Arms Part III

J. Stolarz

J. Stolarz
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  30-11-2007

15 May 2011 21:58

David Pope;83073 wrote:

What about this, but lose the embattling on the fess?

So, Or a fess vert charged with three roundels of the field between three mullets sable.

An improvement, since the embattled part looks a bit out of place to me.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

15 May 2011 22:01

No 24;83071 wrote:

That was a beast of a thread…

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv16b.png

Yeah, yeah, okay… Here is a big, green, technic beam. And funny thing, I think it’s got huge potential.

More on the Technic beam - it is modern and I understand that modern icons should be avoided. Be that as it may, it’s also comprised of traditional heraldic charges. I love that duality, I just think its neat.

I’ve tried numerous charges as you are all aware (sorry for the visual diarrhea) and for the most part they haven’t meant anything to me personally. The notable exception would be my rat charge.

I agree, this does have a lot of potential.

And, I also agree, that many of the charges didn’t have personal meaning to you.  That’s why it was so easy to come up with new charges on every shield.  I still think that if the rat has that much meaning to you then that’s what you should use.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

15 May 2011 22:02
Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Total Posts:  226
Joined  23-04-2010

15 May 2011 22:02

I like the embattled fess. :(

David Pope
j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

15 May 2011 22:08
Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

15 May 2011 22:10

Does embattled have to be on both sides of the fess, or is that left up to an individual herald’s discretion?

Jesse - yes, the rat does mean a lot. But getting this shield right means a lot as well.

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

15 May 2011 22:19

No 24;83080 wrote:

Does embattled have to be on both sides of the fess, or is that left up to an individual herald’s discretion?

Embattled is just the top edge; embattled, counterembattled is both the top and the bottom edges.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

15 May 2011 23:02

No 24;83051 wrote:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv30small.png

I know some folks aren’t happy with a colored charge atop a divided field, I love it. Here is a wolf (or lobo as they say in New Mexico) charge.

To play devil’s advocate, it sort of looks like the wolf is emerging from the darkness into the light.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

15 May 2011 23:10

There was a request for background information, so here ya go. On my mom’s side we have English, German, Polish and probably some flavor of Native American (popular theory being Cherokee.)

On Dad’s side we’ve got Spanish, Mexican and Aztec. Like my Mom’s side, the indigenous blood is a guess. In this case, I think it’s really a good one. The Spanish came over to the new world and eventually intermingled with the native people (the ones they didn’t kill.) I’m not claiming any kind of Indian status mind you, just that it’s in the mix. Also, popular rumor says that my paternal grandmother might have been half Irish. That was one of Pop’s favorite tales so I’d take it with a grain of salt.

I do not necessarily identify as Hispanic and I’ve been refereed to as a coconut (brown on the outside, white on the inside.)

I am an American by birth, I am a Texan by the grace of God. Yeah, I know, it’s how we’re raised. It is happy chance that brought me to New Mexico and gave me a wife and two loving children.

I’m no writer, so if I think of something else I’ll post when it comes to me. As of right now, I’m thinking about leopards…

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

15 May 2011 23:12

Joseph McMillan;83058 wrote:

My terriers are appalled by this kind of moral relativism.  They also want to know just who it is that thinks of wolves in the negative, but I can’t answer for the consequences of telling them.

Go ahead, Joe, tell them.  My border collie mix isn’t too thrilled about it either.  But she puts up with it, after all, I feed her.

For the rest of the thread:

Or a rat sable on a chief embattled vert three bezants (unsure if this should just be three roundels because they are same color as field)

Argent a rat sable on a chief embattled vert three bezants.

(keep the rat, upside down techno thingy?)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

15 May 2011 23:32

No 24;83071 wrote:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv16b.png

Yeah, yeah, okay… Here is a big, green, technic beam. And funny thing, I think it’s got huge potential.

More on the Technic beam - it is modern and I understand that modern icons should be avoided. Be that as it may, it’s also comprised of traditional heraldic charges. I love that duality, I just think its neat.

I’ve tried numerous charges as you are all aware (sorry for the visual diarrhea) and for the most part they haven’t meant anything to me personally. The notable exception would be my rat charge.

I like this actually (said the guy who uses a bar dancetty to represent a rope tension drum). On a technical note, I would reduce the number of castellations on the fess to 4, which would be more accurate for the technic beam for that number of holes. And it would also look better IMO. I would blazon it Or a Fess embattled Vert voided of three roundels between three Compass Roses Sable if you want the circles to be holes. That way the circles would be voided rather than built up in an artistic rendering that included modeling. However a more traditional blazon (which might give a different visual) would be Or on a Fess embattled Vert between three Compass Roses Sable three Bezants.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

16 May 2011 00:22

Kenneth, in this case I think voided is highly appropriate. I’m now considering the whole package of arms and crest and mantling, which is something I’ve never done before. I’ve always put primary focus on the shield, to the exclusion of all else. I know that my rat charge will translate nicely as a crest. Mantling is is vert and or with sable in there somewhere. Moto needs to refer to perseverance.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Joined  20-04-2011

16 May 2011 00:26

No 24;83086 wrote:

Kenneth, in this case I think voided is highly appropriate. I’m now considering the whole package of arms and crest and mantling, which is something I’ve never done before. I’ve always put primary focus on the shield, to the exclusion of all else. I know that my rat charge will translate nicely as a crest. Mantling is is vert and or with sable in there somewhere. Moto needs to refer to perseverance.

I have always thought that your badge would be a fantastic crest.  I think that would be the way to go.  But I also think that the demi-pegasus holding a sword/dagger in his mouth would also be really nice.

Jonathan Dominguez

Jonathan Dominguez
Joined  23-04-2010

16 May 2011 01:44

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/PRv16art.png

I’m pretty sure that Joseph will think this is a bit of a stretch and I respect his opinion a lot, so that will disappoint me. However, I think this device is just really neat looking. Now, do I make the fess gules or would that be too much? If I did go with gules than a red pegasus for a crest would follow nicely. Right now, using vert, it would be easy to go with a rat.