Prince William’s.

Stephen J F Plowman

Stephen J F Plowman
Total Posts:  35
Joined  26-06-2007

27 April 2011 09:48

Kathy McClurg;82112 wrote:

The arms were granted to her father which she and her sister are entitled to use as a courtesy.  I haven’t yet seen her father’s achievement (assuming crest is there somewhere).  Even the College of arms page only show’s Kate’s.  That’s kind of disturbing - guess they are playing a bit to the press as well.

I’ve had a stab at putting forward a few heraldic options for the Middleton family:

Middleton Armorial Tree

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

28 April 2011 09:17

My own beloved NPR perpetuated bad information regarding "how to get a coat of arms" on Morning Edition today. I’d call and leave a message on their comment line, but my rant would take more time than their misinformed segment.

EDIT: Just noticed that Fr. Guy posted a comment on the article online. Good on ya, Guy!

George Lucki

George Lucki
Joined  21-11-2004

28 April 2011 11:11

Not a bad story about how to get an English coatof arms. There is also a link from a comment by Pearl Duncan, an African American from Tribeca on her grant from the Lord Lyon. I thought that was neat (Of course I could quibble with NPR and Ms. Duncan but it is good to get the information out about arms. Guy’s comment was excellent about current US practice. Maybe someone can post a link to AHS.)

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

28 April 2011 16:10

Kenneth Mansfield;82236 wrote:

My own beloved NPR perpetuated bad information regarding "how to get a coat of arms" on Morning Edition today. I’d call and leave a message on their comment line, but my rant would take more time than their misinformed segment.

EDIT: Just noticed that Fr. Guy posted a comment on the article online. Good on ya, Guy!

I’m on it…

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

29 April 2011 03:09

They will be known as the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7489/princewilliamy.jpg

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

29 April 2011 09:47

Not often I tip my cap to wikipedia, but I think they’re done a solid job of presenting the heraldry.  A lot of people browsing the entry will get a solid understanding of the heraldry associated with the marriage.

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

30 April 2011 20:49

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t11/Kelisli/RoyalWeddingCake01.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t11/Kelisli/RoyalWeddineCake00.jpg

Source: British Monarchy site on flickr.

Even the royal wedding cake had heraldic emblems/badges.  The cake, in addition to having the royal badges of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales (top photo), it nicely combines the royal rose of England with the Middletons’ spring of Oak with acorns!  Very nice touch.