Book Shop in Alfred, Maine

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

24 April 2011 22:09

Every time I find a store full of musty books I’m hopeful of stumbling upon a good heraldry book. For years I was unsuccessful. I was on the road for work the other day and stopped at a book shop in Alfred, Maine called "DeWolf and Wood." I asked the shopkeeper if there was any chance he had books on heraldry and if there was any further chance he knew where they were in the shop as in most antique book stores I’ve been to the tomes are piled up in no order what so ever.

To my surprise the shopkeeper told me they had just acquired a large collection of books from the sale of one of the oldest used book stores on the east coast and had a few on heraldry in their genealogy section. I picked up a very large, hard copy of A C Fox-Davies’ "A Complete Guide to Heraldry" revised by J. P. Brooke-Little (1969) with its original box cover; "The Manual of Heraldry" by Francis J. Grant, W.S. (Lord Lyon King of Arms) (1929) - and of the three copies they had, I got the only one with its original paper book cover; and "A Roll of Arms" pamphlet published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society (1928). The store had over twenty copies of NEHGS’s roll of arms. I purchased all three books for only $17.

I have not heard of Grant’s "Manual" and I’m not sure about this edition of Fox-Davies’ revised by Brooke-Little. Any reviews? Either way, it’s nice to have them too make my book shelf devoted to heraldry look fatter and smell more musty. There were a couple of other books at the shop, but I don’t remember the titles - so if you ever find yourself in Southern, Maine, check out DeWolf and Wood book shop.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

25 April 2011 01:55

You must take pictures of your new loot and post here! smile