Assistance translating the de Vienne arms

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

11 May 2011 03:04

I was trying to figure out the crest of Jean de Vienne, Admiral of France, but I can’t quite understand what the French blazon describes. The blazon of the arms themselves, for those interested, are de gueules à l’aigle d’or chargée en coeur d’un croissant de sable. From what I can make out, the arms are "gules an eagle Or charged on the heart with a crescent sable". Now, the crest is blazoned as la tête de l’aigle dans un vol banneret de gueules, sur une couronne d’or. Is anyone able to translate this?

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

11 May 2011 03:25

here’s something for a start…

la tête de l’aigle dans un vol banneret de gueules, sur une couronne d’or

the head of the eagle in a banneret flight of faces, on a gold crown

(I used an internet translator so it’s probably a poor translation)

Jeff Poole

Jeff Poole
Total Posts:  138
Joined  07-03-2009

11 May 2011 05:22

How about, out of a coronet Or on a flying Banner Gules the head of an eagle

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 May 2011 06:24

Five years of French and my kid gets: "The head of something something, on something gold."

FIVE YEARS!  ACK!  Glad her Europe trip this summer includes England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland….  At least we KNOW americans don’t speak any of those languages well… :animlol:

From "reverse" web translation:  The head of the eagle in a flight(theft) banneret of mouths, on a golden crown

As I cut down the words and translate pieces, I’m getting:

la tête de l’aigle dans un vol = The head of the eagle in a flight(theft)

de gueules = of mouths

I’m not getting anything reasonable in translation for Banneret - Are we sure it’s a banner?

The golden crown part we got, The head of the eagle - yep.  What I’m having a wonder at is the eagles head on a banner or is the banner in it’s mouth.  And is the banner and coronet gold… ?  OR could it be an eagle in flight with the banneret in it’s mouth?

OK - ameteur translation failure is done…. :0

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

11 May 2011 07:09

I don’t think high school (or even college) French is going to help with this.

Courtesy of the heraldic terms translator at http://heraldica.org/cgi-bin/translat.pl a "vol-banneret" is a French heraldic term for a vol (a pair of wings conjoined) made in the stylized medieval form used for crests.

http://heraldica.org/topics/glossary/pics/312.jpg

Gueules is (surprise) Gules, red.

So, upon a crown Or an eagle’s head within [i.e., between the wings of] a "vol-banneret."

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

11 May 2011 12:58

Kathy McClurg;82812 wrote:

Five years of French and my kid gets: "The head of something something, on something gold."

Look at the situation as glass half full for a minute. If your kid ever finds a head made of gold, he will be set. Sure, that makes no sense—but if anyone would be able to describe it, it will be your child.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

11 May 2011 13:09

Joseph McMillan;82813 wrote:

\

So, upon a crown Or an eagle’s head within [i.e., between the wings of] a "vol-banneret."

Thank you very much Mr McMillan, the vol banneret had me very much confused. And thanks for everyone else that pitched in.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

11 May 2011 21:39

Joseph McMillan;82813 wrote:

Gueules is (surprise) Gules, red.

So, are the eagles head and Vol-Banneret red?

Upon a crown Or an eagle’s head within a vol-banneret Gules?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 May 2011 22:21

Yes, I should have put "Gules" at the end of the blazon.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

01 June 2011 02:40
Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

01 June 2011 09:45

I don’t think so—the wings are too realistic.  My understanding is that a vol-banneret should look like a pair of wings made out of plywood, very stylized, as shown in the picture from heraldica.org above.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

01 June 2011 10:24

Everything I’ve been able to find would indicate that they are squared-off banners of peacock feathers, which would seem to describe the illustration Joe has provided.

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

02 June 2011 04:09

xanderliptak;83804 wrote:

So something like this?

Well, this largely depends on a heraldist’s taste and attitude. If we decide that a vol banneret is actually just a vol and the difference is purely artistical, then probably yes.

I am putting aside the anachronism in the insignia [first of all, the Admiral’s heraldic anchor in its - as far as I know - later form]. Your image shown below looks (to me) more plausible in this respect.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJK12fKb3lez8U8enaDHvnqM-WFqWQbCbi_325WBZ7qCrBRvatzg