How to Get Started?

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

26 April 2011 13:16

Hello everyone.  I’m new here and this is my first post on the forums so I apologize if I make any mistakes or am posting in the wrong area.

I have been interested in heraldry for as long as I can remember and have always wanted to create my own coat of arms.  I have been putting together ideas in my head over the years and think I finally have a concept that will work for me.  However, I have no artistic talent to actually draw something up.  So I was just wondering how I can get started in creating my design.  I noticed on the US Heraldry site (I hope I can say that here) that they have design services for a fee so I was thinking about doing that.  Is that recommended?  Are there other avenues I can explore to begin?  I’m looking forward to the day that I can proudly display my arms so any information would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

26 April 2011 14:33

Welcome,

If you become a member of the AHS, start a thread in the members only area and try to descirbe your idea.  There are many people who can help you refine ideas.  And if you are really interested in heraldry - This is a great group of folks to hang out with online.

Of the design assistance folks I know (and this is in no way an endorsement of anyone).

The AHS (us) will help members in the members area.  There is no guarantee of artwork, but several folks have made rough/quick drafts as thoughts were discussed.

The USHR, you’ve found.

Also look up the American College of Heraldry (ACH) and the

International Association of Ametuer Heralds (IAAH).

I would strongly recommend you work with someone knowledgeable - if you intend the arms as yours and your heirs.  take your time, sketch out some ideas (I can draw either) - my first try was taking little pieces of pictures, turning them into elements on a shield all inside powerpoint…  Then I got help. (thank goodness no one here has seen the "originals" -  ACK!

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

26 April 2011 21:49

I would definitely suggest becoming a member of AHS (It really isn’t expensive at $20 a year either), and then we can help you come up with a design you’ll be happy with.  There are a lot of people around here who have the skill to do a quality mock up (emblazon) of your arms as well.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

27 April 2011 13:58

I would have to echo that getting members only help through this website with paid membership in the AHS has been very helpful for my projects.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

27 April 2011 16:04

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it.  I am definitely heeding your advice and am signing up for a membership.  I had originally planned on doing that but haven’t gotten around to it so I guess it’s time.  smile

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

27 April 2011 22:48

Well we look forward to seeing a future post in the design area smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 April 2011 23:02

Welcome aboard!

When you do have access to the Members areas, you might want to take a look at a few of our earlier design projects for fellow members—more for thoughts on how to go about it than for specific design ideas, since originality and uniqueness are important.

It would also help us—both to get to know you, and for possible ideas—to give us a little background on your personal passions, your immediate and more distant family background (assuming that’s important to you), as well as any ideas you’ve been playing with.  Don’t worry about artwork at this stage, unless you already have some drafts or are a whiz at computer art.

In the end, however, what we offer is a sounding board, hopefully useful ideas, and sometimes some nice preliminary artwork—the final decision will be up to you and your family, to the extent you want to include them.